Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wheatie silver ratio

Posted by coinhunter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Wheatie silver ratio
April 12, 2010 11:08PM
Last year I hunted an old school yard. Found about a dozen wheaties in one area and no silver. I was very supprized not to find any silver. Usually where wheaties are, silver exists. Today I went to this same school yard and detected the other side of the yard where I found the wheaties last year.

5.5" down my DFX detected a 1949 Roosie! Finally some silver. I did dig one wheatie prior to the silver dime. Also, a few weeks ago, in this same area I did find a Bicent Kennedy half dollar.

Well, I'll be back to this same spot soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2010 12:56AM by coinhunter.
Re: Wheatie silver ratio
April 15, 2010 11:47AM
Thats what I've always thought too. Only thing I can think of is those who are using vdi's who can tell the difference between penny dime are cherry picking. I know alot of machines cant however my old 6000 di could.
Its really interesting though, some of the things you will find sometimes, in the most obvious places. Like the 1900 indian I found, only in 5 inches last month in my favorite old historic park which has been pounded and pounded for over 40 yrs. Its in very fine condition, probably dropped at least a 100 yrs ago! It was in heavy trash, and I was using a 3 inch coil on my 1266x Magnum, however, it reads zinc penny on the CZ's and my V3. Maybe thats why know one dug it...even if they ran over it.
Who knows....
April 15, 2010 03:56PM
it is my opinion,that indian was "masked",because "most" experienced hunters WOULD
DIG that target IF it indicated it was buried at the 5" level,REGARDLESS if the numbers showed "zinc"..in my opinion,one of the best features of modern detectors IS the depth meter,because ANYTHING found below the 3" level IS worth investigating!

(h.h!)
j.t.
April 15, 2010 05:05PM
Yes, that's true,and that's why it pays to be patient and hunt in the trash with a small coil, you just have to know your limits or you'll go pulltab crazy.
Aaron
April 16, 2010 01:28AM
very true Aaron!..especially "tails"..very disconcerting!
to the 'most" patient with "proper" equipment go the spoils!

(h.h!)
j.t.