Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ready to trade my 2-month old Deus for a CTX

Posted by psyvad 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Ready to trade my 2-month old Deus for a CTX
January 06, 2015 09:42PM
Although there's A LOT to love about the Deus, the tones just aren't clicking for me and I've come to the realization that I'm much more of a "target ID" hunter than a "tone" hunter. Most of the time I get out detecting it's only for an hour or so, and maybe that's why I'm not grasping the Deus language.

Anyway… if there are any CTX owners wanting to trade for a like-new Deus (11" Coil, Remote, WS4 headphones) that's less than 2 months old with around 20 hours of use (purchased from Ed Huffman / Treasure Mountain Metal Detectors), let me know. I also have the original box and all packaging and also some extra items including the silicone cover, car charger, extra coil charging clip, extra XP DEUS Cable USB 3 mini B.

Bart
Re: Ready to trade my 2-month old Deus for a CTX
January 07, 2015 03:34AM
I felt the same but after two months and digging and looking at the VDI I would never get a CTX too heavy and too much to do to program..no new updates I'm going to keep what I have in my stable and maybe add the new racer or CoRe...to me that is where the money is and with updates on the deus and they all have been great and it is on fire in the US I think the company will do things to program it to keep us..Not like how other companies have treated us..We have buying power and have hunted for many years they better make us happy or we will move on...Just my thought don't mean to step on anyones fingers that are CTX users..different strokes for different folks

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 07, 2015 08:36AM
Ctx CAN be updated if Minelab so chooses.
January 07, 2015 09:15AM
ctx way to go...
January 07, 2015 10:30AM
The CTX had one update a few weeks after the launch. The pinpoint lock feature and saltwater feature were added. Nothing has been done since then. Just like the Deus forums many people have chimed in about things they would like to see updated. But Minelab has ignored the thoughts of their customers the entire time. The CTX is a wonderful machine, but as we all know on this forum Nokta has raised the bar about listening to their customers. The update feature was promoted for the CTX when it was launched. Yes they did one update. But who in the hell is going to trust Minelab in the future when they put it on their next model? How much did people spend of their hard earned cash for a feature that Minelab ignored? Customer relationship is a big time topic in our hobby. Minelab sure didn't have any qualms about raising the prices of their detectors lately. The price of the Excalibur has been raised at least three times in the last couple years. I love Minelab detectors so I hate to come off so negative. But they got their heads up their behinds when it comes to certain things. Detector weight being one also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2015 10:43AM by goodmore.
January 07, 2015 11:32AM
Everything said about the updates and weight are true but the CTX is a great machine in my book.

I had a Deus and the CTX at the same time and knew that I would need to sell one or the other. After using both for a couple months I decided to sell the Deus and keep the CTX. I have never regretted that decision.

The guy that bought the Deus ask why I was keeping the Ctx and not the Deus. There was several reasons with being waterproof being one of them. About two weeks after the guy got the Deus he was crossing a shallow creek and slipped drowning the Deus control module. $750.00 bucks.

Anyway they are both great machines.
January 07, 2015 11:34AM
I use my CTX a lot more than my DEUS, and it's awesome in water. If I was doing more iron sites it would be the other way around.

Aaron
January 07, 2015 05:12PM
Thanks LowBoy. I've enjoyed reading your posts and watching your videos over the years. I'm in El Dorado Hills, which isn't too far from your neck of the woods.

There are so many things to like about the Deus, but the one thing it doesn't have (in my very limited experience) is a consistent accurate target ID. My F75 and Safari that I traded towards the Deus purchase had excellent target ID. The CTX seems to have a much better balance than the Safari, so I don't think the weight will be a problem. Guess I'll just put it up for sale, although the recent price drop appears to have knocked a couple of hundred dollars off what is was worth a week ago.

Bart
January 07, 2015 05:36PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I felt the same but after two months and digging
> and looking at the VDI I would never get a CTX too
> heavy and too much to do to program..no new
> updates I'm going to keep what I have in my stable
> and maybe add the new racer or CoRe...to me that
> is where the money is and with updates on the deus
> and they all have been great and it is on fire in
> the US I think the company will do things to
> program it to keep us..Not like how other
> companies have treated us..We have buying power
> and have hunted for many years they better make us
> happy or we will move on...Just my thought don't
> mean to step on anyones fingers that are CTX
> users..different strokes for different folks

Too heavy? Maybe. Too much to do to program? Compared to a DEUS? You have to be kidding LowBoy! CTX is a no brainer compared to a DEUS in my opinion which is why after two months you feel like maybe, just maybe you are getting a handle on the DEUS. CTX is turn on and go by comparison. Minelab gets grief over it but the bottom line is you do not need to update what works, and the CTX works. They could give us another tone bin, that would be nice, but there is no update going to make it actually detect any better. CTX all the way for me.

I will be at the Minelab convention in a month as guest speaker and I will lobby hard for an update for the CTX though. It would be a good gesture if nothing else because the lack of anything since that first go round is sending a bad message that people have been forgotten of ignored. True or not, perception is reality.
January 07, 2015 05:55PM
If they could put the CTX brains in an xterra body they would really have something. It isn't a maybe on the weight for me. The CTX is a very nice machine. But the upper shaft also needs redesigned. Sand and salt tear it up. I don't expect them to change the CTX but please look into it for the next generation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2015 06:01PM by goodmore.
January 07, 2015 06:23PM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If they could put the CTX brains in an xterra body
> they would really have something. It isn't a maybe
> on the weight for me. The CTX is a very nice
> machine. But the upper shaft also needs
> redesigned. Sand and salt tear it up. I don't
> expect them to change the CTX but please look into
> it for the next generation.

Totally agree. I think getting the unit out first as a top end high price unit is just smart marketing. But then follow up later with lighter weight less expensive designs. No circuit work or anything needed, no field tests blah blah blah, just start building lightweight ergonomic detectors using existing circuits.

Minelab is well aware of their reputation and they do have a sense of humor about it. When I was at the last convention they were joking about how "Minelab means slow and heavy!" To that I would add expensive. The engineers there are very, very much all about genuine performance and ergonomics takes a back seat. I think most would agree however Minelab is the company most often pushing the edge with genuinely new patented processes. Half the time the only company they are competing with is themselves. The only company that ever builds a better PI than Minelab is Minelab. For years they have pretty much ruled multifrequency. Fisher has the CZ and White's DFX and v3i. I would LOVE to see Fisher knock Minelab on their butt with a new CZ or other multifrequency design. As always, ergonomics is the low hanging fruit. But Fisher seems no more inclined to give us a lightweight CZ than Minelab is a lightweight FBS detector. Maybe White's will strip the VX3 down and stuff it in the MX5 box?

You can bet this all will get talked about but it does year after year. I told them years ago when I went to the UK packing my F75 that Minelab lacks a lightweight fast machine for Europe. Now they have DEUS to contend with and nothing at all for that niche. I may be puffing myself up here but if I could go back and have every company look at what I told them years before it went down they would all realize I have almost always been spot on. But they all live in bubbles, at least until now. Maybe Nokta/Makro will change that.
January 07, 2015 06:50PM
You may want to wait and see what the Nokta Racer fairs in actual use. I have a Deus and love it, but I live in a area of NC that has high iron content and red clay with mineralization. But even then, I think the Deus is a great all around detector. Never used a CTX but hopefully one day will get the chance to swing one for comparison. For that reason I cannot say the Deus over it but just that the Deus works for me.