Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Iffy id on James 1st Hammered Half groat

Posted by john wright 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Iffy id on James 1st Hammered Half groat
April 15, 2010 11:52PM
Hi Everyone I've just joined the forum this evening on the advice of a friend in the UK,he said there would be lots of F75 users on this forum.
My question is: Yesterday I found a James 1st Half Groat 1603, my second Hammered coin.
The signal ID was very erratic on my F75 jumping around from 30'S TO 60 although the sound{using two tone} was good enough to dig. Having retrieved the coin from a depth of 6" I placed it on the ground to check the reading again because my first silver hammered had a far more stable ID with a much higher reading, The reading was the same very erratic.
Over night I kept thinking about this scenario and decided to return to the spot the next day and replace the coin in the hole and study it.
Next day I found the hole,checked there were no other signals in or around it placed the coin in at 6" flat down and replaced the plug...Sure enough it gave the same readings,I then started to walk around the target,at 180 degrees the target gave a distinct two way iron grunt and somewhere in between I was getting a double signal as if it were tilted at an angle showing two edges...Anyone got any thoughts on this...Regards from the UK John
Re: Iffy id on James 1st Hammered Half groat
April 16, 2010 12:36AM
First.........take a Rare Earth magnet to it. (A regular magnet may not give the needed answers).

Second........perform an air-test on this coin...to see what it ID's.....and if the ID numbers are 'stable'. (This test removes the 'ground' and associated minerals.

Were you using ANY Discrimination?

How bad is your ground mineralization?
April 16, 2010 02:53AM
Man, a 410 year old coin, thats awesome! I'd be happy if I could find a coin half that age. Congratulations and welcome to the forum!
Aaron
dgc
April 16, 2010 03:36AM
Welcome John. The F75 is very sensitive to small targets and even changes in soil mineralization. Very minute flakes of iron nearby can cause erratic signals from a good target. The flakes or specks may not even sound off in a 0 discriminate setup. So you may not even realize they are there. Read Tom's article on masking. You can find it under articles on the Dankowski Detectors home page. He cites an example where a small, thin staple interferes with detection of a good target without having an audible tone of its own.