Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F75 LTD2 Field Report

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F75 LTD2 Field Report
January 09, 2015 06:17PM
Now that I've got about 50 hours of use on my DST upgraded Camo F75 LTD, so I wanted to share some of my thoughts on it.

First it's important to keep in mind that every environment is different, what may work well in the inert soils of Florida, may not work well in the highly mineralized soils of California.

I've had my F75 LTD since 2009 and have put thousands of hours on it, it's been, for the most part, a pretty good machine, although not without it's faults. I've always felt that it was not particularly good with dime sized and smaller silver once it gets past 6" of depth (and that's in BP mode with sensitivity as high as possible, and single digit discrimination). It's always been amazing on deep low conductors, such as gold and lead, even tiny droplets of lead, which is not something that I'm particularly interested in finding, but I know some of the civil war site hunters are after these types of low conductors.

I sent my F75 to FT in mid November and they were able to get it back to me with the DST upgrades, and a new coil by the first week of December.

My first trip out with it was at an 1870's abandoned rail road depot station. The station is no longer present, but their are modern tracks running next to it that are still in use, and there's various types of utilities burried along the tracks. This spot turned out to be unhuntable for me, with my F75 spewing TID numbers out like a stock ticker during a major rally. It really didn't matter what setting I used on the F75, it was simply an unhuntable site, which, much to my dismay was exactly what I thought the DST upgrade was supposed to address. My buddy was hunting with his Explorer2 and had no issues at this site. I found that going forward, it actually ran fine at other sites, so there was something at this RR depot that was like kryptonite for the F75.

I rehunted an old site that I'd hit before with high voltage power lines above it, and previously my F75 was pretty chattery, but it was still usable. With the DST upgrade, it ran very quite here.

I hunted an old 1840's hilltop adobe site that a friend and I did a bunch of research to locate, and we had previously found a 1776 Spanish silver reale, 1825 bust half, barber dime, and a 1849 $5 gold coin. On a subsequent trip the site was pounded with an Explorer2, Etrac, and Blisstool and no coins or relics were found. This trip, I gridded the site and found a blackpowder muzzle loader, couple of musket balls, and my first ever bust half, a 1836 bust half dollar at a good 8" + deep! My hunting partner also found a mid 1800's Mexican reale.

At another early California site, I found a trigger guard off of an old Spanish musket, lamp parts, musket balls, and a shoe buckle that was gold gilted with designs like the ones they find back east at those old colonial cellar holes. My buddy called me over when he got into a three ringer bullet drop spot, he almost had them all cleaned it out, but I managed snagged one smiling smiley

I hunted a few times using the FA mode, and didn't really find it to my liking. Has kind of a delayed/artificial sound to it. BP mode works great. I haven't tried all metal mode as I've never really hunted with it. The various 2 tone modes work great. This was all using the 9.0 program, the 9.1 program has too much audio delay for me.

My hunting was with both the stock 11" DD coil as well as the NEL Sharpshooter coil. Both performed excellently, although I found something interesting with the NEL coil. It had a propensity to produce good sounding high tones on large iron relics, whereas the factory 11" DD did not.

For me, the bottom line is that I do see some appreciable differences with the DST mode, and while it may not 100% correct some of the F75 shortcomings/challenges, I appreciate the fact that Fisher finally listended to the field and made an attempt to make it a better machine. I hope going forward we'll continue to see improvements, but hopefully they don't take five years to get them to us the next time smiling smiley

Happy hunting,
Brian
Re: F75 LTD2 Field Report
January 09, 2015 06:37PM
Great write up, Brian!

HH
Mike
January 09, 2015 06:44PM
Hi Brian,,,,I actually have several questions to ask you so I will number them....#1 what is the version of your upgrade?....#2 could you clarify this statement.... "I've always felt that it was not particularly good with dime sized and smaller silver once it gets past 6" of depth (and that's in BP mode with sensitivity as high as possible, and single digit discrimination)" ....#3 are you saying that the DSP mode has delayed audio?....That's enough questions for now I may have more later....I will also make a few comments later....Thanks for the informative post & I love the half etc.....JJ
January 10, 2015 12:48AM
Nice write up Brian. I just got mine and am waiting for a little warmth around here so I can try it out.
January 10, 2015 01:20AM
Good write up ...

Most important is Love the Half AWESOME FIND!!!!

Ive always wanted a bust half...CONGRATS..

yes the 9.1 in my opinioin is useless...Should not even be there....would save alot of confusion....whats bad is that was going to be the only mode to begin with...then they went back and put in two versions after feedback.. ....there both DST it so seems just the 9.0 on mine is about like the pre DST F75 just quite....

with that said I see the F75 still as always while in BP mode has a hard time on small targets at depth or in bad dirt ...JE mode takes care of most of this...as well as adding the 5x10 DD ...

now on the F75 SE V2 the whole machine is more processed so you do notice some slight lag in even the 9.0 retro mode...

But minute.. and the quitness overshadows it....

Keith
January 10, 2015 01:38AM
Very nice - thank you!

It would have been interesting to try 9.1 at the "kryptonite site". It is possible that 9.1 actually has a reason for existing.
January 10, 2015 02:14AM
Good report dude....and congratulations on the half!!!
January 10, 2015 02:51AM
Sweet Bust Half! What a thrill, man.
January 11, 2015 08:54AM
jimmyjiver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Brian,,,,I actually have several questions to
> ask you so I will number them....

#1 what is the version of your upgrade?....

Mine is the November upgrade (11-14-14 I believe).

#2 could you clarify
> this statement.... "I've always felt that it was
> not particularly good with dime sized and smaller
> silver once it gets past 6" of depth (and that's
> in BP mode with sensitivity as high as possible,
> and single digit discrimination)" ....

I've never felt it was good at detecting dime sized and smaller silver coins once they reached 6" or greater in depth. I've pulled a measured 10" deal SLQ, some deeper silver halfs, but it's performance on dimes has never measured up to say a Minelab FBS unit (in my soil), once they get past 6" the TID goes to heck on them and the signal is weak. I'd expect it to be able to get a strong signal to at least 8" considering this is their top of the line $1299 machine.

#3 are you saying that the DSP mode has delayed
> audio?....That's enough questions for now I may
> have more later....I will also make a few comments
> later....Thanks for the informative post & I love
> the half etc.....JJ

The 9.1 mode has delayed audio in BP mode so much so that I personally find it unusable. I was hunting an old adobe trading post site that has a sea of square nails, and tried FA mode and it found that the audio was not pronounced, it was delayed and garbled together. I switched back to BP mode and it was fine. This was in 9.0 mode.

Hope that helps.
Brian
January 11, 2015 08:58AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good write up ...
>
> Most important is Love the Half AWESOME FIND!!!!
>
> Ive always wanted a bust half...CONGRATS..
>
> yes the 9.1 in my opinioin is useless...Should not
> even be there....would save alot of
> confusion....whats bad is that was going to be the
> only mode to begin with...then they went back and
> put in two versions after feedback.. ....there
> both DST it so seems just the 9.0 on mine is about
> like the pre DST F75 just quite....
>
> with that said I see the F75 still as always while
> in BP mode has a hard time on small targets at
> depth or in bad dirt ...JE mode takes care of most
> of this...as well as adding the 5x10 DD ...
>
> now on the F75 SE V2 the whole machine is more
> processed so you do notice some slight lag in
> even the 9.0 retro mode...
>
> But minute.. and the quitness overshadows it....
>
> Keith

Keith do you believe running JE mode would solve my issue on it detecting silver dimes deeper then 6" ? It'll detect the snot out of deep low conductors in BP mode, but deep silver dimes are a concern. I've always felt that was the weak spot for this machine, but other than that it's been a great detector.

Thanks,
Brian