Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What's next from Nokta/Makro??

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What's next from Nokta/Makro??
January 21, 2015 05:58AM
Maybe a built in Mp3 player so we can listen to music. When detector gets a good signal, music shuts off and detector tone comes through when over target. Who knows?? They are/will be a formidable force to be reckoned with. And this 4aa battery power choice/use is very attractive. The old slide in heavy batteries some companies require are/will be falling by the wayside. And just think Blue Tooth offered by a relatively new detector company. Shame, shame on some of the older companies. The train just got faster, it has already left the station. Maybe they will offer extended warranty for a fee? I can see an updateable software unit coming from them in short order. And their prices seem very reasonable. If they continue to have excellent service provided from abroad as they already have, the cat will come out of the bag. Noktas and Makros will start hatching like rabbits in short order. Their representative Dilek appears to have their ear to the ground and is communicating. Just a good ole common sense approach to success. I will enjoy this train ride. I'm already aboard, is everyone else???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 05:59AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: What's next from Nokta/Makro??
January 21, 2015 08:39AM
You all probably think I am the most negative person on the forum. I guess I am just not as easily impressed as some are. Some of the features being offered and wanted, are just bells and whistle items IMO. They don't really add to the performance of the detector, and don't really put any more finds in the bag at the end of the day. Heck they could add a grip hand warmer to it if they wanted to, but that still don't make it go deeper into the ground, have better target ID, or better separation.

When it comes to picking a detector to hunt a site, I'm going to select the one I think can handle the situation the best. Whether it be a open pasture with very little trash, an old homesite loaded with iron, or a beach or park filled with modern trash, or old trash, or both. I'm not going to select the machine based on their PR status with the people. I'm not not going to select one because it has a light on it, or handwarmer, or anything like that. I'm going after performance. You all seem to be requesting nitpicky items that don't really have an impact on performance. They might be quick to cater to the demands for nitpicky items....but what about performance enhancing items? We need a company willing to make a new high water mark in PERFORMANCE for all other companies to strive to meet or surpass.

Color...I care not. I see a lot of grumbling over this one being red...or this one being camo. If it has the performance I'm after, it could be hot pink and white for all I care.

Does it have a built in light...I care not. Lights are so small and compact today, you can stick one on your detector with no problem, if you needed to have one.

Does it have bluetooth, etc....not a fan of the wireless/digital sound of things myself.

----------------------------------

What I'm looking for is that new high water mark from a detector in performance. Depth is always a big issue. Somebody needs to break out of the pack and bring us one machine with the ability to eliminate 5 or more niche machines from the arsenal. This could easily be done via modes or programs....some detectors already have the basic DNA for what I am referring to.

Example:

Say this new detector is setup like a smartphone. Maybe it has a touch screen. You are gonna be hunting a site with war relics on it...and already know its not a very trashy site. So you're after depth. You could go into the menu, and select the option of say the F75 Boost mode. You push it....and now your machine loads the program for that. Your detector is now running deep into the ground and you can tweak a few sub settings for sensitivity, tones, etc. And even an option for speeding the recovery speed up or slowing it down some for even better ID at depth. Okay...now you run into a spot in the field where an old dwelling once stood, and you run into a lot of iron. The raw power of the F75 is too much...so now with the same detector, you hit menu, bring up the F-19 or Deus program....the machine loads the program and changes operating frequency and speeds the default recovery speed up. Now you can hunt the iron patch better. In the sub menu for this, you can change sensitivity, tones, and also the recovery speed. This sounds similar to how the Deus is now, except in a newer platform. I would like to see the setting changes have a very noticed effect when you change them, just exactly like having different detectors for each program...unlike the Deus, in which you can change OP frequency and or programs, and only see a marginal difference from its lowest op freq to the highest.

Now another feature the unit has, is ground analysis. Say you have the option of running several different OP frequencies with the same coil, etc. But you often wonder which would be best in the ground.

Now you can go into this new feature and let the machine get a soil sample reading...and then give you a list of which freq it determines to be the best...for no matter where you hunt or soil conditions.

In addition to this...you have a new feature called Snapshot. What it does, is the machine has a micro SD card slot in it. You put a card in it...and it has a button you press on the screen to activate it or deactivate. When turned on, when you get a signal, it saves a snap shot of all the target info in a file for viewing on your PC later. It will tell data from how the detector saw the signal...what the ID number was, what its ferrous and conductive content was, the depth reading, the soil reading, time of day, date, etc. It would just be a bonus feature to further examine your detector and how it is reading specific targets and sites. Might let you put a good pattern together for better IDs of trash and good targets later on.

I have several more ideas I would like to see manifested but I doubt we ever will see them or anything close. As long as folks are content with what we have now, and the only things they can come up with wanting are color changes, etc...then oh well.

If we can't get any more depth...then the focus should be on conquering the trash in the ground and making target ID more accurate at the depths we can currently achieve.

But if we can get depth...then we need to be pushing VLF machines to the brink of current pulse machine ground handling capability and depth. Or coming out with some other technology besides those two.

THAT is what is going to get my attention and separate the money from my wallet.
January 21, 2015 10:10AM
Not sure I would want the 'snapshot' feature.......... but all else is correct.
January 21, 2015 11:05AM
Daniel wrote:
They might be quick to cater to the demands for nitpicky items....but what about performance enhancing items? We need a company willing to make a new high water mark in PERFORMANCE for all other companies to strive to meet or surpass.

If we can't get any more depth...then the focus should be on conquering the trash in the ground and making target ID more accurate at the depths we can currently achieve.

Comments:
Have you used a CoRe unit with small coil??? I can say PERFORMANCE!!!! Best "knife" coil performance I've seen with depth very good for overall coil size..
Have you used CoRe unit and listened to the audio??? I can say PERFORMANCE!!! As a matter a fact the audio is so good on the CoRe unit, I can understand more about what's going in the ground with it without headphones, versus my F75SE while wearing headphones. Keith should probably do a video with the CoRe unit while sweeping with large coil attached. The intelligence of the different tones and how the machine rolls from one to the other is phenomenal. Like it's talking to you. Almost like you can hear the nonferrous tone a coming before it gets there.
Have you used a CoRe unit and watched the TID at depth. I can say performance!!! It's fascinating at how steady it is. Trash hunters dream, especially with small coil attached!!
Sure some additional things Nokta/Makro offer may not be performance "enhancing" to the letter, but make the machine more user friendly. I look at the BIG picture. I'm not going to spend or dwell the rest of what little metal detecting time I have on DEPTH. There are good reasons why substantial depth increases have not been attained. Got to be tied to EMI handling, signal processing limitations, and power requirements just to name a few.
January 21, 2015 11:24AM
speach commands to hop thru the multiple frequencies when checking targets ? radar ?
January 21, 2015 03:31PM
YES to all except the small coil. And my honest opinion on it...is that you all are too easily impressed. There's nothing special about the depth or ID of that machine. Especially in my soil. There, it reads non ferrous as IRON just like a bulk of other VLF machines already on the market. And if you go by audio on what it reports as iron...you'll dig next to nothing deep, and walk right over a lot of good stuff. Some of you guys crack me up. Reminds me of the brown nosers at work when they get a new boss or supervisor. There's no level they wont stoop to, in attempts to flatter the boss.

In the mean time, you all can be happy with flashlights, handwarmers, etc. I just hope somebody don't stumble on any of your sites that really knows what they are doing with a high powered machine. Cause they will flat clean it out for ya.

This was in one of my better sites, in dig it all mode. Couple minies. Couple button backs and small non ferrous stuff

------------------------------

Until you consider that the stuff in these other pic was dug in the same site/spot with the MXT Pro after being there with the CoRe. The huntable area of this site is really small right now...they've not bush hogged it in a while and left the huntable area of it less than a half acre. And not pictured are a few things I've dug with the MXT and Minelab GP there...one other minie, and 4 dropped colt .44 bullets, 1888 indian head cent, and a brass rosette.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 03:48PM by Daniel Tn.
January 21, 2015 03:33PM
does it have a telescopic shaft even ?
January 21, 2015 04:43PM
We will find out and then see if Keith keeps it in one hand day and night and never lets go of it. This company is going to get a shot of the real stuff if it doesn't fly. You can't fool us with talk we want will be the ones that make it or break it on this forum. I may get the other machine less Deus comes out with a killer small coil and the new software updates that knocks my socke off

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 21, 2015 05:01PM
Daniel Tn I agree with most of what you're saying. I've not used one of their machines, but am impressed with the fact that they listen to their customers. If the Red Racer is a deep seeker, and with good audio/TID, then all these extra features will be nice to have. Personally I think the backlight on my F75 sucks big time, the fact that I cannot shut it off, seriously, on a machine I paid $1300 for, wth? May not sound like a big deal, but if your hunting when there's no moon it blinds you. Yeah I can cover it up, but why should you have to, when every other machine with a backlight can simply disable it. I've had a love/hate relationship with my F75 since I got it. Is it a good machine, sometimes. Have I made a lot of good finds with it, yes, and some were super deep, I also believe I've missed a lot of good finds with it due to it's erratic behavior in respect to handling EMI and some other deficiencies . I believe FT has finally, after what, nine years, got the F75 to where it should've been when it was released.

I don't know what prompted FT to finally admit the unit had issues (I recall Dave J. saying the way it handled EMI was normal, seriously? and defending the always on backlight by saying it didn't take any extra power, seesh). BUT IT TOOK NINE FRICKEN YEARS!!!!! Then comes along some new'ish company that listens, it's a breath of fresh air. Are they deep seekers with good TID/Audio??? No idea, I'm not going to be the first one to buy one, but it's an interesting machine that I'm keeping an eye on, because if it has good depth with good TID/Audio in California dirt, then I personally will also enjoy the extra features they have built in.
January 21, 2015 05:02PM
Didn't they mention working on a vlf/PI hybrid? At least this company has shown the ability to bring things to fruition. I still think the next break through will be some kind of imaging.
January 21, 2015 05:31PM
I for one hope no metal detecting company puts a touch screen on a product..

If someone stumbles on your sites that Knows what there doing they dont need a MXT or a Nokta or a CTX if the stuff is not saturated in iron a old 4900 dl max will clean it out then some...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 07:53PM by Keith Southern.
January 21, 2015 07:42PM
New touch screens are pretty tough. Consider a new generation cell phone...they get carried with people everywhere they go, every day, of every week of the year. The only time they cracked is usually after multiple drops from several feet high on concrete. The average detectorist is not going to hunt every day for 8+ hours a day. I didn't like the idea either until I saw the newest generation fish sonars. All the top end ones are touch screen...color, high resolution, glare free, readable in direct sunlight, shockproof, and waterproof. Several have been in the field now for 2-3 years without problems.

Now what I was thinking of, was the availability of putting the device into a little case, like an Ottorbox for the phone. This will soften any drops and keep the control box weather resistant and water proof in some cases. Add in that several phones and cameras are now shockproof, dust proof, and water proof...I still think it's a great idea and thinking outside the box of the normal metal detector. You could wear it on your belt via a clip or since it would be light weight, you could keep it on the rod. It could even have a timer control where the screen goes black so that you don't accidentally push any controls. Heck, it would even have a built in camera so we could take pics in the field of our finds.

That may be too high tech for some people. I forget that some are like cats with a laser pointer and still giddy about lights.
January 21, 2015 07:52PM
you just went on a rant about..... "Some of the features being offered and wanted, are just bells and whistle items IMO. They don't really add to the performance of the detector, and don't really put any more finds in the bag at the end of the day. Heck they could add a grip hand warmer to it if they wanted to, but that still don't make it go deeper into the ground, have better target ID, or better separation."

but then you turn around and state...."That may be too high tech for some people. I
> forget that some are like cats with a laser
> pointer and still giddy about lights." over a detector having a touch screen like a phones does.......

not trying to start an argument but what am I missing?

Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> New touch screens are pretty tough. Consider a new
> generation cell phone...they get carried with
> people everywhere they go, every day, of every
> week of the year. The only time they cracked is
> usually after multiple drops from several feet
> high on concrete. The average detectorist is not
> going to hunt every day for 8+ hours a day. I
> didn't like the idea either until I saw the newest
> generation fish sonars. All the top end ones are
> touch screen...color, high resolution, glare free,
> readable in direct sunlight, shockproof, and
> waterproof. Several have been in the field now for
> 2-3 years without problems.
>
> Now what I was thinking of, was the availability
> of putting the device into a little case, like an
> Ottorbox for the phone. This will soften any drops
> and keep the control box weather resistant and
> water proof in some cases. Add in that several
> phones and cameras are now shockproof, dust proof,
> and water proof...I still think it's a great idea
> and thinking outside the box of the normal metal
> detector. You could wear it on your belt via a
> clip or since it would be light weight, you could
> keep it on the rod. It could even have a timer
> control where the screen goes black so that you
> don't accidentally push any controls. Heck, it
> would even have a built in camera so we could take
> pics in the field of our finds.
>
> That may be too high tech for some people. I
> forget that some are like cats with a laser
> pointer and still giddy about lights.
January 21, 2015 07:58PM
My main reason for Touch screen probolems is when im out detecting and my Phone rings ( Galaxy Note 2) if my hands are not clean of dirt or water or both its a nightmare to answer or even use...

Maybe if some sort of membrane was over it on a detector it would not be as bad...We dont need to watch videos so the cover maye not be that bad...and be a problems solver if the go touch screen..

I know on the DEUS though I hate the silicone cover, its a dirt stain collector...

I dont know..maybe we will use google glass and just tell the detector what we want LOL..

Im sure things in a decade or so will be off the chart on new Ideas..

Keith
January 21, 2015 08:27PM
A built-in GoPro might be handy.........

Tom in SC
January 22, 2015 01:58AM
BigBoar - Yep you missed it. Bells and whistles are what I consider to be baggage items. For the most part, people have been offering up nitpicking things they want to see in a detector. From the color of it, to what kind of switches and knobs it has or doesn't have.

Imo - A smart phone size control box would not be a baggage item. It would be lighter weight, water proof, and shock proof, which is something only offered in much heavier detectors. Add in that it could be wireless compatible for those that want it. The touch screen would appeal to the newer generation of people, whom are already familiar with how the touch screen devices work. It would have all the menu items laid out right on the screen with easy to maneuver controls. You could choose between a more complex menu of settings or a simplified menu where you have the basic control settings on one screen. No knobs to fool with and having to keep an eye on if hunting thick brush. No toggle controls to work or go out from dirt getting in the boot. Since its waterproof, just pour some bottled water over it if it gets dirty. Just an easy to access and control menu. You could even control how big the font on the screen is for the menu or ID numbers...just like on the phones or tablets. That way the folks with reading glasses wouldn't have to pull their glasses out every time they needed to make an adjustment or to see the lettering on the screen.

It wouldn't be for everybody but it would be a flagship model especially when combined with the ability to have the menu capabilities of swapping to other programs that behave like a whole other detector (described in another post above).

If you don't like the touch screen idea, you probably won't like my coil design idea either. I'm thinking of a single coil design. The only thing I can think of that is close to what I'm thinking of, is the Whites DF coil for the TDI pulse detector. You'll have a basic size coil...say a 9 inch coil. That would be the general search coil size. Good blend of depth and separation. Within this coil would be a hub (think of the spider coils and how they look). Which is actually it's own individual coil. If you ran into a trashy site, not only could you increase the reactivity speed...but you could go to the coil menu and select the small coil. Which would then turn off the signal from the big coil and activate the smaller coil. And now at the press of a button, you have a 3-5 inch coil without having to remove the other coil or invest in several rods and coils to change in the field.
January 22, 2015 02:07AM
Touch screens and metal detectors don't mix for me. It's hard enough keep the dirt/mud and dust off of a non-touch screen detector.
January 22, 2015 02:13AM
Garret built that coil in the 60s Daniel..

It was in there BFO units..But it used a Single winding since thays all a BFO needs...

Sort of hard to do that though with the way a VLF works...Dual windings transmit and recieve separated...

a P.I. can get by with it too in the way it works, single winding...

Keith
January 22, 2015 02:17AM
Imo - A smart phone size control box would not be a baggage item. It would be lighter weight, water proof, and shock proof, which is something only offered in much heavier detectors. Add in that it could be wireless compatible for those that want it. The touch screen would appeal to the newer generation of people, whom are already familiar with how the touch screen devices work. It would have all the menu items laid out right on the screen with easy to maneuver controls. You could choose between a more complex menu of settings or a simplified menu where you have the basic control settings on

Ummm...Thats the Deus Daniel.
January 22, 2015 03:04AM
The Deus is the DNA/chassis for it. But I was thinking much more power under the hood. The Deus is a good starting point though. I'm thinking more of next generation Deus. But with better depth and ability to handle more sites and situations you'll run into in the field. All within one detector. The Deus is a good example though...people were very hesitant when it first came out about durability and it was just so radically different than what we were used to seeing that people were afraid of it. I happened to like it. As do a bunch of other people. I just see the current Deus platform as still being a site specific niche machine for iron, despite having several programs within it. In theory...several detectors in one. But really only excels in the iron. If I had a open field with not a lot of iron and I knew things were deeper, the Deus wouldn't be the machine I reach for. I would like to see somebody come out with a similar machine in which the program adjustments make a radical and drastic change...literally different detectors in one. Almost in how the Whites V3i is with being able to select one of three frequencies...or run all 3 at the same time. I personally would rather see the single frequency option but have several to choose from. It could handle everything from deep silver to micro gold jewelry. So yes...similar to a Deus but more power and options.

We're only limited by the size box we limit our thinking to be inside of. Maybe Garrett had the ideas for such a coil but was limited by technology in the 1960s. Here we are in 2015 now...maybe some of those ideas need revisited and brought to life with new tech toys.
January 22, 2015 03:19AM
Im surprised there isnt a totally new coil design..
January 22, 2015 10:18AM
and then choosable multi frequencies have to come next ??
windows 10 has speech commands so that must be on the menu in the future.if it pans out ok
January 22, 2015 03:21PM
As a coin hunter I would love an inline pin pointer like sunray makes for several different brand detectors. The inline PP uses the detectors discrimination which helps to hear and distinguish the coin from the trash in trashy places where there is lots of junk targets in every plug.
January 22, 2015 03:41PM
Maybe a multifrequency machine with selectable primary frequency.

John