Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

GPS Parcel Land Owner ID APP?

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
GPS Parcel Land Owner ID APP?
January 21, 2015 09:14PM
Sorry I tried to search, and came up empty no matter how I searched.

Someone postedabout a GPS Parcel Land Owner app they found that they really liked that made it easy to determine who a land owner was, or if it was public land, or whatnot, but I can't find the post (and am not 100% positive which forum it was on).

Anyone know of the name of this app? Sure would be a great resource to determine if permission is needed or not and who to ask if so to detect on researched areas of interest :thumber:

TIA,
Brian
Re: GPS Parcel Land Owner ID APP?
January 21, 2015 09:57PM
If it was a couple days ago, I saw it too but not sure where... wanted to read more about peeps that use it. Anyway, it's onXmaps and website is www.huntinggpsmaps.com
January 21, 2015 10:02PM
Uncle Nudge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it was a couple days ago, I saw it too but not
> sure where... wanted to read more about peeps that
> use it. Anyway, it's onXmaps and website is
> www.huntinggpsmaps.com

Thanks, I finally found it, it was a post by deathray.

It looks like something I need! Now the question is to get it for the iPhone 6+ or is it worth getting a handheld GPS like a Garmin?
January 21, 2015 10:03PM
The app is onX HUNT
get it at Play Store
January 21, 2015 11:56PM
In my opinion...getting it to use on an external GPS is the way to go. I have it on a cheap(er) Garmen Legend. Small screen, no bells and whistles. Just tells me exactly where I'm at. If you buy the map for the GPS, you should have the option to download onto your computer so you have the big screen for research and entering waypoints and routes which can then be transferred to your GPS. A few years ago I figured out how to download (by county) all of the mining claims ever recorded (gps coordinates) Then I was able to convert that data to a Garmin file and transfer it to my handhelp GPS with the Hunting maps on it. I can just pick one and drive right to it :-) Tells me if it's on private or public land etc. The only thing that has to be verified is whether it is still a valid claim.

Excellent maps. If you play around with it on the computer you can also do google earth overlays. Way cool.

If you go the phone route make sure it will still works if you have no cell service. Some phone GPS apps only work when you have cell service which in my opinion is completely useless.

I recently tried Trimble maps for Android. Nowhere near as good as the huntinggpsmaps. They said it would work with no cell service but when I tried it the performance was so slow I could get out a map and compass to plot a course faster. Also no landowner names on the Trimble. Was very hard to tell the difference between publc/private. Trimble may be up and coming but in my opinion it's not there yet. Not even close.

Good luck,

Kenny
January 22, 2015 02:09AM
Yeah Brian,I posted it and it kicks a$$.I use a garmen 62. Got it from amazon for about $200I believe,caught it on sale. You will be amazed dude,how much public land around us,that we assumed was private.Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 02:12AM by deathray.