Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Japan anyone.......a neat post from another forum

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Japan anyone.......a neat post from another forum
January 26, 2015 07:42PM
Let me start by saying that I am stationed in Mainland Japan and the mineralization, consisting largely of volcanic black soil/sand, is absolutely horrible....and that's saying something since I recently left Virginia where I thought the red clay there was challenging. As a matter for context, I also have a Minelab CTX 3030 and a Garrett ATX. The CTX here - in most places - is essentially rendered ineffective. The highest sensitivity level I can run without significant chatter is about 10 and max detection depth is 3-4 inches at best; regardless of coil size. The ATX cuts through the mineralized ground better - 6 to 8 inches - but it is a heavy beast to swing for long and being a PI detector I find myself digging a TON of trash. Both of these factors contributed to my most recent purchase - ordered and received an XP Deus V3.2 about three months ago. That said, yesterday was the first time I decided to take it for a spin. Spent a fair amount of time reading the forum, reading Andy's book, watching YouTube videos and playing with the control unit. None of this is normal for me. In the 20 years I have been detecting, this is the first detector that I didn't have in the yard or out on the beach within 24 hours of arrival. Bottom line, I wasn't too motivated to get out there given the extremely challenging soil conditions and my recent history of less than successful hunts here in Japan with other top of the line units.

Seeing the Deus sitting in its carrying case in the closet week after week was finally too much. Yesterday I took it to a park on base...not an old park by any means...late 70's era...but a place where I previously tried hunting with the CTX and the AXT. Turned it on to the BASIC 2 setting, adjusted the sensitivity up to 85 and the reactivity up to 3 and gave it a shot. Played with a number of the other factory settings as well with a few test coins that I brought with me, but BASIC 2 setting with my minor adjustments appeared stable, ran silent and hit fairly hard. Didn't walk 5 feet and "bang," first solid double tone, one low and one high about four inches apart. Dug both, ended up with a US nickel and a US dime found at maybe 4 inches deep. I was amazed....like I said, I had been all over this area before with other detectors; trying to ID a good target among the constant ground chatter.

Long story short, the Deus was AWESOME! Easy to understand, easy to change between programs, easy to swing, just plain enjoyable! I credit a lot of the success to its stability and the speed of recovery, which was fast....fast....fast; as compared to other detectors I have. It made me excited to get out again. Spent about another 1.5 hours there and pulled a total of $9.17 out of the ground in both yen and US coins - 27 in all. The deepest coin find was actually a pocket spill of four 10 Yen pieces that were recovered at about 6 inches - nothing deeper than that so far. Also found a few tokens, an old mood ring with a broken finger loop and an old Cub Scout Wolf Neckerchief. Target ID was usually spot on. Found my share of trash too, but comparatively the trash to coin ratio wasn't bad; as I was also digging some iffy targets just to see what they were.

Next big test for the Deus will be a trip to a beach that's about a 1 hour train ride from my base. That public beach literally has 10's of thousands of patrons everyday during the summer and I have never seen another detectorist anywhere in this country. In fact, when the Japanese saw me with my CTX on that same beach last summer, a number of them thought I was collecting scientific data from the Fukishima nuclear meltdown in 2012. Needless to say, the CTX did not have a chance on that beach....way too noisy....way to much metal trash just below the surface and no depth to talk about. Same for the ATX...too much trash for a 13" PI coil and I don't have a 6" ATX coil. I think the Deus, with the 9" coil and a reactivity level of 3ish should do the job, particularly using the wet beach basic settings. I can't get out to detect as often as I would like, but when/if I do, I'll be sure to provide updates on the Deus' performance in the highly mineralized soils of Japan! :detecting:
Re: Japan anyone.......a neat post from another forum
January 26, 2015 09:36PM
That beach is probably loaded with gold, and Japanese like the good stuff - 22K-24K, none of the watered down 14K !!
January 27, 2015 01:12AM
Just think you got the whole Island to yourself. Sweet
January 27, 2015 01:17AM
And they have had some big typhoons as of late, so everything is mixed up real good. No telling how much silver and gold jewelry to be had=junk too I suppose. One thing, a vacationing detectorist needs to take the right tool for the job. I'm not familiar with water machines outside of CTX. Is there a dedicated water machine to detect in the bad ground/sand and get some reasonable depth???
January 27, 2015 01:49AM
What forum did he post on--very interesting--would like to keep up.
January 27, 2015 01:56AM
Doc, FM under Deus section forum name Shayne
January 27, 2015 03:12AM
That beach is probably loaded with gold, and Japanese like the good stuff - 22K-24K, none of the watered down 14K !!
Reply Quote Report

Yeah ...that beach is probably also loaded w gorgeous Japanese women too! : )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 03:17AM by Aaron.
January 27, 2015 03:18AM
Now Aaron, this is a metal detecting forum, shame on you!!!lol One might have to wear blinders so as not to be distracted just to hear the tones. And to add it aint pofolks who generally travel to Japan and lounge on the beaches. It's expensive!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 03:22AM by tnsharpshooter.
January 27, 2015 03:23AM
Aaron, heres to good finds and good looks...Kampai!
January 27, 2015 03:47AM
Thanks for sharing this post Sharpshooter. I find it interesting that a fellow with 20 years of detecting experience and a CTX makes the following statement about the Deus VDI:   "Target ID was usually spot on." 

HH,
Duke
January 27, 2015 03:50AM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That beach is probably loaded with gold, and
> Japanese like the good stuff - 22K-24K, none of
> the watered down 14K !!
> Reply Quote Report
>
>
>
>
> Yeah ...that beach is probably also loaded w
> gorgeous Japanese women too! : )

I was going to mention that too, but that would be pointing out the obvious smiling smiley