Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone ever used a Compass Gold Scanner Pro ??

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone ever used a Compass Gold Scanner Pro ??
January 26, 2015 10:10PM
If so, what can you tell me about it? Pros/Cons????
Re: Anyone ever used a Compass Gold Scanner Pro ??
January 26, 2015 10:26PM
Yes I love the Compass gold scanner pro for alot of reasons...

great unmasker if you can find the small coil...hot on low conductors...very acurate I.D. even in trash and iron...

will hear the smallest of targets like a CoRe does in alot of ways...

worked well in bad soil..I believe it was using the vari filter??? maybe?? or 3 filter....cant remember without checking...

good depth ...

the bad ,,,Heavy....great pistol grip but the housing location and 3 9 volts will kill your wrist after awhile..you can hipmount..but then the problems of hipmounting component failure comes to mind..

there getting old and harder to get parts...

You want a Pre fire one...Red label....the post fire ones were more prone to problems...even the coils....

the older ones can be souped up even hotter internally...

Wish I still had mine for nostalgia but theres better options today...I would not spend alot on even nice one now...maybe 275.00-325.00 tops with 8 inch coil in good condition...

I sold mine a few years ago when the prices for them went high...they have settled back down now I believe...

To get a leg up and still use a compass Today against soem others maybe a Au 2000 or Au52 would be the best bet in my opinion for unmasking work...

Keith
January 26, 2015 10:34PM
Go to the Compass detector forum. You will learn more than you ever wanted to know there.

Tom in SC
January 26, 2015 11:14PM
Thanks Keith, I saw one of them at a flea market a little while ago. The user had passed away unfortunately, his widow didn't know much about it, and neither did I. It was heavy though IMO.
January 26, 2015 11:31PM
Pre fire ones where heavy but one of the best for that era....understand the newer ones after the fire did no hold up well as not the same solid unit....
January 27, 2015 03:58AM
The Compass Gold Scanner came out in 1987,weights 3lbs 12ozs.with 3 9v batteries.Gold Scanner Pro maybe came out same year.Difference was the meter with the Pro.Meter is spot on,all Compass Scanners that had meters were right on.Both Gold Scanners has manual ground balance,the other scanners didnot.Most Compass detectors are good in iron,the older Compass TR detectors were pretty good in iron,no depth though.Theres an old youtube video on the Compass 77B .I have both Gold Scanners,they both work good,Gold Scanner is a bit deeper than the GS Pro.Like useing my analog detectors .Used the Compass XP Pro from 1988- 2003 as my main detector.They didn't make too many AU52s and the AU2000s,chances of finding a good working one could be a chore,I never seen a AU2000 for sale and only 2 AU52s and neither worked,there must be working ones but good luck finding one.So they have the technology of 27 years ago,can't really compare it with todays units,but they still work,interesting see if the digitals can work as long as the anologs.
January 27, 2015 04:06AM
Super accurate target id. A friend of mine has one, he let me use it a couple years ago. It ran really smooth, great meter too, but I don't recall the build quality being that great. Of course you find one cheap, not bad to have but like Keith said lots other better choices for the money you'd pay for that.

Aaron
January 27, 2015 04:13AM
I think maybe paul has a 2000? cant remember...had a buddy who had a 52 worked well in iron..not very deep but did well...but that was along time ago..

Good write up....

never did care for the 77bs....seemed ot only work well at unmasking if the iron was on the surface and it was jsut nails...hard to find areas like that in the South...might work great in a desert ghost town though..

Keith
January 27, 2015 04:19AM
I had a Coinscanner pro 2 for a year, depth was not good at all, did like the meter and red meter light though, it did find me a U.S 2 cent coin in the wet sand on my local beach.
January 27, 2015 04:38AM
Go on YouTube and search "John37115 Dragoon Star" and you'll see a guy finding a civil war relic valued at $18,000 with that machine. I was there when it happened!!
January 27, 2015 04:45PM
GoldScanner pro is a great detector, If you can find a decent one and without paying an arm and leg.

Found my first gold coin with one, Was my main relic machine for a while but they are unbalanced will wear out your arm before the days over. They do have issues, One reason or another eventually the test of time get's the best of them. Usually, Issues are minor and the two boards need to be cleaned with circuit board cleaner were the rack of pins connect both boards. Compress both boards with in and out as your spraying circuit board cleaner on the pins, Over the test of time these pins get dirty or get a weak connection.

Also, Same issue is when sliding in the circuit boards to the housing then tightening up the circuit board from the outside two screws then for some reason the unit will not turn on? This occurs because the tightening of the boards to the rear housing compresses both inside boards together which slides the pins inward to be touching a dirty area on the pin, This is the reason one needs to spray circuit board cleaner on the pins connection both boards then compress both boards carefully inward and outward so the pins get cleaned. Hope this make sense, Most issues come from this area due to a dirty pin.

Here is a quick pic, One stock GoldSanner Pro and a modified one. The Au 52 has issues, Bad coil but does work as long as sens is kept down. The modified Au 2000 works great, and like the Modified GoldScanner Pro a joy to use so well balanced. Wit the Au 2000, As long as mineralization isn't too hot it's a great machine extremely hot on the tiniest of finds. The odds of finding a good Au 52 and Au 2000 are slim, Unless one is a collector stay away from both Au models,

HH, Paul (Ca)

January 27, 2015 05:23PM
Some great info gents, I really appreciate it. Sounds like this post may have brought back a few good memories as well.