Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

YOU ASKED FOR IT

Posted by Raymond 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
YOU ASKED FOR IT
May 02, 2010 01:39PM
Tom,

You want me to make a meaningful post once in a while. Here it is.You know how Ford has a Explorer 'Eddie Bauer' edition. F-150 'Harley Davidson' edition. Dodge has a 'Carl Shelby' edition. Clothing and many things in life have signature editions. I could list many examples. Here is my point. Tom, you live 'in the dirt'. You live 'in the real world'. I am CERTAIN you have some very reasonable and achievable concepts. Is it possible for you to have a Fisher 'Dankowski Series'? You seem biased towards Fisher and Minelab, but it could be any respectable manufacturer. 'Branding' is very important to manufacturers. Here is a perfect opportunity. It's overdue Tom. It would be a 'first' for a manufacturer to have a complete package signature detector with a real-world 'in the dirt' instruction video. I am very serious about this. What say you?

With deepest meaning,

Raymond
Re: YOU ASKED FOR IT
May 02, 2010 02:52PM
:>) Thumbs up!
May 02, 2010 06:05PM
I think Tom is better off staying solo. He can say what he wants if something new comes out from another company he is free to try it, buy it, or trash it. Fisher listens to Tom's input anyway but gives him the freedom to not be a brand guy. So my vote is we leave Tom where he is. I would want the same freedom Tom has, to do what he wants and say what he wants. There are alot of difference in where Tom hunts and where I hunt the ground the masking and so you have to use Tom's knowledge and adapt it to your area. I have been using the small DD in areas that are not as trashy or as full of iron and pulling targets I missed with the 11DD. The reason is the larger coil is reading so much more that it is easy to miss a target that is mixed in with other targets that may be masking it. In my ground at some of the places I hunt even when I tame the LTD it is still chatty.

And that is when the other targets may be not heard with all the info the coil is reading. The cons to the little coil is you have to be a marksman with that small coil. You have to really control the swing and slow down a bit. And yes you are covering a lot less ground. There is a huge skill in using the small coil. I never get a place to hunt where the targets are so far apart that it is easy to hunt. So I am finding the small coil takes alot more energy and time but it can really give me more info then the larger coil. I think we all have our ways but the bottom line is if it works for you and you are finding history then go for it and have fun. I would like to see a coil that is a 8 inch DD with the small 5 inch...Maybe Fisher will have somemore coils on there next machine. I also use the Uniprobe and would like to see Fisher come out with a high end probe. I was hunting one area and left the probe at home...big mistake and had to do the wave the dirt over the coil trick and for me that took so much longer. Again to each his own some guys hunt with no probe and can pull out targets faster then me with my probe. Find your skill level and hone it and sharpen it there is no one way to hunt.

Tom offers us a lot of insight and he can teach us info that may take us years to learn the hard way trial and error. So this is a great forum to learn go out in the real world and try what you read and see if it works and if not come back and pick Tom's mind to see if there is something we all missed.

So my vote is let Tom be Tom.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 03, 2010 04:20AM
Forget it.
I'm sure he appreciates the comments, but Tom is no glory hound. If you think he's looking for credit or prestige...you dont know him that well.
He doesnt even care if he is given credit for the 3D...and he designed it!
Happy Hunting! Aaron
May 03, 2010 07:52AM
He has perfect credit from me for the CZ 3D
Ive owned it since new and never realy got to grips with it.......was packed away for a few years until recently......then i found Toms site and DVD..........now in the last 2 weeks i have made some cracking finds on some new farmland with my 3D including a Queen Mary Groat 1554 and a James 1st half groat 1603...........
From me an average guy from the UK...many thanks for your time and effort designing and testing the machine and for your passion and dedication on this site....

Top man....
May 03, 2010 08:54AM
Raymond,

I take your concern/interest in high regard,,, and I thank you for your input.

First, Fisher Research Laboratory (Los Banos, CA) did indeed perform (nearly) exactly such; with the advent of the CZ-70 Pro; then to be followed by the CZ-3D. Not to sidetrack, but yet pertinent to subject matter at hand; the CZ-70 hit intended numbers/life-cycle/expectations IRT product sales volume. The CZ-3D exceeded projected sales and revenue expectations. Before either of these two products; there were justifiable internal FRL politics pertaining to whether there should be the precedence/initiation of ‘external’ engineering input. At the time……FRL had internal hemorrhaging ; both in management and in financial control……..at a corporate level. COHU (the parent company of FRL) was of little help. Both the CZ-70 and CZ-3D certainly helped boost the company; yet, management style still had other issues.

* Second, First Texas Products (FTP) with Tom Walsh at the helm as CEO……..is a successful product and money making machine (company)…..per design……as should be. A totally different ship…..of which, is not sinking. In the black…..not the red. To get to your point Raymond; it is my ‘assumption’ that FTP has no interest in my concepts/ideas/functioning prototypes so as to recruit external engineering consulting…..a fine line (precedence) that has never been crossed by FTP. Although, it is safe to say; Dave Johnson has ….. with concerted effort…. gently ‘nudged’ FTP into the very ‘high-end’ detector market; an area that FTP has never traveled……….a new world of the ‘unknown’. And now…….is exceptionally successful. ,,,,,, FTP has never approached me in regards to this matter. And likewise; I have never approached them with my true, in-depth concepts. Yes, a roadblock based on ‘assumption’; subsequently restricting technological advancement.

Third, I suppose it’s not too ‘taboo’ to say; yes, I have intellectual property (do’able concepts) up my proverbial sleeve. Currently, some of which, I am using on a regular basis. True; may not necessarily need to be Fisher/FTP based.

Yes, ‘Branding’ is a very profitable and viable accolade. Time proven. Raymond; I will take your input seriously and truly appreciate your concerted effort in your thoughtful post.

Tom
May 03, 2010 05:08PM
Maybe we can start with hats and T Shirts :>)
May 04, 2010 02:24AM
This is interesting Third, I suppose it’s not too ‘taboo’ to say; yes, I have intellectual property (do’able concepts) up my proverbial sleeve. Currently, some of which, I am using on a regular basis....

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

May 04, 2010 10:05PM
Raymond,

Many times, folks have ‘touched’ on these topics; yet, your well articulated words of eloquence have ‘triggered’ a new spark…….inspiring food-for-thought. Once again, your post is very meaningful, appreciated, a ‘push’……. and inspirational. …. Keep’um coming!
May 05, 2010 06:47AM
I am not sure if i have got the correct jist of this thread....
But....
If a machine ever came out with Toms name on it then i would definately be first in the Q to order one....

Ahem, form an orderly line behind me please.....
May 05, 2010 10:43AM
Right behind you, Blackadder.
May 05, 2010 11:22AM
"your well articulated words of eloquence have ‘triggered’ a new spark"

Don't know about the rest of you but I'm intrigued when Tom says he has a "new" spark!
May 05, 2010 03:22PM
A new spark you just never know what goes on in the design rooms of Fisher...maybe Tom will have a hand in a new flagship detector. But as long as he has this forum and is always looking for the next new unit that works we can't lose.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]