Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Finally, my thoughts on the Fors CoRe

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Finally, my thoughts on the Fors CoRe
February 05, 2015 05:42PM
This will not win me any friends, and that does trouble me. But not being straightforward troubles me as well. I have used my Fors Core on all of my sites. It DID find me a Union Infantry button. I found the unit to be quite chattery....due to EMI AND due to ground mineralisation. After ground balancing, and switching to DI-2, and turning sensitivity to 99 I would hold the 11 inch coil in the air. I would lower the sensitivity until EMI was no longer hearable. And then I would start sweeping (with the 11 inch coil in untrashy ground). The unit would be chattery as I swept the ground. I dug several strong signals that would turn out to be a 22 cal bullet. Very sensitive unit in DI-2. I tried DI-3 and found it to be VERY quiet, but at the expense of depth.
I took the small 5 inch coil (I know that the measurements are not exactly 5 inches but for the sake of this mini-review I'll call it the 5 inch coil) to all of the nail-ridden sites that I have pounded with the Deus, G2, F-75 with 5 inch coil (old version), the GMP, etc etc etc. I found nothing else.
To be fair, I found the Fors Core to be a good general all arounder with the 11 inch coil, and it seems to have potential with the 5 inch coil. I didn't try the LARGE coil.
It was the ergonomics that ticked me off. I would be in the woods and I would want to adjust sensitivity and I would flip the unit sideways to make adjustments and it was an aggravation because the coil kept sliding on the leaves and I would have to chase the unit around while trying to hurry and make adjustments. I finally settled on putting the coil against the base of a tree to keep the unit from sliding away from me. I didn't like that.
Maybe the Macro Racer will have the same "engine" that the Fors Core has. If it does, and considering the improved ergonomics, I want one (a Racer).
I am not good at this review stuff. (as you can plainly tell from this attempt). But I DID promise that I would post some thoughts on the unit. I have typed this out fast because I have alot of wok to do today and I need to step away from this compute for a while. For all of you guys who are enjoying your Fors CoRe.....hope we're still friends. But for now, and for the last few months.......I am a Teknetics G2/ Fisher F19 fan.
Re: Finally, my thoughts on the Fors CoRe
February 05, 2015 06:24PM
Nice write up Kevin, no love lost between us!

Honesty is always the best policy and considering that we all know your going to be selling that machine says a lot a out your character.

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 06:27PM by Aaron.
February 05, 2015 06:38PM
I dont know how it was slipping on the leaves all i do when i want to adjust something on my Core is just twist my wrist up and press the buttons with my left hand easy peasy i find the Core the best balanced easy to swing detector i have ever used the only thing wrong is the supplied strap which is far too short (this may have been rectified now)
February 05, 2015 06:47PM
Kevin, I'm trying to understand your problem with adjusting sensitivity. All I do is roll unit over and adjust. Granted its a 2 handed operation vs what appears to be a one handed ops with Racer. As far your machine being chatty. I will say this. The highest I can ever see a person running sens in DI2 is 97, probably closer to 94 plus or minus 3. Now, I have been in the field sweeping and notice the machine starts getting a little chatty, for me just reground balancing does the trick. Did you try your unit in ground tracking??
One must remember finds must exist to be found. I say this because hunting behind a Deus, GMP, F75, I wouldn't expect to find much using any detector. I haven't found that much either hunting behind CTX, White's V3i, Deus 9/11" coils and F75se, but enough to realize on the 5 sites I'd pounded with the said detectors, the CoRe unit even with stock coil is seeing things the others can't or either they can see but audio is not alerting (can't report) me to their existence. And this could be attributed to ground minerals, EMI, modern trash/nail masking,audio quality, etc.
The machine is a "work horse" to borrow Keith's description. For all out open field/woods hunting there may be better units, but in those places where sites are heavily polluted, iron is extremely heavy, or ground is very mineralized; the FORS CoRe unit deserves attention/respect.
February 05, 2015 06:54PM
Just keep using it and let the others become boat paddles and it will open your eyes soon.
February 05, 2015 07:15PM
My two cents: I owned a CoRe for about a month...I found it to be VERY similar to a T2 or F75 ie: chattery (in DI2)...I tried it on, in the ground real targets (not planted), side by side with my G2, and found only a slight depth increase over my G2 with Ultimate coil. But, with more noise. The biggest issues to me were: 1) the angle of the handgrip caused me alot of wrist pain, so much so, that after a 6 hour hunt of "dealing with it" I had severe tendonitis the next day that prevented me from hunting with my right (dominant) arm. 2) While woods hunting the control box under the arm would hit trees/branches etc. and was quite annoying and 3) Like you Kevin, I found to do adjustments is a PITA! I may give the Racer a shot too, but I just bought an F19 to go along with my G2 and I continue to be a happy hunter. Bill
P.S. To be fair, I bought the standard package so I did not have a chance to use its (5" coil) in trashy areas, where it supposedly shines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 08:18PM by sekypaleo.
February 05, 2015 08:11PM
Nice writeup Kevin..

cant get in trouble when you tell what you feel is the truth..

Keith
February 05, 2015 09:04PM
I hated the two hands required for the settings too. Not that I changed them that often, but I thought that the design was not user friendly at all. Add in the plastic cover and the problem was twice as bad. I found that hunting behind the Deus produced a few targets, but nothing Earth shattering. During my minnie review I also mentioned that I thought that the depth was average. Over all I thought the Fors was a nice detector, but nothing about it really made me want to give up the Deus. I know that the Deus is more money and maybe I'm being unfair in the comparison, but I am not the first to compare the two. I think the Racer will offer much more because of the sleeker design alone. If it has the recovery speed and same depth I think the Fors will be discontinued. In fact if the Racer compares to Fors like I think it will I don't think Fors owners will be owners for long. Only time will tell. Personally I hate S shafts and prefer a handle like the Sovereign GT, but I'll hold judgement until I swing a Racer.
February 05, 2015 10:23PM
As a lefty.... I for one would not buy a Fors Core no matter how good it is.... because of the the ergonomics that alone would tick me off....hey guys stick one in your left hand and then tell me what you think...
Be like playing a guitar upside down...they missed the boat on that one.
But I guess when you really think about it... there's more of you rightie's then lefty's ...also noticed the controls on the new racer are backwards for a lefty as well...
Oh well....nice to know there are many other brands to chose from...

Cheers, from a lefty smiling smiley
February 05, 2015 11:05PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Whether you agree with me or not. That is what makes this a great forum. But right now, I am steamed about another situation. I just got ASKED TO LEAVE AND NOT COME BACK to a public lot (just some trees and a yard) that the city is going to turn into a parking lot. The City Manager drove by and when he got to his office, he had one of his henchmen to come out and ask me to no longer detect there. There are NO underground lines. No nothing. Just an empty lot where an OLD house had been. I had permission from three different sources......one was a Police sargeant. They just said: have fun! But the City manager sends someone out there to tell me NO MORE DETECTING. He had much rather see any relics hurry up and get covered by asphault before anyone can get them. Public land!!! A future parking lot for the City Park!!!! I asked the guy to see if he could find one of my holes. He couldn't. At least the messenger was nice about it (he was a city commisioner.......elected) whereas the City Manager is appointed. None of this makes a lick of sense. On top of all of that.......I just hijacked my own thread!!! Now I'm mad at me! .....lol
February 05, 2015 11:46PM
They also make a version for left handers
February 06, 2015 12:01AM
Kevin B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the replies guys. Whether you agree
> with me or not. That is what makes this a great
> forum. But right now, I am steamed about another
> situation. I just got ASKED TO LEAVE AND NOT COME
> BACK to a public lot (just some trees and a yard)
> that the city is going to turn into a parking lot.
> The City Manager drove by and when he got to his
> office, he had one of his henchmen to come out and
> ask me to no longer detect there. There are NO
> underground lines. No nothing. Just an empty lot
> where an OLD house had been. I had permission from
> three different sources......one was a Police
> sargeant. They just said: have fun! But the City
> manager sends someone out there to tell me NO MORE
> DETECTING. He had much rather see any relics
> hurry up and get covered by asphault before anyone
> can get them. Public land!!! A future parking lot
> for the City Park!!!! I asked the guy to see if
> he could find one of my holes. He couldn't. At
> least the messenger was nice about it (he was a
> city commisioner.......elected) whereas the City
> Manager is appointed. None of this makes a lick of
> sense. On top of all of that.......I just hijacked
> my own thread!!! Now I'm mad at me! .....lol

Some people just have to be jerks to be happy.
February 06, 2015 12:03AM
I don't see the "right hand" version that bad for lefties. I'd rather buy a righty if I was a lefty. Easier to sell if one wants. And to add, I think folks really don't understand. You really won't make many adjustments. Mostly just verify (reground) balance at times. And the procedure involved with that is unaffected for a lefty using a righty machine.
February 06, 2015 01:16AM
sanjuro Wrote:
> They also make a version for left handers

Good to know....I rest my casesmiling smiley
February 06, 2015 01:56AM
Hi,,,,WoW this is the first time I have heard of someone that was not totally satisfied in it's performance & ergonomics....JJ
February 06, 2015 02:26AM
jimmyjiver Wrote:
> Hi,,,,WoW this is the first time I have heard of
> someone that was not totally satisfied in it's
> performance & ergonomics....JJ

Actually there are at least two others that post here that have not seen all the glory that some do.
Makes the world go around. Different strokes for different folks.

Really I think some are to quick to jump on the band wagon and by doing so they are a little blinded.
Not saying that the CoRe is not a good machine but if you really look at it is there any thing that makes it so special?

PacMan
February 06, 2015 02:39AM
Hi,,,,I have never ran one but it does seem to have all the right qualifications of being a killer machine.....I don't tweak a machine much, especially once I know where I can get the maximum performance out of one...It then becomes easy and quick.....JJ
February 06, 2015 02:55AM
Good write up Kevin. Dont worry, this aint f.m., we are allowed free speach here! As far as the city manager,personally I would not let that stop me. Tell that dude you pay his salary. A better idea, cash in your clad, buy some ghetto hooker and send her to him,catch him in a compromising position and blackmail him,lol.
February 06, 2015 03:55AM
I'm wondering if the chatty you're talking about is the stuff in the ground your other machines are not seeing when you detect. It's a very sensitive machine, really sensitive.
February 06, 2015 03:56AM
deathray Wrote:
> Good write up Kevin. Dont worry, this aint f.m.,
> we are allowed free speach here! As far as the
> city manager,personally I would not let that stop
> me. Tell that dude you pay his salary. A better
> idea, cash in your clad, buy some ghetto hooker
> and send her to him,catch him in a compromising
> position and blackmail him,lol.

Ya know, that ain't such a bad idea....especially the way I'm feeling right now. That man has not legally got the right to eject me from that property or to metal detect it. I HOPE that he runs for office of some kind here in town. I'll turn into a private Detective and dig up some dirt on that rascal. I mean, I thought that I was perfectly clear and in the right. In fact, I take great pains to make sure that I am NOT hwere I am NOT supposed to be. So, I take it as a personal insult.
Another detectorist here in town, has permission to hunt it too. He got permission from the City Manager;s assistant. I'll be anxious to see what transpires.
February 06, 2015 04:32PM
If you are hunting or hunted with a machine that is not on par with the machine you are reviewing then it is not always a perfect match and may never be. I have had the deus for about four months and hunting in the gold country is nothing like hunting in and around swamps in South Carolina. So once I was there I had to adapt my programs and my hunting style. Most of the guys that were at the hunt are hard core relic hunters. More civil war hunters but anything in the ground is fair game. The first day was like my first day at school or on a new job I didn't really have a clue why I was having such a hard time. But I came up with a progam that was sooo deep hit a mini ball at over 12 inches and a lot has to do with the TX power and when to lower you sens to about 85..reactivity is vital and so is your silencer. Once I started to uset this program I created man was I starting to understand my machine in way different ground and iron was becoming my best friend. So not all machines are for everyone and maybe this machine you had is just not your cup of tea..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 06, 2015 05:12PM
goodmore Wrote:
> I hated the two hands required for the settings
> too. Not that I changed them that often, but I
> thought that the design was not user friendly at
> all. Add in the plastic cover and the problem was
> twice as bad. I found that hunting behind the Deus
> produced a few targets, but nothing Earth
> shattering. During my minnie review I also
> mentioned that I thought that the depth was
> average. Over all I thought the Fors was a nice
> detector, but nothing about it really made me want
> to give up the Deus. I know that the Deus is more
> money and maybe I'm being unfair in the
> comparison, but I am not the first to compare the
> two. I think the Racer will offer much more
> because of the sleeker design alone. If it has the
> recovery speed and same depth I think the Fors
> will be discontinued. In fact if the Racer
> compares to Fors like I think it will I don't
> think Fors owners will be owners for long. Only
> time will tell. Personally I hate S shafts and
> prefer a handle like the Sovereign GT, but I'll
> hold judgement until I swing a Racer.

with recent price cuts on the deus you can buy a deus lite with 11 inch coil and WS5 phones for less than the predicted racer cost at 629 pounds ,and the phones on the deus are the best you are likely to see for a while ,and no dongle to fool around with