Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detector showdown results - relic hunting

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Detector showdown results - relic hunting
March 07, 2015 09:49PM
Ok Daniel...Thanks

I also find the Conducitve is the depeest mode..not the ferrous or combined...but conductive...use 50 tone and listen for slight changes in the threshold nails will read high but a bullet will be a little higher in tone...

you have to get the CTX to start hitting hot rocks before the depth shows up...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 08, 2015 02:26PM
Beautiful day outside. 60 degrees. Sun shine. No snow. No ice. No rain. Can't dig...work tonight. Uggh.

Hope everybody gets out this weekend that has the weather to do so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 03:34PM by Daniel Tn.
March 08, 2015 03:52PM
Yes Daniel that ctx is something different I well be using mine for the 4th year now I'm still amazed at some of the coins I have found with it .
To give you a example I have hunted a fairgrounds for the past 10 years I ran the 6000 series 3 the mxt some fisher and explore 2 all with big and small coils then I started hunting with the ctx there . In a area I have pounded hard with all these fine detectors 20 by 20 feet I find a 1883 Indian perfect 12.35 both ways what ? at 4 inches deep nothing by it a little while later same place 12.35 nothing by it 1892 Indian I'm just amazed at these . The last coin is what makes me keep this detector at a mere 3 inches deep I get a 12.37 thinking I have a zincet I was going to pass but I dug instead out comes a 1867 Indian what? .It seems to me that I should have found all these coins before but I didn't that's why I keep the ctx for some reason it finds coins other detectors don't that should have been found .
So since I have been hunting here with the ctx I have found over 100 silver dimes about 50 barber and the rest early mercs with about 6 rosies in there , also about 80 Indians and very few wheats 30 v nickels few buffs and some jeffersons , this place has been pounded.
Most of the coins were 4 to 6 inches deep with a every now and then some at 8 inches and a few at the 10 inch mark this is with a 6 inch coil running hot .
I know I didn't miss this many coins with the other detectors it's just that the ctx is very good in thrash .
I'm very good at using a detector this well be my 46 year and the coins are there just mixed with garbage shallower than most realize , as for deep coins very few .
Daniel I also have had the mxt for about 12 years or more what I found with the 5.3 eclipse coil is if you swing it slow and disc on 2 bottle caps will read foil to pull-tab but if you speed up your swing speed a little bit the machine is much more accurate at iding it as iron ever time nails to . The coil is very good at getting rid of iron .
I know you well get more coins that most machines won't see for some reason and some coins that a faster detector has nothing to do with finding the coin because there's nothing with it running the ctx just got to use it .sube
March 09, 2015 09:38AM
Nice report Daniel, and makes for some fun reading. Of course you and most of the experienced detectorists knew the pulse machine would come out on top in highly mineralized soil. That was a no brainer with all we know about pulse machines in this day and time. What was a surprise was how poorly the CTX performed. Although it is first and formost a beach machine, and quite a good one at that (most of the best beach hunters I know use one now from Va. To S.C.). I,myself, would own one having seen the results that these machines have produced on gold and ID capabilities at the saltwater beaches (meaning, never dig pennies again), but at present, I have too many irons in the fire so to speak, to buy one. However, this test, and a well run unbiased one at that, just drives home a proven fact. In one soil type with the right coil one particular machine will shine and in another soil it will fall flat on its face or at the very least disappoint the user. That does not mean it is a bad machine, just the wrong machine in that particular place. So there will always be debates as to which machines are the best because everyone likes to think that they have the best tool for the job at hand, even though the variables of which machine to use and coil selection and location variables are almost endless....Stuart
March 09, 2015 02:04PM
For kicks and giggles. Here is a video I just refound that I done back in 2011 when I first started hunting the home site I have been talking about running the CTX at. I had the AT Pro at the time, and the T2. I had forgotten all about this hunt and doing this video. This is the same area of the house I have been digging all the coins in here in the last few hunts with the CTX...actually if you listen to the AT Pro's audio, you can see how trashy it is.

I apologize up front for all the talking. I see that I am wearing my uniform pants from work...which means this was after a 12 hour shift...so I was a bit sleepy. And when I get sleepy I evidently ramble on and talk to myself. lol

[www.youtube.com]

I dug a bunch of wheat pennies out of this site, over a dozen silver dimes, two silver quarters, and all the clad junk too. But not the first nickel has came out of here. I have been digging every signal I get in the nickel range...and they are always pieces of foil and can slaw.
March 09, 2015 02:45PM
sube ..... now try a XP GMP in your 20' x 20' same area.
March 09, 2015 03:27PM
Yea want to run the deus or racer in there and see what I come up with need a fast detector .
One thing about this place these coins have been there a 100 years ,What I'm trying to find out is why I found these coins at 3 to 4 inches deep any detector you would have used would have found these coins no problem but they did not . These coins were not mask with iron or anything they were by themselves the ctx only gave a cursor in the 12.35 range and no iron in the bottom screen .
Almost all coins found at this site are mask with some type of trash .
As far as the ctx working this site it just works why I'm still trying to figure out why , most of this area well have 12 to 15 hits per sweep using the 6 inch coil.
I'm hoping the deus or racer can unlock more .sube
I
March 10, 2015 09:08PM
Thank you so much for this very informative post Daniel! Now, the million-dollar question comes when we can compare the two "newcomers" into this testing room about relics, which is my main interest. I can't wait to see how the racer and CoRe do in relation to the machines that we all know and love and Use on a daily weekly monthly yearly basis. To me, it's not even about having the "latest and greatest," but to have a machine that I know, that knows me, and that I can work well together with it.