Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detecting for Food

Posted by Bryannagirl 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detecting for Food
March 16, 2015 10:02AM
Ok if you were forced to Metal detect for food money (Box lady under the bridge with a metal detector). Which detector would you choose and where would you hunt. Last how much do you think you would have to eat on each day.

Ok this is make believe so do not get over analytical about details - this is focused on clad hunting and getting as much clad as possible - any silver or gold is just bonus you can save for a rainy day.

I think the key to not going hungry is more about where you hunt then what you hunt with - a topic that seems to take second fiddle to what we detect with.

So I am going to go with a Tesoro compadre and bus stops and busy sidewalks. I think $3.00 (I am guessing I will not get fat detecting for food).

Oh and if you have any tips for finding food money please share that as well, things like - would you discrimante above nickels to avoid a lot of trash, etc...

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
Re: Detecting for Food
March 16, 2015 10:38AM
The compadre is a great choice...I'll go silver umax, cause then I can use the clean sweep coil. (Compadres are still hard wired, right?). I can say from experience that that combination is a clad magnet...and just one little 9 volt battery that lasts forever...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2015 10:39AM by Seladore.
March 16, 2015 12:30PM
Good points do not want to spend your hard earned food money on batteries all the time.

Seladore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The compadre is a great choice...I'll go silver
> umax, cause then I can use the clean sweep coil.
> (Compadres are still hard wired, right?). I can
> say from experience that that combination is a
> clad magnet...and just one little 9 volt battery
> that lasts forever...

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
March 16, 2015 12:35PM
It's funny...you spend thousands of dollars on various detectors that are, without question, deeper/faster/better, but if you wanted to just make money, the base model tesoros are still the best deal in town! Every time somebody I know asks about a first detector, I always recommend either the compadre or the silver...and they buy an ace250 smiling smiley. Guess it's screen envy...
March 16, 2015 12:54PM
That reminds me of a recent story that made me chuckle.

A guy I work with started asking me questions about digging after he saw some of my finds on my Facebook page. He wanted to get a detector and was asking me that question that every one of us have had to answer for somebody "what would be a good one you would recommend me to get that wont cost me a bunch of money". And I done the same thing you all have said...one of two machines...the Tesoro Compadre or Silver Max. So he looked them up and talked about getting one of them. Then he was watching videos on YouTube about it...which led him to catching some episodes of Diggers on TV. So he asks me "what would you think of an AT Pro for a starter machine?". I looked at him and said...wow that's a big jump from not wanting to spend a lot, to going $600 for a first detector. Next thing I know, he has a package ordered and got the AT Pro, the little coil, the whole nine yards. LOL Went from not wanting to spend any more than $200 to a full blown addict.

His first time in his yard...he came back to work saying he couldn't ever pinpoint the targets. He said everything was moving on him. He'd dig a hole...then check it, and then it would move. So he'd dig another hole. Then he eventually just dug a trench. It took him a little while to realize it was his boots he was getting a signal on. But he has dug his first coin...a nickel. And he is ready to roll.

---------------

Back to the topic. I would have a real cheap detector. Then I would take said detector to the local pawn shop and sell it for $50. With that $50 I would go buy a crowbar and a ski mask. And then I would spend my jobless days and nights doing studies of neighborhoods. I'd make note of who worked what shift and when they were gone. Then break into houses. Sorta like Robin Hood...steal from the rich...and give to the poor, which in this case, would be me getting to keep the loot. OR better yet, just write a book on how to become successful with a metal detector lol
March 16, 2015 01:05PM
Instead of spending my time looking for change,Id be looking for a job,lol.
March 16, 2015 01:18PM
Fisher F2 is a great clad grabber for the money. A little over $100.00 will get a nice used one with 2 coils. My 9 year old grandson took to it like a duck to water and was pulling clad as fast as I could pop it out with my screw driver lol .
March 16, 2015 01:44PM
I once supported myself for over a year by detecting.
March 16, 2015 01:53PM
Don't over analyze - maybe I am a retired bag lady. winking smiley

deathray Wrote:
> Instead of spending my time looking for change,Id
> be looking for a job,lol.

Bryanna - Nebraska

March 16, 2015 01:57PM
Really - that is impressive. Is this you?

[youtu.be]

winking smiley

Detectorist Wrote:
> I once supported myself for over a year by
> detecting.

Bryanna - Nebraska

March 16, 2015 01:57PM
Problem is would have to have a doz. or so good areas for clad...If we hunted day and day out several places would soon be cleaned out. To answer your question I would buy a good unit for saltwater beaches as
an area such as atlantic city is replenished from the waves every day....Silver coins can be had worth much more than their denomination along with clad and a gold ring or necklace would be a plus. I would feel if you were serious all in all taking into consideration silver coins and a nice gold ring once a week might average 10 bucks a day. However it would become work and after a while you would be flippin burgrs in Mickey D's and eating better...
March 16, 2015 02:03PM
I have already been super sized by McDonalds. Maybe I could turn this into a retirement diet. I can only eat what I can earn - would keep me active and a little hungry most of the time. Perfect way to loose weight.

Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Problem is would have to have a doz. or so good
> areas for clad...If we hunted day and day out
> several places would soon be cleaned out. To
> answer your question I would buy a good unit for
> saltwater beaches as
> an area such as atlantic city is replenished from
> the waves every day....Silver coins can be had
> worth much more than their denomination along with
> clad and a gold ring or necklace would be a plus.
> I would feel if you were serious all in all taking
> into consideration silver coins and a nice gold
> ring once a week might average 10 bucks a day.
> However it would become work and after a while you
> would be flippin burgrs in Mickey D's and eating
> better...

Bryanna - Nebraska

March 16, 2015 02:12PM
I think the compadre would make an excellent choice! I would go to schools with a reduced lunch program. I once hunted a school playground and got like over 10 dollars in quarters in a very short time. That day I could of ate good and had enough to buy some beer.
March 16, 2015 02:21PM
I know a fella for a number of years now, he's had a Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro for years, since about the time they come out.
He is in his late 60's, handicapped and not able to get a job. He does some odd jobs when he can, does paid surveys, etc to make ends meet.
He also detects almost everyday, weather permitting. He lives in a highly populated city next to one of Canada's largest cities.
Does he find cash, yes he does. Approx $30-40 a day in a matter of a few hours, mostly $1 and $2 coins. Along with coin spills. He sets his disc. up some and only digs those signals that lock on
as those coins. Occasionally finds some silver jewelry, rarely digs junk or almost never finds gold rings or jewelry. He won't set his disc lower to accept those items. He has a hard time with his legs,
so he has to keep bending to a min.
He kicks butt with that old machine. He's a clad hunter in the extreme. He's amazing to watch and hunt with.
He'll have a handful of $1 and $2 coins while you have a pouchful of junk and a small handful of coins after a few hours.
He also hunts places that get replenished fast, he knows the spots to hit.
So yes you can make a small living detecting in the right circumstances if living in the right places.
And if you own a BH Big Bud Pro.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
March 16, 2015 02:52PM
Thanks that is a cool story. Good for him!

Sven1 Wrote:
> I know a fella for a number of years now, he's had
> a Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro for years, since about
> the time they come out.
> He is in his late 60's, handicapped and not able
> to get a job. He does some odd jobs when he can,
> does paid surveys, etc to make ends meet.
> He also detects almost everyday, weather
> permitting. He lives in a highly populated city
> next to one of Canada's largest cities.
> Does he find cash, yes he does. Approx $30-40 a
> day in a matter of a few hours, mostly $1 and $2
> coins. Along with coin spills. He sets his disc.
> up some and only digs those signals that lock on
> as those coins. Occasionally finds some silver
> jewelry, rarely digs junk or almost never finds
> gold rings or jewelry. He won't set his disc lower
> to accept those items. He has a hard time with his
> legs,
> so he has to keep bending to a min.
> He kicks butt with that old machine. He's a clad
> hunter in the extreme. He's amazing to watch and
> hunt with.
> He'll have a handful of $1 and $2 coins while you
> have a pouchful of junk and a small handful of
> coins after a few hours.
> He also hunts places that get replenished fast, he
> knows the spots to hit.
> So yes you can make a small living detecting in
> the right circumstances if living in the right
> places.
> And if you own a BH Big Bud Pro.

Bryanna - Nebraska

March 16, 2015 03:20PM
Your under the bridge lady would be spending what money she found on being able to power the detector then while she was sleeping another bridge person would steal her detector and so on...Like Ray said find a job...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 16, 2015 04:12PM
It's about finding clad and where to hunt and how to hunt. Not about being unemployed or any other social issue. Just made up a fun way to look at it. It's about detecting. smiling smiley

Bryanna - Nebraska

March 16, 2015 04:16PM
Bryannagirl,

Hmmm...good Q.
Reason is: I met people in Russia who do just that: they look for spendable coins to buy food.
They USE the cheapest machines as they simply don't have the Funds to buy expensive.
The 'Yeller Feller' is popular there PLUS they have their own 'brands' that we know nothing about...but they work!

Des D
March 16, 2015 05:07PM
So you can be a Clad Master. Look at that YouTube link I posted on this discussion. It is short a guy on the beach is filming and talking to a guy swinging a Tesoro Deleon. He is very focused and it is hard for the person filming to get his attention. He finally does and gets a few short responses. The man swinging the detector says something like he found over $2400 I think in two weeks. Looking at how focused he was I believe him.

Des D Wrote:
> Bryannagirl,
>
> Hmmm...good Q.
> Reason is: I met people in Russia who do just
> that: they look for spendable coins to buy food.
> They USE the cheapest machines as they simply
> don't have the Funds to buy expensive.
> The 'Yeller Feller' is popular there PLUS they
> have their own 'brands' that we know nothing
> about...but they work!
>
> Des D

Bryanna - Nebraska

March 16, 2015 07:40PM
Big bud pro an excellent machine and named detector of the year for 1988 literally ate batteries...so expect to eat less because of the units eating up a lot also...
March 16, 2015 07:58PM
A good clad hunter can make a good jewelry hunter based upon the site reading skills they develop.

My opinion of some good clad machines for the US:

Fisher F2 with the 11"DD coil.
Eurotek Pro with the 11" DD coil
Tesoro Golden MicroMax with the Cleansweep coil
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro with the 11" DD coil.
White's DFX with the Bigfoot coil

HH
Mike
March 16, 2015 10:15PM
You could supplement your income by tacking up biz cards advertising detecting services. That would be a boost to the bottom line.
March 16, 2015 10:17PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Big bud pro an excellent machine and named
> detector of the year for 1988 literally ate
> batteries...so expect to eat less because of the
> units eating up a lot also...

True, they eat batteries.
My buddy gets his 9 alkaline volt batteries free from those drop off centers that will dispose of used batteries.
Basically cost him nothing.
Then charges them up if they need to be. He has an endless supply...........

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
March 16, 2015 11:11PM
I would want a meter...depth not of importance...just flash money and lot's of it quick...

I would grab a Eurotek ...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 17, 2015 12:06AM
This is one of the things I love about the White's XL-PRO with the Tone I.D. Mod. as the 4th highest tone is quarter and up so if I want to cherry pick Quarters I just listen for the 4th highest tone and check the meter for a Quarter lock on. One time I got a Half lock on and got excited thinking it was a half, But it was 2 Quarter's on top of each other? I guess it can add also. LOL! I figure if I get a good set of rechargables then I could keep the battery cost down. I'm not a big clad hunter,But it is fun sometimes though. If you live in Canada like Sven it could really be profitable with 1 and 2 dollar coin's!
March 17, 2015 12:07AM
Mud Puppy over on Find Mall uses a F70 and he is truly a Clad King.He has several hunting techniques depending on the site he working plus the settings he uses may be contrary to what one would think,plus he's funny as h ell.
Anonymous User
March 17, 2015 01:22AM
Without knowing a lot about various detectors( looking for coins only) I would have to go with what someone here called the "Yeller Feller" (Ace 250). Cheap to run on 4 AA batteries and is a coin magnet. Of course as also has been mentioned 'Location" is the main thing. If you wanted to be unethical nothing would beat giving demonstrations to people by asking them for some coins to throw on the ground. They hand you the coins, you toss em out and turn your detector off and pretend you are looking for them. Wouldn't take long before they run out of patience and move on. You could then easily detect the area and pick them up. You'd have to be pretty hungry to go to those extremes but if you're gonna do it you might as well be taking advantage of the situation and be eating in the steak house.
March 17, 2015 01:52AM
If that doesn't work, you can go to a coinstar and walk up to whoever is cashing in coins and hit em in the back of the head with your metal detector.
March 17, 2015 01:55AM
I one year hunting in Marin County Calif a very rich area just across the San Fran bridge I found two thousand dollars in clad in the ground hunting a park. I took the money and used it to move up to the gold country

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Anonymous User
March 17, 2015 02:05AM
aguerrero56 Wrote:
> If that doesn't work, you can go to a coinstar and
> walk up to whoever is cashing in coins and hit em
> in the back of the head with your metal detector.

Well, they outlawed wacking people in the head with metal detectors some time ago here in Missouri. Probably a good thing as it just brought attention to the hobby.