Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How much would you pay?.....

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How much would you pay?.....
June 15, 2010 04:56PM
For a metaldetector that is basically very similar to a CZ-3D, F75 LTD, Explorer SE or even a V3, BUT had one important feature, the ability to tell the difference between gold and foil? Don't forget 97 percent of all gold rings fall into that range. I want to see this happen. It is getting harder and harder to find anywhere within 40-50 miles good to hunt anymore. For our good old hunting spots to really start producing again we need, besides good old patience and hard work..we need the technology to improve. Depth is very important however I feel that discrimination is even more important. There is a lot of gold out there guys and it is well within our reach. The problem is our machines think it is foil and none of us in our right mines have the time to dig all of it. I am very limited to my detecting time these days and I like making the most of what little time I have. All the big companys are monitoring this site, and this is the best and most intelligent site there is. All of us are better hunters for being here. Let's all get on our soap boxes let our voices be heard and let these companys know what we really need instead of all the unneccessary bells and whistles.
HH! Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2010 04:57PM by Aaron.
Re: How much would you pay?.....
June 15, 2010 05:53PM
Well put Aaron. Us old duffers can use all the help we can get!

Suncoast Wally
June 15, 2010 06:24PM
I would pay a lot. I would also pay a lot for a machine that could correctly disc out aluminum and would not false on iron and would disc out steel.... that would be the BOMB !! A machine that you could tweak to analize an alloy and tell you the makeup of the metal but I don't look for it. If it were cellphone technology, yeah... it would be coming. The thing is the limited number of people into metal detecting and the cost of developing such technology. Maybe some future Dave Johnson or Bruce Candy will come along and do a "labor of love"... and become very wealthy in the process. I certainly don't have the smarts... I can change a battery and I can interpret what my machines are telling me (usually) but if I had to design a new detector it would look a LOT like a shovel.

Maybe some other technology will benefit the detecting hobby... remember all the stuff that came from NASA... Teflon, Tang, other good stuff I am sure Tom could tell us.

J
June 15, 2010 06:56PM
I concur! Point well made on both past messages. Don't forget WD-40 I heard it was orginally developed for the Space Shuttle.
June 16, 2010 12:34AM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I concur! Point well made on both past messages.
> Don't forget WD-40 I heard it was orginally
> developed for the Space Shuttle.

What about duct tape? J/K...

I've always heard that if it don't move, use WD-40. If it's loose use duct tape. I figure between WD-40, duct tape, a utility knife, a hammer, and a shoe tongue... I can fix almost anything.

(My age is showing) They used to use shoe tongues to fix something on a model-T ford, either the transmission, brakes, or clutch I don't remember now. We had a model-T when I was a teenager. My dad, who is now 93, bought it and restored it. It had been being used pretty much as a chicken coop. It was a awesome fun car. The gas was where the wipers are on most cars now and the "spark" was where the blinker is now. You had to match them up to make it run right. One thing though... that crank in the front... it would kick your arse if weren't careful. Magnetos anyone?

I like to study, sort of, how far we have come in such a short time... Space Shuttlles?? A man on the moon in the 1960s?? The War Between the States ended in 1865... with horse cavalry, muzzle loading cannon, wagons. mules, horses... a few breach loaders but pretty much the same sort of technology that we had used for 1,000s of years... horse power (real horses)... then 80... count 'em 80 tears later we end WW II with an nuclear (or nooculer if you prefer) bomb. 80 years from Appomattox to a formal surrender on an aircraft carrier... it is mind boggling to me. The less than 25 years later we the processing power of todays handheld calculator to send a spacecraft to the moon.. and men walk on the moon (or in Sudbury, Ontario if you prefer... *sigh).

Knowledge is increasing exponentially now and it is all at our fingertips, that is what is so amazing. The easy access of knowledge today actually increases knowledge that much faster. Then there is the "grid"... [en.wikipedia.org] who knows we may get a detector that tells us what is in the ground, exactly what the alloy metals are, the shape, depth, and weight... all in a nice female voice with hints of how best to recover the target, considering the rocks that are in the way, the tree roots, and the mineralization, hardness, and moisture content of the ground. The best angle from which to dig to avoid damaging the target.... maybe hold the coil a foot above the ground and lasers like they use on laser gun sights will outline the area where we should dig... or perhaps a laser that will actually cut through anything in the way like a rock or a root while not damaging the target since the target is completely identified and the machine knows exactly where it is...
Perhaps in a couple of decades we will be able to "armchair detect" using a detector that will through use of satellites and maps enable us to detect from the comfort of out homes, mark an exact GPS marker and then go and dig our finds... those lost Confederate cannons and gold. Perhaps we will be able to program into it the exact metal we are seeking. Say we are seeking Confederate plates and we can load the exact alloy makeup of known plates then scan areas using the system that uses satellites and the machine we have at home... find possibles, mark them and go dig...

Who knows what the future may hold... if we can imagine it and it doesn't fly in the face of physics... we can probably realize it, and sooner than we could ever imagine... someone will be pushing the envelope. Possible?? Maybe even probable.. look at how things have changed over the last 100 years. My dad being, like I said. 93 years old remembers the first paved streets on Macon where he lived as a boy. His dad was killed on the RR when he was 18 months old, his grand-dad was dead... he was raised by his mom, step dad, and Grandpa Chapman 2nd Lt. C.S.A.
He grew up with outhouses, early radio, no air conditioning... it is absolutely amazing the change he has lived through. From barnstorming to jets, to rockets, to men on the moon, to a space station. From a time when men were men an were responsible to make it or be left behind... through FDR... up until a couple of years ago he thought that government actually had a social security fund... he grew up in a time when you didn't have to lock the door and you could leave the keys in the car... simpler times. To him the republican party is the "party of Lincoln". I'm sure he got that from Grandpa Chapman...
In any case times have changed and they have changed more than most of us realize... and they are still changing faster than most of us realize. I predict here and now that in 25 years the detectors we use now will be boat anchors... they will be like buggy whips.

"Computer: Earl Grey... hot"

Julien