Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

DIV Hunt wrap-up

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
DIV Hunt wrap-up
March 29, 2015 01:59AM
Well the hunt is officially over. I do gotta say...it was a slow start for me but I ended up doing pretty well on the last couple days. I was able to knock two pretty big items off my WANTED bucket list. Including my #1 item. For those that know me...it has been a long time coming. Seemingly one of the easier things to find has always eluded me in my relic hunting adventures. I'm talking about a US oval plate. Either a belt plate or box plate. I've had them dug literally just yards from me. But I never could get one. Well I got one. It's probably the roughest shape plate I've ever seen but as they say....it is what it is.

I also got my first large cent. I can't read the entire date on it but the last digit is a 9. I thought I had a soliders ID disc when I first popped it from the dirt clod. I dug it at nearly 18 inches deep with the GPX.

And literally...in the last few minutes of the hunt, I decided to play around with the F19. We were parked right beside a spot and I was waiting on the other members of my crew to get back to the truck. This particular spot had been hammered for yrs at each of the hunts at DIV, INCLUDING this one. There was so many nails and ration can pieces...barrel bands, etc that you can walk 20 yards in any direction and a pulse detector will overload the entire time. It clicked in my head....hmm....I'll grab the F19 and play. The guys were working their way back to the truck as I was doing this. I turned it on...walked maybe 10 steps and got a good repeatable signal. At around 5 inches...out pops a round disc. Got it back to the hotel and cleaned it up...it's an 1860 indian head. I had just pulled it from the dirt with 5 minutes to go before the hunt cut off time. I am sitting here wondering what else is in that iron junk now. I shoulda tried the F19 there earlier but it always had so many people on it that I didn't want to try.

There was some good finds made on the hunt but you can tell the property is starting to run thin on the quantity of relics. I would FOR SURE go back if given the chance...but I think it would be better if they reduced the amount of people so that the areas could be searched better without people running all over one another. Here are my coins:

Here is my total take for the hunt:

I spent the last couple days exploring areas I had never been in before. I got into one big field that was always corn stubble when I was there on past hunts. This time it was cut soy beans...and was like a well cut yard. Nobody was really in that field so I gave it a go. According to Google Earth, it is a half mile long and quarter mile wide. I made some zig zag patterns through it and started stumbling onto the shot bullets. I then found out that this field is actually part of the battle of Brandy Station and that the shot bullets I found were probably actually shot in the battle. Pretty cool...and several of them are sharps bullets too. I got 3 eagle "A" artillery buttons and a NY cuff staff button. The rest are just plain shield eagles.
Re: DIV Hunt wrap-up
March 29, 2015 02:09AM
Well done Daniel. I expected nothing less from you. Congrats on your finds. I would be very happy. You may have also come upon a strategy for future DIV hunts. Pulse unit one day or part of a day and F-19 the other. Definitely helps with the tiring with weight and probably adds to the variety of finds you end up with at the end of the hunt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 03:01AM by tnsharpshooter.
March 29, 2015 02:35AM
I am thinking the same thing....a great strategy that hasn't been played yet. When people have came to these hunts, the race was always to try and go deeper. The mindset is that everything is DEEP. But at the same time, look at what detectors most people have used at the hunts. EVERYBODY has a pulse machine now. I think I saw less than 10 people using a VLF detector....most of those were Whites 5900s or B&G Pros, MXTs, a couple F75s and a couple AT Pros. And all of them had big coils on them to try and go DEEP. Before the pulse machines caught on, most everybody was running a Whites machine of some sorts....be it the 5900s or MXTs. Troy's X5 was popular for a while as well, with the DD coil he made for it.

As far as I know, I'm the only person that has taken one of the newer high freq/fast recovery speed machines with a small coil in to some of these heavy iron/ration can spots. I may want to keep a lid on that and keep that one in the bag of tricks. It may not get much...but then again if you pull a couple buttons here...a couple there...by the end of the hunt, you might end up with a pretty good display.
March 29, 2015 02:58AM
Thanks for sharing your DIV experiences, Daniel.

HH
Mike
March 29, 2015 03:16AM
Glad you're back to detecting - your thoughtful write-ups are valuable.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 29, 2015 10:49AM
Very nice Daniel

nice haul/display of finds and good write up as well...

Is that a cap box/cartridge box finial I see in the picture!? Upper 5th row on the very end??

Nice! And cool coins/buttons too - heck = all of it!

Congrats
March 29, 2015 04:29PM
Cool finds.
March 29, 2015 04:49PM
Sounds good Daniel..

Lets see a pic of the plate..Rough is better than Non LOL!!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 29, 2015 06:48PM
Ole' Daniel did it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
March 29, 2015 09:03PM
Very nice hunt and I like your strategy on this hunt. Take some time and try something different. Thanks for the update.
March 29, 2015 09:26PM
Keith -- The plate...or whats left of it...is in the group shot pic of all the finds. It's on the bottom under the pocket knife...the thing with the big hole in the middle of it that cuts out most of where the U.S. should be lol

The finds are still up there and plenty of them to go around. But getting them is gonna require new strategies. Everybody now days has a GPX and now that the easy finds have dried up in the open areas...they think that what remains is SUPER deep. So they are bringing in those 12x15 and 18 inch coils. Heck...my machine with the 11 inch coil goes plenty deep and overloads on all that shallow ration can stuff. I actually wish they made a 5 inch DD coil for the GPX to use the iron discrimination. The other way around this is going back to a Whites TDI. They make all sorts of smaller coils for it; may go that route to hunt the trashy areas. Or just do the F19 thing. I do think the pulse machine would handle the overall soil better though.
March 29, 2015 10:56PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am thinking the same thing....a great strategy
> that hasn't been played yet. When people have
> came to these hunts, the race was always to try
> and go deeper. The mindset is that everything is
> DEEP. But at the same time, look at what
> detectors most people have used at the hunts.
> EVERYBODY has a pulse machine now. I think I saw
> less than 10 people using a VLF detector....most
> of those were Whites 5900s or B&G Pros, MXTs, a
> couple F75s and a couple AT Pros. And all of them
> had big coils on them to try and go DEEP. Before
> the pulse machines caught on, most everybody was
> running a Whites machine of some sorts....be it
> the 5900s or MXTs. Troy's X5 was popular for a
> while as well, with the DD coil he made for it.
>
> As far as I know, I'm the only person that has
> taken one of the newer high freq/fast recovery
> speed machines with a small coil in to some of
> these heavy iron/ration can spots. I may want to
> keep a lid on that and keep that one in the bag of
> tricks. It may not get much...but then again if
> you pull a couple buttons here...a couple
> there...by the end of the hunt, you might end up
> with a pretty good display.

your not "quite" the first Dan. While I DO generally use a GPX at Div's, I have spent quite a few hours in those "busy" spots with my G2, and my wife with her Gold bug Pro. She literally killed it at a past Brandy DIV on buttons with her Gold bug. While things may be thinning there, there are literally thousands of good relics left there to recover. I'd go back in a heart beat. I not only got quite a number of buttons and bullets there this hunt, but also got one of the rarest buttons I have ever dug. A Mobile Volunteer Corps button in nice shape. I literally spent two days of the hunt in one little 100'X100' spot picking goodies out of the crap with the GPX and a 14" coil. Glad I got to run into you and say hey........
March 29, 2015 11:25PM
Streak -- I thought you said an AVC at the dinner....that would have been great too and I was happy to hear ya got that. But its a MVC?!! Holy Crap thats even better!

I agree about Brandy not being done. I heard a few people complaining they hadnt found anything but its easy to see why some don't. They'll walk half way across a field with their detector thrown over the shoulder, then stop and take a few dozen swings (usually when they get close to someone working a spot) and then are totally gone out of sight. I would like to see a return trip or two there...with 7 days of hunting. BUT only half the people. There are still stuff in those hot spots but it makes it hard to hunt them throughly when 50 other people are doing the same. There was so many people in that Wisconsin camp that people were basically standing in one spot walking in circles lol I got as far away from the crowds as I could. Which got me out of the known hot areas but I picked up a few scraps exploring different areas looking for the next hot spot.