Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I have a opportunity to get a new CTX 3030 need advice

Posted by Mccrorysjewelry2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I have a opportunity to get a new CTX 3030 need advice
April 16, 2015 11:16PM
Okay guys really need your opionuns. I am a coin hunter and want a detector that goes deep and loves silver. I have the opertunity to buy a brand new CTX 3030. I would be trading in my Deus with 9 and 11 inch coil and my Racer with 3 coils plus $250. Would this be a good deal for me and would I be happier as a deep old coin hunter with the CTX 3030? I know they are a heavy detector but, after talking with Ed Huffman he feels the CTX 3030 is one of the best deep silver detectors if not the best he has ever used. Please tell me what you think about this detector and is it simple to use. Thanks, Kevin
Re: I have a opportunity to get a new CTX 3030 need advice
April 16, 2015 11:20PM
Sounds like you're getting ripped off to me.
April 16, 2015 11:35PM
If you are not doing water....I would get a E-trac!.........seems better to me on silver!......The darn 3030..don"t go up high enough in tones for me!
April 16, 2015 11:41PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like you're getting ripped off to me.

Agreed!!
Both your Deus or the Racer are good backup/alternatives for the CTX and if you really want one , exercise some patience and watch for a used one with a year or two of warranty for 1500 or 1600 , then pick up the 6" coil on the side. I've seen a few times where the 6" was included for that. I'm not crazy about the reliability issues of the CTX but if you have some warranty to get familiar with it , you will know whether you have a troublesome unit or not. I couldn't be happier with the one I picked up from Trucker Greg. It's a top notch detector
April 16, 2015 11:58PM
Here are my thoughts. You have declared you're a coin hunter. A CTX is a good coin hunter, but it has its weaknesses. The 2 detectors you are considering trading, both are great separators. And both are better relic hunters than the CTX IMO. If you want a CTX I would buy a used one. But you could also buy a used etrac or a new one and use one of your other detectors to bridge the weakness of the minelabs on lower conductors and separation.

Here's my recommendations sell either one of your Deus coils and come up with the difference and buy a used etrac. Then you have all bases covered except water hunting.
Or sell your Racer combo and again come up with the difference and buy a used Etrac. (IMO you wouldn't need many additional funds)

There is talk of smaller coil for Deus a coming and additional updates. IMO big mistake to get rid of all your Deus gear!!

Or just buy an etrac used straight out and keep what you have.

The trade you are considering is nonsense IMO. The chap wanting you to do this is licking his chops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 12:36AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 17, 2015 12:20AM
If you look around you cnan buy a CTX new for about 1750.00..

So think it out..

The CTX is the finest coin hunter made...it has the edge in trash that no other FBS can touch....You have to think outside the box to get the performance..Its very deep too if you get the ground bal set up slightly NOISY..It offers the settings to succeed that other FBS uits do not have...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 17, 2015 01:19AM
Why not sell a Deus or Racer then try for a CTX used. I do not know how the CTX and Etrac compare but there are a few saying an Etrac can stand its own vs CTX so Etrac sounds like an option.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
April 17, 2015 01:23AM
I would never go back to an etrac after owning both...thats just my opinion though...I would however keep either the deus or racer and then buy one...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 01:29AM by bigboar.
April 17, 2015 01:27AM
I'd trade the dues for etrac and keep the racer!
April 17, 2015 01:56AM
Ha guys I'm willing to trade a like new Racer with 3 coils for a Minelab CTX 3030 plus a new pair of bumble bee headphones. I also have a 9 inch Deus coil to throw in the deal. If you are interested please P. M. Me. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 01:59AM by Mccrorysjewelry2.
April 17, 2015 03:11AM
Wow so many different views..yeah I would keep the deus also but I have no idea about minelabs too heavy for me and I'm a relic hunter there are a lot of coins us relic hunters find and a lot of real cool stuff other then coins..I'm not a bottle hunter but I have a lot of cool old glass from the 1800s that I find hunting relic sites I have one area that was a hobo camp back from the 1840s and I had to get the racer and the small coil to hunt that area this fall I will find a lot of tools from back in the day but I sometimes like iron hunting...who knows what I'll find but I have that to look forward to and I can't wait

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 17, 2015 03:21AM
Keep them both and get an Etrac as better detector for the money . IMHO.
April 17, 2015 06:24AM
Richard @ Backwoods Detectors has my CTX that I traded. He was asking $1400 something for it. It was in super good shape. If he still has it, you might want to look into that and save you some $. He might work out a trade deal too.
April 17, 2015 12:15PM
I saw it listed in findmall by him. He had it for $1489 but I think he sold it. It stated the warranty was expired though...

Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Richard @ Backwoods Detectors has my CTX that I
> traded. He was asking $1400 something for it. It
> was in super good shape. If he still has it, you
> might want to look into that and save you some $.
> He might work out a trade deal too.
April 17, 2015 01:18PM
Hey Kevin,

My suggestion is that you contact Coin Whisperer on Friendly.
He is 95% coins, 5% relics and kills it in the Danville/Chatham area of VA with his "dirty 30" as he calls it.
He should be able to give you the skinny on what his CTX can do (in his dirt, anyway).

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
April 17, 2015 02:00PM
Shop around as trading in usually get the short end of the stick...I think you would do better by selling what you have and then buying a used one from a prominent trader with some warranty left..
April 17, 2015 02:24PM
I want to Thank everyone for you opinions and help. After talking to Jack Flynn on the phone I have decided to hold off on selling my Racer or Deus 9 inch coil. Jack gave me some good info to try out on both machines to try and get the performance that I am looking for in my type of hunting. I have never tried off set or negative ground balancing a detector to get more depth. Would like to hear others thoughts on this subject. Thanks again for all you help, Kevin
April 17, 2015 02:41PM
Negative offset will help, but in iron/nails they start sounding better/good. In more open ground it's a better option/strategy. Deus with 11" coil will get down deeper than some think. Silencer -1 and Reactivity 0 or 1 is key. In my soil a 1 setting of Reactivity is better than 0, but remember my soil is 4 bars on F75 meter in most places. In milder soil a zero setting would be the best IMO. And the sound the deepie gives is not as apparent as some may think. IMO to hear the fringe depth targets the best, neither the WS4 or WS5 headphones are the best bet. You need a headset that really keeps the ambient noise out. So the headphone adapter with Xp module and a good noise insulating pair of headphones is your best bet. And food for thought. Someone show me a head to head you tube please where the CTX with stock coil is a banging a deep coin, and the XP deus with 11" coil attached is not.

And some additional info. XP Deus with 11" coil will find deep nickels far better than Etrac/CTX. As a matter a fact I feel in old hunted out parks the nickels are the majority of what's left. To me an old coin is an old coin. You should hear the difference between my Deus with both 9 and 11" coils compared to CTX with stock coil over my 10" nickel in my back yard. Biiiiiiiiiiig difference. The CTX sounds ugly with cursor all over the map. Deus rings crisp and clean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 02:55PM by tnsharpshooter.