Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

tide delta

Posted by dj 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
dj
tide delta
July 08, 2010 05:44PM
Tom, Have watched your beach dvd several times.Love it but slightly confused. Is the 5 ft delta the ONLY magic number when finding troughs at the beach??? Am I incorrect in assuming that a delta of 6 or 7 ft is too high? Keep up the great work you do for our hobby!!!!! DJ
Re: tide delta
July 09, 2010 02:40AM
Good/valid question. You need to find out about YOUR specific location. I know many parts of the East Coast have the span of the low 2-foot tide deltas...........to 7 days later...........having a high of 5-foot tide deltas. Sometimes....it's nearly a 6-foot tide delta. The higher the tide delta...... the better the conditions. Another key/good index..........is the low tide delta at a 0.0-foot level...........or...does it go negative; say -0.6 feet. When this happens...........the water is further out...........exposing areas.........that...........normally are under water at all times.

Find out.............or 'track' YOUR specific beaches..........and see when/how you should hunt. IT'S IMPORTANT! (You will see why!).
July 09, 2010 12:32PM
Amazing what you will discover....
If I detect "to low" in the delta, (too close to the low tide mark-In MY Particular area) AND I find new coins/caps etc...
I stop and move Up a few feet, higher in that delta.
Wham-Older and shallower targets.. and ring number 4.

Oh-And I am on my 8th viewing of the dvd's...
July 09, 2010 12:56PM
Very good. This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. You have found the SAND that is more dense (more supportive); subsequently, finding higher density targets. """No surprise here""" should become a more natural statement (with time & experience)...........then; higher-rate-of-occurence.
July 10, 2010 12:10AM
I just want to make sure I understand this tide delta. Is the water actually moving out or is it dropping down like a water table.
A 2 ft low tide exposes less sand then a 6 ft low tide. I work better with pictures. The term tide delta is a new one to me and I'm a little confused.
I always thought that a 2 ft was better than a 6 ft.

Forgive me i'm Canadian!!!

Turtleman

And now you know how I got my name
July 10, 2010 02:08AM
The tide (water table) will drop down 2-feet........vertically. When there is a 5-foot tide delta..........the water table will rise 5-feet (at high tide).......then........drop down 5-feet vertically at low tide. This makes for a steeper slope..........and overall..... a longer wet-slope. (((More exposure.....more wet slope to hunt))).
July 11, 2010 11:03PM
Looking at the panhandle (Gulf County/Mexico Beach) deltas... is discouraging to say the least. It looks like a 2' delta is a BIG one, still.. that is where we go, where the wimmen folk are happy, so that is where i'll hunt. There were Confederate saltworks in the area, maybe I can find someone or somplace where I can hunt relics one day. I'll be down there soon. If there is nothing to find I have 4 good books to read, three Stephen Hunter books and "Inside the Third Reich", by Albert Speer.

Julien