Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deus/Racer out of ground test (very, very interesting)

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deus/Racer out of ground test (very, very interesting)
June 04, 2015 11:28PM
I made a find yesterday, the story can be read about here. I compared both Racer with stock coil and Deus with 9" coil.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Well today I performed some additional test on the find from yesterday. I must say one very interesting thing was noted.

With the dug target in its original configuration, I tested with both Deus 9" coil using Deus fast factory program and Makro Racer in 3 tone gain 85 with both small OOR coil and stock sized coil. Coil height above target 3- 6 inches

This test was performed in a sanitary environment on a set of concrete steps. Both detectors G/B to the concrete. No iron noted.

First up was Deus. Target read when sweeping long ways and crossways with a nice high concise tone screen reading 87, with a VDI variance of no more than 1 point between sweeps, using multiple sweeps, at least 15. Deus tone IMO dig me, dig me. I even tried Reactivity setting 4 silencer 1, no changes noted.

Next up Racer with stock coil, sweeping long ways, I obtained that hollow sounding/longer tone. To me-- No dig me signal. Screen numbers would read as high as 83 but would tail off as the coil approached the edge of target. As much as 30 points.
Racer with small OOR coil, similar results as the stock coil.

Swinging crossways the Racer with stock coil and small coil would yield a nice concise 83 with nice concise tone, Dig me, Dig me.

Next I ground the brad off, to removed the washer, then swept each individual component. For discussion purposes I will refer to the washer as a washer and the other part as the shank. I suspect the washer is made of zinc.

Shank readings
Deus 85 nice sweet concise tone, dig me
Racer with both stock/small coils 83, nice concise tone dig me

Washer
Deus 81 on every sweep, nice concise high clean tone, dig me
Racer with both stock/small coils, 79 on every sweep, blah longer tone, more hollow sounding, definitely not dig me imo.

So next I tried to reassemble the found target (less the small part ground off), I was able to duplicate what I saw yesterday with the target in ground. As I continued to test I was not able to duplicate. So I started thinking, could the 2 different parts be grounded out (touching)? Figuring with all the removing and reinstalling the washer over the shank I actually wore the corrosion that was built up off. So I took some electrical tape and put over the shank to insulate. Sure enough now I was able to get the same results with Racer I had gotten earlier today as well as yesterday before I dug it.

So with the 2 different parts (shank and washer isolated from one another electrically I installed the washer over the shank.

In this new slightly altered configuration (shank ground off slightly), I then continued my test.

Deus with target swept either long ways or cross ways gave a good nice concise high tone dig me signal VDI 87. Most VDI spread noted 1 point. I did try reactivity level 4 as well - no change.

Racer with both coils swept cross ways gave a nice concise tone, VDI 83 dig me
Racer with stock coil when swept long ways. A hollow tone, longer with VDI spread on average 7 points, but with real slow sweep as many as 16 points. Highest number noted was 84 in screen.
Racer with small coil when swept long ways again hollow longer sound, not as concise as when swept cross ways, Screen readings would read 83 but as coil passed the edge of target VDI would drop to as low as high 40s at times, mostly around 54, definitely at least 20 points on sweeps.

Now go back and look at what the shank and washer individually read screen wise. Remember the washer was installed over the copper shank. So the Racer when swept was seeing the copper shank and then the washer or vise versa. Why the drop on the meter??? I mean both the washer and shank individually read much more than say 54, don't they?? It seems to me the Racer senses alloy/metal changes and in doing so the screen number fluctuations indicate this. And the tone seems to reflect this as well. I did check the washer by itself even holding it on edge and air testing and was able to continually get at least 79 on the screen on Racer at similar distances used in tests.. I can say with both CoRe and Racer using small coils, I've never dug a coin that did what the target described above does when swept crossways--meaning those large fast screen ## drops. Could the Racer be trying to reset TID wise and this be the cause of the sudden spike down on the screen #s????

I don't know even if the Deus was able to see the washer when installed on the shank or even the washer on the originally dug target. I can't say one way or the other.

I can say the Racer with both stock and small coils appears to see this target both in original form and slightly altered form different than the Deus does when swept longways.

Here are the pics of the original, and the disassembled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2015 11:43PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Deus/Racer out of ground test (very, very interesting)
June 05, 2015 12:13AM
I just did another quick experiment. Racer users try this with stock coil. Get a clad quarter and a zincoln. In 3 tone sweep them separately and see how nice they sound, nice short concise. Now put the quarter and zincoln on clean ground about 1.5 inches apart. Now sweep and see what you get. I get that hollow sounding tone, with screen numbers jumping a lot like my test above. Try it and see. I think this proves it's something with the different alloys. Remember both the zincoln and quarter are both more towards the higher conductor side of things.
June 05, 2015 12:35AM
I think the audio fluctuations at least may be due to the fact its on the edge of the tone break in D3 and its blending mid and high..Ive had some minie' balls that frankly sound bad. If you were looking to ust dig clean high tones in a modern enviroment. Did you try it in 2 tone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2015 12:36AM by deadlift.
June 05, 2015 12:55AM
I just checked a quarter and a 1963 lincoln as I tested above. Tone sounds a smidge better, screen numbers still windshield wipe and drop off in window before disappearing.

And for gee wiz. clad nickel is lower tone and a tad longer than say a clad dime. Put the quarter about 1.5" from nickel and sweep. Longer tone than either coin swept singularly and screen numbers all over the place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2015 01:05AM by tnsharpshooter.
June 05, 2015 10:53PM
David, I have to hand it to you for doing these tests.....and anyone else who has the patience to do these type of tests. You guys know how to get in the zone, kudos!
June 05, 2015 11:17PM
Take your F75 and do that same test...

the DEUS has an awful I.D. system...just lumps things into conglomerate bins..I hardly to never look at the screen..

the F75 will probably be more like the Racer..

Im not still not sure what your trying to figure out.??

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 06, 2015 12:10AM
It appears when 2 dissimilar conductive targets are near one and swept with Racer. It sure doesn't combine them or even report the lower conductive's targets VDI.
I really don't know but I did some test with both Deus 9" coil and F75ltd2 with 5" coil. When 2 coins i.e. quarter and a nickel are spaced a bit and swept with F75 it will never give a VDI lower than the lowest conductor (coin) swept. F75 seems more to average the targets. The Deus seems to report more the highest conductor reading. The Racer seems to do something else. TID sure don't look like F75. With racer and a spaced zincoln and quarter to obtain one tone, TID readings all the way in the 40s at times. And a nickel on Racer reads 55 on the meter when swept separate. This I find, valuable info, if using the Racer.
June 06, 2015 01:32AM
Take your F75 and put it in DP...or even 4 tones..

see what the tones do on different sweep angles...dont worrry about the I.D.

Ive often wondered if the Visual and the Audible report is not sampled from the same spot to create a unison I.D to match the Blended audio report on the Racer/CoRe..

On most machines that is independant of each other....

Im away from my gear right now so I cant help you other than through my thoughts..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 06, 2015 01:38AM
TNSS....... yes/correct.
March 01, 2016 11:18AM
So what conclusions were drawn from this? It's well known that combining (alloying) two high conductive metals of different types will almost always yield an ID that is lower than either alone. A good example is a gold ring. Pure gold reads high as does silver, alloy them together and the ring reads lower. The Deus sees only the highest conductivity and the Racer sees both AND a blending as well.

There is a detector I have used that can give correct ID locks on high conductors near large rusty iron nails and at the same time touching a nonferrous item of a drastically different conductivity.

Tom

Dimitar
March 01, 2016 05:46PM
Hah!
I posted on the very SAME Topic AND Target some years ago on another forum!
Seems [ some detectors ] have the ability [ to spot 2 different ] components i.e. a bolt and a washer

Brain freeze has come 'cos I cannot for the life of me remember much about what "I deduced" at the time?

Note: I was probably pitting 2 detectors against each other at the time same as what you did? (I do remember 'destroying' the experiment and cutting the washer off the bolt and then cutting the bolt in half???)
March 04, 2016 12:22AM
I hunt with a friend that uses a Deus and I've never dug so many square nails and rusty bottle caps as he has in a single hunt.

My definition of a detector that is a leap of technology is one that improves the ratio of good targets to bad targets, not one that gets lots of good targets while you are also digging 50% more holes of bad targets. You can do that with an old 1980's detector with disc set really low.