Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wondering why machines are labeled the way they are?

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Wondering why machines are labeled the way they are?
July 12, 2015 03:20PM
Can't for the life of me figure why a machine would be labeled a coin machine or the next a relic machine and even the next a jewelry machine. I figure if it's a good machine it'll get the goods, you just have to dig it. That's been my experience anyway.....
Re: Wondering why machines are labeled the way they are?
July 12, 2015 03:39PM
Likely just a marketing strategy, sell more units even if likely same electronics.
I agree we need to dig to be sure but there is just so much time we can spend on mostly pulltabs to get at the gold.. hh
July 12, 2015 04:41PM
Machines that run at lower frequencies (4-8KHz) are better suited to finding milled silver, bronze and copper coins. So they get labelled as 'coin hunters', even though they are less than ideal at finding cupro-nickel coins like US 5c, 3c, etc, and ancient coins from Europe.

The term 'Relics' tends to encompass a huge range of target types, from tiny to large, including iron. So 'Relic machines' are good all-rounders, typically operating at a medium frequency (12-14K is common), and they often have decent target ID / discrimination adjustment in the iron range (eg. Teknetics T2) to allow the user to be selective about what iron is picked out.

As for Jewellery/Jewelry, most people want to find gold, rather than silver, I guess. A higher operating frequency is considered better (15-25KHz) at finding ladies finger-rings, small chains, ear-rings etc in gold. So these machines get labelled 'Jewelry hunters'.
July 13, 2015 02:33PM
The F75 was designed/targeted to be primarily a 'coin' hunter. Turns out........ it's a strong coin hunter; yet, it's a superior relic unit.
The Mfr's design intent was (unknowingly/unsuspectingly) redefined once real-world dirt/conditions were encountered.
July 13, 2015 02:41PM
Imagine according to manufacturers spec's they are tested rel various targets thus being put in a certain category.
I used to believe frequencies came into play but with new units coming out it blew my theories out of the water...
July 13, 2015 03:13PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Imagine according to manufacturers spec's they are
> tested rel various targets thus being put in a
> certain category.
> I used to believe frequencies came into play but
> with new units coming out it blew my theories out
> of the water...

Same here been a little sceptical about frequencies, not that I understand the theory much. hh
July 14, 2015 12:14AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Imagine according to manufacturers spec's they are
> tested rel various targets thus being put in a
> certain category.
> I used to believe frequencies came into play but
> with new units coming out it blew my theories out
> of the water...
Exactly what I was thinking, blown up!
July 14, 2015 01:33AM
Certainly marketing at play, but often it will point you in the right general direction (some worse than others). You guys think detectors are bad, Bass fishing rods take it to the extreme. All over a fish that averages a pound lol
July 14, 2015 02:08AM
deadlift Wrote:
> Certainly marketing at play, but often it will
> point you in the right general direction (some
> worse than others). You guys think detectors are
> bad, Bass fishing rods take it to the extreme. All
> over a fish that averages a pound lol

Crappie rods, catfish rod, trout rods, salmon rods, panfish rods, carp rods, musky rods, pike rods, noddle rods, fly rods, baitcast rods, spinning rods, ultra-light rods, trolling rods....and 100+ of each to choose from.

Been there, of all the rods and reels I had, there was one that got used 90% of the time. Still have that rod and reel today, 20 years later, casts wonderfully and the reel is smooth as glass.
It has caught every type of freshwater fish you can imagine. I take care of my equipment so they still look as good as the perform.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
July 14, 2015 02:50AM
I don't know but why is it that just about every VLF detector that has Discrimination labels or calls it discrimination and then a new detector comes out and and labels it Filter?