Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

best machine you have used in iron

Posted by treasurehunter747 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
best machine you have used in iron
July 24, 2015 12:56AM
Hello Folks,
Was thinking about metal detecting over the years in some heavy iron and wanted to know..... What is the best machine you have ever used in iron laden sites, whether light or very heavy iron concentration?? I myself am looking for an Gold Mountain Technologies 1650 to use when IAM hunting in iron. Thanks for your information and as always......... Keep on Diggin!!!!!!!!!!

Frank---North Carolina---
Re: best machine you have used in iron
July 24, 2015 01:03AM
My favorites have been some of the Tesoros and the White's Classic III and IDX Pro until recently. I also like the Fisher Gold Bug Pro and F19 but my latest is, so far my all time favorite and it's the Makro Racer. It picks goodies out of areas full of iron that have been hunted to death for many years.
July 24, 2015 01:10AM
Covered here pretty much.

1. Makro Racer w/ 5 inch coil
2. XP Deus w/ 9 inch coil
3. Garrett AT Pro w/ small coil

These are detectors I have used. Not detectors that I read about.
July 24, 2015 01:12AM
I have been hearing and reading a lot of good things about the makro Racer so maybe I need to get one and give it a try. I had been looking at the Nokta Fors Core but never did bite the bullet. Thanks guys.....

Frank
July 24, 2015 01:36AM
It was the F75 LTD until I got the Racer which unthroned the F75.

I'll get a lot more data on the Racer and F75 in iron on my 8 day ghost town trip in September >grinning smiley<
July 24, 2015 02:02AM
Any of the ED-120 Tesoros do well in the iron, been using them since 1995. They are simple, dependable, hardly ever need sent in, they find both good and bad non-ferrous targets in the small ferrous trash. If I dig up a nail first, then I know that a non-ferrous target is still in the hole.
July 24, 2015 02:06AM
The best thing to date in Iron is the DEUS/GMP and then a close second is the DTVG...

The Racer with 5 inch will see some stuff that few other will also but ti takes the 5 to do it..the DEUS is amazing as in that it just does its thing with a 9 inch that nothing can touch plus achives depth to boot ..

I liked the 1650 but its not like the modern units in terms of what it can unmask..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 24, 2015 02:36AM
RACER

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
July 24, 2015 02:50AM
treasurehunter747 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been hearing and reading a lot of good
> things about the makro Racer so maybe I need to
> get one and give it a try. I had been looking at
> the Nokta Fors Core but never did bite the bullet.
> Thanks guys.....
>
>
> Frank
Either one will be exceptional in some of the heaviest trash you can imagine.
July 24, 2015 02:53AM
Deus, Tejon, f19 w/5"coil
July 24, 2015 03:04AM
Racer with 5" and 5x10 will Donald Trump the F19smoking smiley

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
July 24, 2015 03:09AM
Racer/CoRe with small OOR coil and Deus with 9" coil. These seem to work well for me.
July 24, 2015 03:21AM
lots of good ones listed ..

But you have to look at the Architecture of the DEUS....see what it does with the 9 inch..or even the 11 for that matter in Iorn contamination..

Something beyond straight forward VLF operating character takes place that's not fully understood of HOW AND WHY it happens..

Again the DEUS is the APEX unmasker...Im not sure people have fully realized this YET..The audio can be a hinderance for fully unlocking it full potential till you get that CORRECT NUANCED SOUND in your head...

Aagain a PHENOMENAL instrument to have on hand if applied accordingly..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 24, 2015 03:59AM
I realize it Keith--have 2 units with multiple coils----units will not be going anywhere anytime soon. Will definitely be interesting if and when they introduce a new flagship. Knock on wood, but you see very few problems with the units on detector forums. They must put their units through rigorous tests before release.

Keith,
Have you ever talked to anyone who has had the privilege of testing either the prereleased Deus or any of the version updates before release ?????
July 24, 2015 01:55PM
Since I got the F75 LTD2 with the FA mode, I find the FA mode amazing. I haven't even used it with the small coil yet, I'm still using the 11"DD and the 10" eliptical. It is like it pulls stuff out of thin air. I've never experienced anything like it.

For me that is the best iron unmasker.

HH
Mike
July 24, 2015 06:39PM
Mike,
I also liked using the F75Ltd2 with the FA mode. I had both the 5"DD and the 3"x 6" concentric for the F75 but as soon as I started using the Racer with the 5" coil, the F75 went up for sale.
July 24, 2015 06:49PM
I do wonder why I see so MANY Dues machines up for sale lately?

Is it the same old same old, people just not investing the time required to learn the machine? Is it too complicated?

It definitely seems to work for those that get it, which makes me wonder why we see so many for sale? I've been really tempted to get one, but I just don't have the time right now to try to learn a new machine with a high learning curve, I need to spend the time researching new sites to detect, and making finds grinning smiley
July 24, 2015 07:54PM
Maybe not the best iron machine I have used but, good for an honorable mention low cost machine, the Teknetics Eurotek Pro with a 5" coil sure is a lot of fun in iron.
July 25, 2015 12:54AM
cadman Wrote:
> Maybe not the best iron machine I have used but,
> good for an honorable mention low cost machine,
> the Teknetics Eurotek Pro with a 5" coil sure is a
> lot of fun in iron.

I was just about to add the very same - I found the ETP to be a fantastic unit in iron for the price
July 25, 2015 01:54AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> I do wonder why I see so MANY Dues machines up for
> sale lately?
>
> Is it the same old same old, people just not
> investing the time required to learn the machine?
> Is it too complicated?
>
> It definitely seems to work for those that get it,
> which makes me wonder why we see so many for sale?
> I've been really tempted to get one, but I just
> don't have the time right now to try to learn a
> new machine with a high learning curve, I need to
> spend the time researching new sites to detect,
> and making finds grinning smiley

Deus is not hard to learn. I think it's coin hunters who buy them and become dissatisfied. And many of these folks have run Minelabs. And for coin seeking park hunters I think some of the folks just go back to say Etrac, ect. The older folks though---like the lite weight of the Deus for sure.
July 25, 2015 03:55AM
I'm very sure it has to do with the trash to finds ratio. Cal_cobra Wrote:
> I do wonder why I see so MANY Dues machines up for
> sale lately?
>
> Is it the same old same old, people just not
> investing the time required to learn the machine?
> Is it too complicated?
>
> It definitely seems to work for those that get it,
> which makes me wonder why we see so many for sale?
> I've been really tempted to get one, but I just
> don't have the time right now to try to learn a
> new machine with a high learning curve, I need to
> spend the time researching new sites to detect,
> and making finds grinning smiley
October 24, 2015 12:18PM
Tel t2 with 5" DD coil.
My gamma 6000 does well also.
Cz-6a ain't bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2015 03:44AM by supertraq.
October 24, 2015 03:07PM
Incredibly subjective due to differing environments and techniques/experience. I'm headed out now to get more experience...eye rolling smiley
October 24, 2015 06:30PM
For me it's the GC-1023 and the Deus (11" coil) right now (my both 9" coils are unfortunately refusing to work). The GC-1023 has good separation, but the Deus scans the whole area under its coil and filters the iron out of the signal. I'm hunting at the river right now. It's an industrial route with tons of iron. I have chosen the Deus because of its variety of tones. It has so much audio information... I can avoid many pieces of weird "industrial garbage" and (of course) iron. This doesn't mean I wont dig trash, but it's mainly trash that "could also be something good".

P.s. The Deus is in my opinion a pure audio machine. It should have been released without TID. It still has a big problem - the love for aluminum... Hunting parks with modern trash can be a very frustrating experience. I hated this machine for this, but now I'm at the river and in the woods and the more I hunt with it, the more I like it.
October 24, 2015 09:34PM
The xp with 9" hits better than most machines with sniper coils on. Tejon with 5" concentric coil might be only one better. If xp ever comes out with a smaller coil it will be untouchable.
October 25, 2015 01:25AM
I hunt old homesteads and mining areas here in southwestern colorado. I have hunted these sites and found lots of old coins from the 1800s up to the 1890s. These sites are littered with tin flakes, stove parts, old chunks of iron and the ground balances in the low 90s. The machines I currently own are the Deus, F 75 fa and dst, at pro, tesoro eldorado, Bandido 2 umax, vaquero, outlaw and tejon. Do to the sage brush everywhere the eldorado and bandido 2 umax has produced the most. In the valleys where there is little sage brush the Deus is king. Followed by the f 75 and vaquero with the new coil for depth. Tesoro detectors are hard to beat in the iron with square nails littered everywhere. Unmasking in this environment the deus is king though.
October 25, 2015 03:24PM
The OP's original question was "What is the best machine you have ever used in iron laden sites". That is a very key part to that question. I have used all of the above mentioned heavy hitters. For me personally...the top spot goes to the Deus with 9 inch coil. The versatile nature of the Deus is what sets it apart. I had a Racer when it first came out and traded it without giving it a real fighting chance...and then later on, bought another one and gave it a very good run down. I feel that the iron working ability goes in favor of the Deus due to being able to change the reactivity settings to suit the site you are hunting. My observation is that the Racer runs at a non changeable recovery speed/reactivity setting equivalent to around 1 or 2 on the Deus. The Deus can be set to be much faster. If you are the type person that likes to have the ability to set a machine to site conditions...the Deus is the better machine for that but it does require knowledge on settings and what each setting does. While the Racer is more of a turn on and go machine that doesn't require a lot of knowledge or tweaking to find stuff in iron. I feel that in the hands of a skilled Deus user, they could go into an iron laden site behind a Racer and pull out non ferrous items that were missed. Especially anything that was beyond 5 inches deep. Just my thoughts.

When you start getting into the modern trash...ID aspect of things. Neither Racer nor Deus are great ID machines for modern trash sites IMO. The Deus does lump a lot of aluminum targets into good sounding signals...but the Racer does the same thing with those dreaded 82 ID numbers. And in thick iron, the IDs are out the window too...basically you'd best dig anything that beeps that isn't iron or you'll leave a lot behind. That's how the Deus was meant to be used anyway. Those type sites are what I have an abundance of, and that is the simple reason I am swinging a 15 yr old Explorer XS with small coil and have an eTrac on the way that I sold my Racer to get. They both stink in heavy iron sites...but for picking coins out of aluminum trash and such, there aren't any better machines for the job that I have found. I've not had the XS long at all but it is getting down right scary of how well it can ID can slaw, aluminum tabs, etc just by tones.

I would still like to have a machine for those iron sites. The bad part about the Deus is the price they command. That is where the Racer kills it for sure...for the price, it sure is hard to beat. I have my eyes on their Gold + machine and hoping it might be a little better for bad soil and possibly better ID. I have a feeling their next flagship machine will be way beyond where they are now in ID for modern trash.
October 26, 2015 03:44AM
Have come across several good detectors for iron laced sites, Deus, GMP, Vista Gold and several others but one detector that has recently gotten my attention is the newest Blisstool model V6.

Currently, It's my grab and go detector for both deep finds and areas laced with iron . This new Blisstool model has a new feature (Ore mode) which in many ways operates with the same principle as Deus Reactivity mode, this added fast recovery speed is adjustable between 3 down to 1.

With a setting of 3, shifts the v6 into super fast recovery. A setting of 2 speeds up even faster for areas of poor mineralization or areas extreamly trashy or laced with iron. Shifting down to 1 kicks the v6 into lighting fast recovery this is for extreamly trashy areas coupled with extream mineralization.

Those that own the new v6, most will have hard time understanding ore mode and may only see the v6 as a deep seeking machine. Takes time to learn ore mode, and those that eventually learn ore mode will have in their hands one of the best detectors they ever owned It's deadly fast and that's an under statement.

Very honored to be one of the first Blisstool v6 users, hidden serect eventually others will experience the same.

Paul
October 26, 2015 03:51AM
Old California Wrote:
> Have come across several good detectors for iron
> laced sites, Deus, GMP, Vista Gold and several
> others but one detector that has recently gotten
> my attention is the newest Blisstool model V6.
>
> Currently, It's my grab and go detector for both
> deep finds and areas laced with iron . This new
> Blisstool model has a new feature (Ore mode) which
> in many ways operates with the same principle as
> Deus Reactivity mode, this added fast recovery
> speed is adjustable between 3 down to 1.
>
> With a setting of 3, shifts the v6 into super fast
> recovery. A setting of 2 speeds up even faster for
> areas of poor mineralization or areas extreamly
> trashy or laced with iron. Shifting down to 1
> kicks the v6 into lighting fast recovery this is
> for extreamly trashy areas coupled with extream
> mineralization.
>
> Those that own the new v6, most will have hard
> time understanding ore mode and may only see the
> v6 as a deep seeking machine. Takes time to learn
> ore mode, and those that eventually learn ore mode
> will have in their hands one of the best detectors
> they ever owned It's deadly fast and that's an
> under statement.
>
> Very honored to be one of the first Blisstool v6
> users, hidden serect eventually others will
> experience the same.
>
> Paul

Paul a couple questions concerning the V6.

Tell me the 2 top coil picks ---one for heavy iron and one for good depth---not necessarily the deepest depth.

And how does the V6 handle larger iron from a tonal aspect------how does it compare to say Deus??????
October 26, 2015 04:42AM
Never mind,lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2015 05:04AM by supertraq.