Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dollar Coins Everywhere or Why I Like Ike!

Posted by Brierfield 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Dollar Coins Everywhere or Why I Like Ike!
August 09, 2015 02:19AM
This happened a week ago (and already posted to another board), but I thought it also might be of some interest to this board.

A friend called me late Friday (a week ago) and asked if I could come to a lot where a teardown had occurred. It was known that a previous owner had buried money on the site, and dirt was already being hauled in for a new construction project at the site. A dozer had already begun working the site, so most of the coins were found near the surface, or on the surface. He told me that earlier today he had already found ~50-60 Eisenhower dollar coins along with some Kennedy half-dollars at the site. I got there and began detecting with him, and when we did our first count there were 213 total coins (30-40 coins had already been removed before the first picture). Most of these were Eisenhower dollars, along with ~30 Kennedy halves (some 1964 dates, but most late sixties dates, and a few clad.) The first picture represents our first coin count at around 6:30 PM. Some of the coins are still in partial wrappers.

[i1031.photobucket.com]

As it was nearing dark, we decided to detect a little longer. I found 10 more Eisenhower dollars and a silver Washington quarter, but my friend discovered a buried cache of at least ~125 more coins, mostly Eisenhower dollars along with several more Kennedy half-dollars. Again, some of these were still in partial wrappers as you can see in the second picture. We're pretty sure that a number of additional coins were buried by the several loads of dirt delivered today. It was quite hot outside, but we had a great time finding the coins, and will probably never find such a haul again. We returned to the site at 6:30 AM the next morning, and I found 6 more Ikes. My friend ran his meteorite detecting device over the site to see if there were any large, deeper caches, but we found no evidence of any. We believe we found most of the coins that were still recoverable. We found 300+ coins altogether, most of which were Eisenhower dollars. We still don't understand why someone would bury so many clad dollar coins, but it was great fun. Hope you enjoy, and HH!

[i1031.photobucket.com]

(This is the first time I've tried to insert pictures from photobucket on this site. Hope they are imbedded.)
Re: Dollar Coins Everywhere or Why I Like Ike!
August 09, 2015 02:54AM
Holy crap...

That's a hunt you'll never forget!

Congrats! (And the pics embedded just fine.)

smiling smiley
mike
August 09, 2015 03:41AM
That is so cool...it's raining coins

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2015 04:00PM by Lawrenzo.
August 09, 2015 04:40AM
I think someone had planted those eggs the night before and was planning on bring their kids that morning for an Easter egg hunt. Probably showed up as soon as you left. One year we died Easter eggs with my young daughter. I went around the back yard hiding them the afternoon before Easter. The plan was to have my daughter hunt for them the following morning (Easter). I didn't worry about leaving them out over night as we didn't plan on eating any of them. The next morning we go out and my daughter starts looking for them. She can't find a single egg. My wife and I are looking at each other trying to figure out what happened to them all. Then it hits me. My golden retriever found them and ate every last one of them. We had some really colorful dog turds in the yard the next couple of days.

Brierfield, Looks like you had a GREAT hunt!
August 09, 2015 04:44AM
removed by op

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2015 04:30PM by ncwayne.
August 09, 2015 12:23PM
Brierfield,

How interesting. I speculate the coins were hidden around 1976. I very clearly remember my Grandfather STILL having very little trust in banks, safe-deposit-boxes, , , and paper money ................... after having lived through some previous rough economic/political times. He was in his late 60's........ and could have done the exact same thing!
August 09, 2015 12:52PM
Nice going, you ruined for the guys on the Diggers TV show, that was their planned hunt............
LOve to find a hoard like that.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
August 09, 2015 12:54PM
What's interesting is...the rumor was true. Glad you found the cache.
August 09, 2015 01:49PM
Awesome hunt man! That had to be a blast. And Lowboy...haha man, cant believe you did that!!!
August 09, 2015 03:20PM
Thanks, everybody. It was a real blast of a hunt, even if not a huge amount of value involved!

NASA Tom,

Yeah, what is it I remember about 1976??...Oh, yeah...Jimmy Carter elected that year!

I suppose that would have been a good reason to bury your money out in the yard! winking smiley
August 09, 2015 03:43PM
Great story and finds....
August 09, 2015 03:55PM
Well that was a long time ago maybe over 12 years ago I guess someone would have found them and did the same thing we did. But your right thinking back it had to be greed that got the best of me

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 09, 2015 04:57PM
No matter what you do Before you die--After it's all over.
August 09, 2015 06:22PM
Awesome!
August 09, 2015 08:06PM
Congrats, that looks like it was a lot of fun smileys with beer

There's a place where I grew up that used to have a house on the lot, and the lady that lived there would find a gold coin every now and then when she was working in her garden. They've since built an office on part of the lot, but the rest of it's vacant. I detected it once, and didn't find squat. I don't believe any other people know of the gold coins, as the friend that told me personally knew the lady and it was many years ago. After seeing your hunt, I guess I need to get my butt back there and give it another try!
August 11, 2015 03:49AM
A dream hunt for sure, great job!
August 12, 2015 11:11AM
Again, thanks for all the nice comments on our hunt.

Just wanted to add that about 2 nights before the hunt, I dreamed that I was digging coins that were stacked as if still in wrappers (admit it, I'm sure most of you have similar dreams from time to time!). I remembered the dream as we were digging the coins two days later, but this time I was living the dream in real time!

It truly was the hunt of a lifetime, and I'll be forever spoiled going forward!