Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Here's a video I did of the Gold Bug S.E. to show

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Here's a video I did of the Gold Bug S.E. to show
September 08, 2010 01:23AM
the way the Disc work's..The manual can be sort of lacking unless you can see it work....

I think it's very beneficial to hear what you are not looking for as much as what you are looking for...with the tone break we are now able to slow down it the thicker machine gun type iron that in a 1 tone mode would go unnoticed ...Remember Rust is a Must to produce!!!!!

maybe it can helps some one who's wondering about the disc mode..

Keith

[www.youtube.com]
Re: Here's a video I did of the Gold Bug S.E. to show
September 08, 2010 02:30AM
Keith,
Very, VERY good. Exceptionally perceptive. High quality video & audio. Very good camera angle(s). Good demo of the tone-split(s).......and Disc utilization.

I like to go one step further.....and utilize a 3-dimentional plane (X-Y and especially Z). Targets all at exactly the same depth are catagorized as a 2-dimentional plane.....(X and Y only.......and no Z). To bury a eagle button at 7".....then bury a nail at only 4".......and maybe not quite exactly over top of the button.........but/rather ...slightly off to one side by maybe an inch........yet, still somewhat over the button. I have yet to see a detector pass this test. (It's against physics principles).
September 08, 2010 03:37AM
Very good video but I always hunt with the lowest disc I can maybe 1-6 on the LTDF75 I have dug nails only to find relics hiding with mono tone.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2010 03:26PM by Lawrenzo.
Thank's Tom and yes
September 08, 2010 03:52AM
a dimensional test bed with non-ferrous object's and ferrous object's mixed in a jambalya would be great and more of a "real world " scenario ...but it would have to be so one could see the that there really is ferrous and non-ferrous mixed....Maybe a cubical plexi-glass tank filled with resin and objects placed in at different levels . Once solidified it would remain as a constant test tool for different machines with no variation???

Thanks for the comment's..... It is harder than it looks to try and get across what you are trying to convey in a demonstration ....

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2010 03:52AM by Keith Southern.
Thanks Lawrenzo and that's exactly the point
September 08, 2010 04:06AM
I was trying to get across with the demo.....You can do it with the 1-tone mode but the 2-tone mode is so much more informative...I like knowing how much Iron(Nail's) when using low disc I am dealing with that would be suppressed in a 1 tone mode...

to truly get surgical on a site you need to know what's under the coil at all times...An MXT has all way's had this feature but it's not in the same league in separation,sensitivity ,recovery speed and affinity for low conductor's like the First Texas machine's ...

Sorry to talk about the tone break a lot but it's a feature that I have wanted all along on the other First Texas machine's...And it's finally here in a awesome streamlined nor frill's or Gimmick's metal detector....

Thanks

Keith Southern
Re: Thanks Lawrenzo and that's exactly the point
September 08, 2010 12:30PM
I don't think ENOUGH focus is placed on the tone-break concept.......and have no problems with you giving it exceptional mention. You will see me 'drive home' the same concept .... numerous times......in one post. This is for justifiable reasonings.

For 'visual'...........sometimes I use a small cardboard box and drive nails in it at different depths .... for that 3D visual effect. A potted/poured plastic 3D 'cube' with frozen-in-place targets would be the best/most ideal scenario...........and would present maximum testing 'consistency'.
September 08, 2010 01:07PM
I'm curious as to what substance one would use in the construction of a permanent 3D testing cube. I'm guessing a 12" cube would be sufficient but that's quite a volume of material...1 cubic foot of material to be exact. :-) Is there a relatively inexpensive transparent/semi transparent material somebody could suggest which would work? This is an excellent idea and would be a great teaching/learning aid. Ballistics gel perhaps? Something without dangerous fumes that simply mixes with water would be ideal.
Great idea! I'm gonna try and get a hold of some used ballistic gel
September 08, 2010 01:09PM
to try Keith. It would be easy to repositiion stuff and re-use since it is basically a gel. One of the body armor manufacturers is located a few miles from me and I'd bet they have the stuff.

Tom
September 08, 2010 03:40PM
From what I think I remember about Tom and tones is he uses mono or four tone depending on the disc. Zero disc he will use 4 tone and 1-6 mono though his soil is different from ours I can't seem to remember if he has tested the LTD in soil that is more like some of us hunt.
So is that why those that hunt in two tone are not using the LTD the way it should be used or does different soils sometimes need different tones? Or iron VS trash different tones. I like two tones but use mono for the most part. Don't use four tone as much becasue the LTD can chatter so much that it is hard to hunt all day like that. It seems some of the new Fisher and Tech units coming out are a bit different but not a giant step forward like the LTD was. I know the money they spend is not what a car company or computer spends to bring a better product. This is a small hobby and I think a lot of baby boomers are the ones that spend the money on new product hoping to go deeper and unmask targets that are bing walked over. True you can almost never out hunt an area but with the way the world is changing it is harder to find new places to hunt.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
"Shoot." they use clay when testing their vests... Oh well!!
September 08, 2010 06:04PM
maybe someone else can come up with some.

Tom
Hey Jackpine that stink's....Here's an idea ....not sure of the cost
September 08, 2010 06:36PM
but maybe it can be found at craft stores?? Polyester resin......just need a mold maybe a 8"x8" cube or so and place object in as you build it up...

Maybe could use a narrower cube like just 3 inches wide but 6-7 inches long then stand on end when done for testing? no need for the plexi glass just pour then pop out and it's good to go ...

A constant non variable..that will last lifetime....

here's a video showing the attributes of poly resin...

[www.youtube.com]

could make for some good winter project's??

Keith
Re: Hey Jackpine that stink's....Here's an idea ....not sure of the cost
September 08, 2010 09:21PM
Yes, there are some acrylic plastics that work well....and are fairly inexpensive. One thing that is hardly taken into consideration; electrostatic buildup on the surface of the base material (the resin/plastic). It can slightly hinder/alter performance.

Over a decade ago, I had a few (self created) acrylic plastic cubes with ferrous metals and 1 non-ferrous metal target visibly "suspended" in the plastic. I used small-test filament fishing line to suspend the targets at exacting X-Y-Z three-dimentional coordinate axis points in the rectangular cube BEFORE pouring the acrylic into the mold. A Chief design engineer confiscated my complex-target test-standard tools (acrylic cubes) from me.....as he badly needed them. I have yet to create this (these) tools again.............and need to.

......Coil approach "Angle-of-Attack" was (then) visibly critical whilst sweeping coil over the cube(s). Just a 1-Deg change in coil approach angle over the 'complex-target' cube.... can make a day-or-night (go/no-go) delta/differential. A AWESOME tool that is VISIBLE to the human eye...........can be a TRUE eye-opener!

Tom
Re: Hey Jackpine that stink's....Here's an idea ....not sure of the cost
September 08, 2010 09:40PM
Forgot to mention:

YES..............using monotone and a Disc of '6' .... is a cheap way of tone-break/split-tone on the F75; ,,,,, but/yet/understanding that... you can only hear one side of the split (a single tone will be heard when a target is ABOVE the Disc setting). I would like to hear all of the metal objects that are in the ground...that are below the Disc setting; but can not achieve this....any time Disc is employed. Any time a target (or....especially a composite of targets) are under the coil....that are ABOVE the Disc setting................................the detector will report a good and solid tone............even if the composite of all the targets is STILL within the 'iron' range (above '6'....but below '15'). If monotone is selected........this will not matter. You will still receive/hear a good & solid tone.....and will MOST PROBABLY still dig the target. IF IF IF you are in a multi-tone option with a Disc of '6'........you will receive/hear the low 'iron' tone on a composite of targets that ID's below '15'.....but still above the Disc '6' setting. Chances are............you will NOT dig these audibly solid sounding (iron tone) targets..........as most folks do not dig the low iron tones. Utilizing Disc '6' and monotone...........and you are more likely to 'investigate' the audibly solid hits....regardless of the VDI.........EVEN IF it is in the 'iron' range.

Yes, dirt mineralization can (somewhat) alter these settings/performance.............making it a necessity for you to find out what YOUR local conditions/settings will need to be. Your dirt will dictate. I do know that Chicago dirt (somewhat mineralized.......requiring Grnd Bal.....GB was '45') did not alter the "Disc 6" (and monotone) requirement.

Tom
Very well done Keith!!
September 09, 2010 04:59PM
Great video, shows what the manual can not convey.