Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer & coil covers

Posted by mrb1268 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer & coil covers
September 05, 2015 03:08PM
From largest coil available down to the "OOR 5" ....do you feel the covers are necessary or just unwelcome weight?.....do you like them or dislike them and why?.....all opinions welcome.
Re: Racer & coil covers
September 05, 2015 03:31PM
I broke the ear on my stock coil trying to get the cover off. If you hunt in rocks coil covers can save you money on coil wear. Especially if you want to sell the detector later. Condition of coil and screen are always asked. Coil covers trap things between them and the coil. I don't hunt rocks looking for gold so I don't use them. I just finished spraying my new Excal coil with bed liner. It wears off, but I would rather reapply then deal with the falsing off black sand trapped by the cover. Everyone has their own opinion. Some guys drag the coil. Some guys slam the coil into anything in their way.
September 05, 2015 06:01PM
They're not really [ extra weight ]
They're essential really.
Funny thing but my small Racer coil cover is cracked on the edge but still hangs on tightly!!

Was swingin' my Go Find 60 yesterday on some very loose shingle underneath some overhanging cliffs (real small about 10ft high)
and banged the coil off a rock and the sound was just awful... Like really cheap plastic about
to break! Thankfully it didn't!!
Few years back found a real old coin there that I felt had fallen from erosion.
No such luck yesterday but it did signal a few targets.
September 07, 2015 11:43AM
I don't like them but I'm afraid not to use them. Occasionally I whack something pretty good that I don't see, like a rock or snag, and I want the protection the cover affords. I don't normally snub the ground with the coil; I don't like the extra effort it takes to swing against the resistance, but I do misjudge the distance or sometimes "drop" the coil a bit and it hits whatever I'm swinging over. Again, I feel the covers offer protection in those situations. I do know covers are trouble at the beach, trapping sand/wet sand and causing falsing, so I don't use them at the beach. Yes, they can be a pain to get on and off. I kinda wish I wasn't so anal about scratches and mars on the bottom of the coil, 'cause then I wouldn't have to worry about putting covers on and taking them off.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
September 07, 2015 11:57AM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I broke the ear on my stock coil trying to get the
> cover off. If you hunt in rocks coil covers can
> save you money on coil wear. Especially if you
> want to sell the detector later. Condition of coil
> and screen are always asked. Coil covers trap
> things between them and the coil. I don't hunt
> rocks looking for gold so I don't use them. I just
> finished spraying my new Excal coil with bed
> liner. It wears off, but I would rather reapply
> then deal with the falsing off black sand trapped
> by the cover. Everyone has their own opinion. Some
> guys drag the coil. Some guys slam the coil into
> anything in their way.

LoL

I use bed liner on some of my coils too!

Just gotta be sure to use the NON metallic type!
September 07, 2015 01:23PM
Guys, If you have trouble taking coil covers off try this. I take the lower rod with the coil on it out of the detector and run hot water with a drop of dish soap in it " NOT BOILING " just like you are going to wash dishes. Let the coil set in the water for 1 to 2 min. then you can pull the cover off with your hand. I have done this for years and sometime two times a week. Have never broke a coil cover or coil. Try it if it works for you send me a at-a-boy, or money is ok to. Good luck with it. flintstone