Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Yard Sale Classics

Posted by Auriemma 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Yard Sale Classics
September 14, 2015 05:02PM
I spotted a yard sale ad that said metal detector. So I wake up early on my speed in day and drive out. After I get there and fend off the other yard sale Hawks (a very aggressive bunch... Like territorial seagulls), I see the MD... Or should I say 2. Two Fishers, 1265x, 1280x, and headsets. They were all tangled together by the coil and headphone cables. After a little haggling. I load them in the car and head home. After a serious cleaning and untaping (I think someone had stock in 3M), I load in batteries and tada... They both work.

The 1265x box is pretty banged up. The corner is chipped, bottom mount is cracked, missing a nut and washer on the toggle, and the shaft is stained by old scotch tape, but everything works. Air testing depth with the solid 8" coil, at Max pulled out, and backed off so no chatter is like 8-9". Fisher doesn't have a replacement housing. There is a guy in East TX that does.

The 1280x is in excellent condition. Original fiberglass shaft, oversized padded grip, and SS arm cup. The only issue I found was a broken strain relief of the headphone side. Otherwise it has no issues. For a 5 lb. unit, it balances well. I can only think even better underwater. This one has the smaller 8" coil, but still air tests to 8-9". Respectable for a small coil. The Bilsom headphones are not bad, fairly comfortable and very light.

Still not sure if I'm going to hang on to them, or fix and sell them.

One question... I find it odd that both coils are attached with a brass bolt. Is this normal?
Keep in mind, they are small diameter, #10-32 (3/16" dia) I think

Re: Yard Sale Classics
September 14, 2015 05:13PM
Nice!
September 14, 2015 06:12PM
They are old models and metal bolts are probably original equipment...Don't know if they are brass or whatever....1280 X was the top freshwater unit of its day and although heavy on land is not in water...1265 also was a deep seeker and favorite of relic hunters...Don't know what you paid for them but imagine you could easily make some bucks on them if you desired...Before you dunk the 1280X check the rubbers as may be in bad shape from storage. All I ever see at those sales are beat up radio shack units...
PS: imagine parts for these units are tough to find so that is also a thought....
September 14, 2015 07:18PM
Hello Auriemma I don't know about your 1280-X but I can tell you that I have a 1265 that I
bought new in 1985 and they came with those brass coil bolts from the factory. Won't hurt a thing as far as your signal goes.
Very good detectors. I also have a late model 1266 and it came with the larger nylon coil bolt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2015 07:25PM by jerryinin.
September 14, 2015 09:06PM
Nice deal. The coil on the 1280 looks different. Probably the right one though.

Wish I could find something like that. smiling smiley
September 14, 2015 10:34PM
I had one of the 1280x and I liked it! It's tones where great. I could tell if it was a quarter nickle ect.. if you want to part with it let me know?
September 14, 2015 10:34PM
Thanks all.

Didn't expect to find two, only one was listed in the ad. I get there and the buyer says, It's a duel unit. I'm like... OK. Basically paid for just one.

The gasket on the 1280x looks good, and is still available. The battery area is clean and dry. It's an older unit according to Fisher, due to the white, 3 slot 8" coil.

As for the the 1265x, I've located the parts I need to bring it back to a "nice" condition... and just found an 11" coil for it.

Will do Greg.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2015 10:38PM by Auriemma.
September 15, 2015 01:44AM
Vintage is cool

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 15, 2015 02:38AM
Very nice great score!

Congrats with getting these vintage models, WTG!

Paul
September 15, 2015 09:03AM
I've used both models in the past and they still would be regarded as excellent machines.
Don't know about those brass bolts?
My 1st move would be to whip those out and replace with plastic (if you can find some that fit)
I believe some years ago I found some substitute coil bolts at "Ace Hardware?"
Are they still around??? And....making it even more bizarre..... I think the bolts were for a toilet seat!!!
For many years I puzzled over why "Tesoro" sent out those brass nuts and steel bolts?
Delighted to see my latest "Laser Trident ll" with RSD coil was supplied with all plastic accoutrements ( hah hah big word)
September 15, 2015 10:34AM
Some machines did come with metal bolts. Since they move with the coil you may not notice them. They may however cause some coil deadness. Even now you can use SS bolts and you wont notice them...... but i wouldnt recommend them.
September 15, 2015 11:50AM
Thanks...

I called Fisher about it and they said that is how they came.
The main issue with those bolts is that they are #10-32 (3/16" dia.).
Brass you can tighten up, nylon not so much.
My only resort is to drill open the coils and shaft to 1/4" dia.
I'm not sure I want to do that.

--- Joe ---
Minelab: E-trac | Sov XS | Sov XS2-Pro
September 15, 2015 08:42PM
I drilled out a Vaquero coil
No problem slow procedure just take it easy
Then no problem for nylon bolts
September 16, 2015 09:58PM
I didn't think the 1280 X had Tone I.D.?
September 17, 2015 11:28PM
It doesn't have tone ID as far as I can tell.

That being said, the 11" coil arrived today. Wow, what a difference than the 8". Way more sensitive.

--- Joe ---
Minelab: E-trac | Sov XS | Sov XS2-Pro
September 18, 2015 12:56AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't think the 1280 X had Tone I.D.?

They don't

they have 1 tone only