Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First time using an electroscope, Too spooky appeared to work.

Posted by Old California 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First time using an electroscope, Too spooky appeared to work.
September 23, 2015 04:39AM
This early evening, headed for an old site. On vacation this week and we're helping my nephew take care of his son for a week, Was a treat to get out boy was it ever nephew's son wore me out.

Well, With a few hours to kill and always wanted to test out an electroscope had picked up on a vintage detector package deal several years ago. So off I went by myself with the electroscope and gear. To be honest, Never really tried it until today. One of Kellyco's (Lectra Search X-60-A) models from the late eighties early nineties. Guess it would be a mid range model, The manual covers three different models (X-50A, X-60-A, X-90-A).

Read the important parts of the manual after arriving at the 1850 settlement, Ok simple enough memorized the settings and walked to the inside of a walnut orchard. Flipped on the unit and set the sensitivity on Medium for general searching, Sure enough the unit slowly rotates left pointing to an area I've always had a strong feeling would have larger relics based from the finds I've pulled around the area. This is an area never detected well the main area that is, Massive foliage covers this area sort of a miniature jungle. Ok, walked a distance and dang it moves in the same direction pointing to that area rich with foliage, Several more times walk a ways and each time it points to that same area. This is too creepy, I know by rights these electroscope's are scams but this early evenings results are terrifying. The odds of it pointing to the same area especially the area I feel may be the area the caches are buried.

Ok, Let me back up a bit here and share a little history on the site, It is known as the settlement were Indians massacred the settlers, The first settlers between Los Angles and Stockton that's a good 350-400 mile stretch. I've shared this here before but never mentioned about the possibility of several buried caches. Before the Indians attacked, Several of the men buried supplies, tools and other important objects. Coins? Musket? Who knows but it's is known several caches were buried based from the three survivors.

Did take a Two Box and a Periscope probe to help locate the deeper larger objects, And sure enough the two box sounded off as I neared the outer edge of foliage at several different locations. Tried digging down but dang is it hard pan, Too hard to dig and we've already pulled most of the surface finds from here near the outer skirts of the foliage. And just recently, a cool complete powder flask was recovered from this same area last month and near the surface to boot, Believe me I feel this may be the site to give up an enormous amount of cool finds in the future. The walnut orchard is easy digging gives up the smaller finds, Lot's of seated in the past, One Bust 1835 1/2 dime and an 1793 French coin and gobs of flat & military buttons all now at our local museum. Recently, pulled an 1860 seated dime and just last weekend nabbed an 1853 seated dime and part of a spur, maybe a Hotel room key number 8? and dateless Indian penny. Finds are slim pickings now, But once in a while a nice coin or relic will surface from the walnut orchard. By the way, Lost the 1860S seated dime recently, Always loosing coins just can't get away from this so with the recent 1853 seated dime find last weekend was a treat.

Don't get out that much but still find time to visit the forum, Thought I'd share with you still plugging away and my first experience with an electroscope. Yeah, It may have been luck the electroscope kept pointing to the area rich with foliage. Non the less was a cool feeling it kept pointing in that direction smiling smiley

Paul (Ca)

using a tree as a reference point

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2015 04:47AM by Old California.
Re: First time using an electroscope, Too spooky appeared to work.
September 23, 2015 06:08AM
That's spooky, creepy and terrifying for sure.

Looking at Kellyco's website under Professional metal detectors, they apparently still sell LRLs.

That Bionic 01 Long Range Gold looks awfully sweet for only $12,995.00. That's $2,600.00 off retail.
September 23, 2015 09:56AM
That top picture is neat.....the way the trees are cut just enough to see the horizon. Let us know what's in the brush area (where the ES pointed to)... when you get to it.
September 23, 2015 10:56AM
I have thought of getting me one a bunch of times,but they are always out of my price range.They have said that they are a scam,they could be or not,weird things do happen in life.I built me one out of two metal clothes hangers,was playing with them and my wife looked at me and told me that they were Devil Rods. I am not a christian person,but not trying no chances and i havent picked them up since , but if i find one in my price range t hinking of giving it a try.By the way that was some really nice finds.They have a few videos on youtube about dowsing
September 23, 2015 11:19AM
Not trying to be a negative SOB, as I hope it finds you all the gold, silver & relics in the world, however...

I am firmly convinced those things are pure frauds. I'd write the experience off as a "luck of the draw" type scenario. If anything...

You are probably VERY good at doing research, and have a hot location there, so, the apparatus could point in almost any direction, and you'd probably find great stuff. Again, more of a testament to your research skills, than the unit actually performing.

I hunt a lot of parks & wooded sites. There are logically targets spread out all over these places. I can use dowsing rods, electroscopes, etc. And they would all probably point someplace. Whereever it pointed, there's a good chance of there being something buried (law of odds/averages). As an anology...

Imagine if I bought a unit that could detect live, human bodies through a wall. And I pointed the thing at a sold out baseball stadium. No matter WHERE it settles on, there's likely to be people in that spot.

Joe
September 23, 2015 12:35PM
Thanks everyone and as Joe mentioned I too think it was luck of the draw, Even though my first experience with one keeps pointing to the same area can't bring myself to believe LRL's work. Plus, it just occurred to me why wasn't the LRL pointing to my car surely that was the biggest piece if metal out there.

One thing I failed to mention, the manual stated Medium setting was for general searching, Low setting was for smaller objects coins and such. When I was about to leave, placed it in Low sensitive setting it pointed to the orchard. Placed it back to medium setting it pointed back to the jungle area, haven't tried High sensitive setting believe that is for larger metals maybe then it will point to the car?

Like I was saying, Even though my first results show positive still can't bring myself to believe in these plastic boxes with the ball bearing grip.

skinner, unless you find a LRL for pennies on the dollar save your money. Better yet you're welcome to borrow mine in the future.

I'll give the LRL another try, try different sensitivity settings. If anything it'll be fun especially if cool relics start to surface, deep down I know these are scams but won't hurt to add a little excitement to spice up the hunt.smiling smiley

Thanks again forum friends,
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2015 01:03PM by Old California.
September 23, 2015 12:58PM
Marcomo, wasn't aware Kellyco still sells LRL. That's scary and here I feel guilty if I was sell mine, can't bring myself to placing it for sale to recoup what little I got into it.

An old timer sold me a Compass detector with the rare DD Scanner series coil, for a little extra it included the LRL so I nabbed the package deal instead of asking to break up the package.

Might as well keep it, and use it for fun purposes.

Paul
September 23, 2015 01:01PM
Ozzie, you bet have plans to dig in this area in the late fall or early spring. Will post updates in the future.

HH, Paul
September 23, 2015 01:09PM
Joe,

I agree surely luck of the draw results, but fun none the less spicing up the hunt. Still, I'm now drawn to it with giving it more field testing in the future.

If anything, will be an adventure.

HH, Paul
September 23, 2015 01:10PM
oooh man,
Don't let Carl Moreland find this thread............LOL

http://www.longrangelocators.com/forums/

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
September 23, 2015 01:38PM
My buddy has one of those...first time ..I ever saw one?...pretty trippy!
September 23, 2015 01:40PM
Hello Sven,

Until the other day, Was under the impression Carl strongly supported LRL devices before reading his comments on the subject recently on this forum. Like me, he collects vintage metal detectors the only difference between us he collects LRL devices I don't and only have one LRL.

I'm glad to hear he doesn't support LFL, that's a relief to know. Still, got to admit my first LRL experience was terrifying due to the positive results. Yet, it has sparked my interest to conduct more field testing in the future.

HH, Paul
September 23, 2015 01:48PM
Hello Mascard1,

Just recently thought about you hunting at a park near my area, you had detected the same park a year or two back remember you posting a few cool finds from there. You took the long drive from your area, I nabbed a few wheaties the other day from there but that was it.

Take care,
Paul
September 23, 2015 05:50PM
Hi . Paul, I have a friend that uses the rods a lot, he has found a few things for people. He said you need to have the power to control your mind, and think of what you are looking for. If you look for gold you must think gold to make it work, think of a gold coin, get it in your mind and don,t lose that though. His rods will cross over what he thinks about. I am 64 years old and have seen for my self old timers find water with a willow branch. If you have a silver or gold coin, have your wife put it in a can with a lid and have her hide it out side where she thinks a person would hide there money. DON,T CHEAT see if you can find it with the LRL. be sure you think what is hideing in the can. Let us know if you can find it. Good Luck flintstone
September 23, 2015 07:06PM
Paul, I gotta' ask how did you loose the 1860 s dime?
September 23, 2015 07:07PM
Yes, I collect LRLs (got 30 or more, don't recall now tongue sticking out smiley) but only for the purpose of exposing the fraud behind them. I've got the same LectraSearch Paul shows. If you open it up it's full of oddball wiring that doesn't do anything. When you remove the extraneous wiring, all you're left with is a dowsing rod. The LectraSearch was manufactured by Kellyco.
September 23, 2015 07:10PM
BTW, the "dowsing response" (whether with LRLs or just plain ol' dowsing rods) can be very eerie and very convincing. But it's all in the head, not real.
September 23, 2015 09:14PM
Hello flintstone, that's funny you mentioned being in that state of mind. Thinking of what you want to find, that's what I did only was thinking of relics larger stuff like wagon wheels, musket rifles stuff like that.

I'll share future experiences, hopefully positive ones whatever the results I'll be honest.

Hello Harold, yeah I'm always loosing old coins, seated seem to be the most type. A friend of mine wanted to see the 1860S seated dime, showed her the dime and lost it somewhere from that timeframe to my home. Had it in a sandwich baggie, its gone forever but that's ok making the find was my joy. Those are moments to cherish, everlasting eched forever in my minds eye.

Carl, See you're more of a collector than I am smiling smiley you got me on the LRL for sure, now on vintage detectors that's going to be close smiling smiley

Thanks everyone !
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2015 09:15PM by Old California.
September 23, 2015 11:46PM
Hilarious. Made my day. Thanks for posting! grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley
September 24, 2015 03:19AM
And if you buy that $13,000 LRL from Kellyco, they'll throw in that swell accessories package. It's a $536.35 value!
September 24, 2015 01:03PM
Thia one has a video that shows how it works.

Mole Prospector ? Same type of " detector "

[www.youtube.com]

What happens to the people who buy them when they complain.
September 24, 2015 02:31PM
That Mole video fits the LRL demonstration template perfectly. I could use macaroni to find something I buried. All any of these guys have to do is take Carl's test and claim his prize. Plus they would have a lot of sales to an eager public for such a device that actually works.
September 25, 2015 10:06PM
Paul,

I think you got a first hand demonstration of the "ideomotor" effect.

Any married man should forget his mistakes - there's no point in two people remembering the same thing...
September 26, 2015 03:59PM
Kicking off the Halloween season early Paul??

Just kidding...

But I do feel sorry for the people who BOUGHT into the LRL..

By the way does yours accept Loads?? you Know silver ,,,Gold,,,Paper Money...they were tubes you slid inside for the different metal's or Paper you were after.. that way you could Fine tune it!!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
September 27, 2015 02:30AM
Rudy,

That did enter my mind, Unconsciously move it to the direction of an area with relics.

I don't think so at least don't believe I did, was pure luck and may show different results next time. Was out there again today, didn't try the LRL instead was using a Blisstool.

Don't believe in LRL, just happened my first encounter appeared to be positive and auctally was fun something different smiling smiley

HH, Paul
September 27, 2015 02:46AM
Keith,

Don't think this particular LRL has a chamber to hold different types of metals or certain objects, from what I can tell based from the instructions sensitivity settings promote certain size metals.

Low sensitivity promotes smaller coin size objects, Medium sensitivity promotes General type searching guess that would be small, medium to some larger pieces.... High sensitivity is for larger metals....but of course we know this is silly, but its neat to once in a while stretch the imagination and have little fun in the process smiling smiley

HH, Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2015 02:47AM by Old California.
September 27, 2015 06:31AM
The antenna is pointed with its tip directly at the object, which would be (in my opinion) the worst position to receive a signal (or whatever happens there...). This only works in cartoons and Star Trek. It's like drawing a flying bullet with the case. smiling smiley