Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Who uses and likes the 5x10 inch Racer coil.

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Who uses and likes the 5x10 inch Racer coil.
October 01, 2015 09:03PM
I owned one for two days. To me, it was a cross between the 5 inch coil and the 11 inch coil. So I sold it. Would the regular users of this coil on the Racer tell me what you like about it and why you would pick it over the 11 inch coil (for depth) or the 5 inch coil (for separating abilities). I might buy another. I already have the 11 inch coil (and I cannot afford to lose any depth with it) and I also have the 5 inch coil (superb separation). But I am willing to set aside any preconceived notions and listen to experience. Thank you. Kevin
Re: Who uses and likes the 5x10 inch Racer coil.
October 01, 2015 09:34PM
I use it as a SCOUT coil Kevin...

The strong point for me on the Racer is the OOR5 so that's the workhorse setup for me..

The 5x10 balances better gets CLOSE to the depth of the Stock coil...and is more manuvarable....

I keep it on One Racer solely and SCOUT with it..great walking coil for Woods and or stubble and vegetation..

Works better in SEVERE mineral than the Stock coil....you may not notice it but find a spot that is highly mineralized and compare stock to 5x10 and i think youll see some better more accurate audio and visual reports...

The 5x10 is tighter than the Stock so its footprint is seeing less and analyzing less of the soil...

But you answered your own question really "To me, it was a cross between the 5 inch coil and the 11 inch coil."

Just another tool Kevin...keep one on hand and I'll assure you you'll find a use for it.. maybe more so than your thinking you will ...

Search Coils are a very important part of a detectors success rate in the field...

Dont Underestimate the 5x10...a high gain unit likes to run a tight DD inherently and 5x10 is the industry standard size it so seems this day and age for good reason..!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 09:58PM by Keith Southern.
October 01, 2015 09:52PM
Kevin B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I owned one for two days.

What are we supposed to tell you, Kevin, after you've used the coil yourself so extensively? <2 whole days><g>

>To me, it was a cross
> between the 5 inch coil and the 11 inch coil.

Precisely! That's why I like it. Swings like the stock coil as far as covering ground, but with nearly the separation of the OOR5.
Oh, and quite a bit lighter and more comfortable to swing than the stock coil. This is the coil the Racer was built for.

> Would the regular users of this coil
> on the Racer tell me what you like about it and
> why you would pick it over the 11 inch coil (for
> depth) or the 5 inch coil (for separating
> abilities).

See, Kevin, this is where you go off the rails.
I don't pick it over the 11 for depth or over the 5 for separating ability.
I pick it over the 5 for depth and over the 11 for separating ability.
See the difference?

< I already have
> the 11 inch coil (and I cannot afford to lose any
> depth with it)

What about the good targets that are not so deep that the 5x10 won't find them, but are close enough to other targets that the 11 inch coil won't find them either?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
October 02, 2015 12:42AM
Hey Wayne I kinda figure when you're finding stuff other machines just flat out cannot see with both coils there's just not much more to ask for except another turkish machine that'll do a little better. We're kinda in uncharted territory if ya ask me. I'm not that keen on a 5X10 but it works really really well.
October 02, 2015 01:28AM
If I'm heading to the beach to hunt the dry sand, the 11" is my coil of choice, just as the 5" OOR is my go to ghost town coil. When I take the Racer to a newer park or school I'll take the 5"x10". It's lighter than the 11", covers more ground than the 5" but still can pull the goodies out of the modern trash.
October 02, 2015 02:08AM
The closed design and better balance while installed on Racer vs stock coil are the 2 things that jump out at me. But I'm no pro.
October 02, 2015 02:21AM
I have two of the 5x10 and hunt almost all the time with it till this fall I hit the snake pits with loads of iron the snakes sleep till spring and I pull out the 5"

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 05, 2015 03:04AM
I appreciate the feedback guys. I should have kept mine. But since I had the 5 inch and 11 inch, I couldn't understand the need for an 'in-between. I think I'll get me another real soon. Here in West TN we need some rain. The ground is like concrete and makes digging an intact plug almost impossible (for me, anyway). Even deep in the woods....under the leaves......the soil is powdery dry. (just musing out-loud). Thanks again for the replies and happy detecting and history retrieval.
October 05, 2015 05:56AM
Kevin -- You mean you all aint had any of this rain? It set in here on Tuesday last week and Sunday was the only day it hasn't rained since then.

I like the 5x10 coil...if for nothing else, the closed design. Some like open coils but seems like I prefer the closed coils. My 8.5x11 coil is still new in the box...never even pulled it out. The only ones I have put on are the 5x10 and OOR coil.
October 05, 2015 10:15PM
Does that racer promiscuously pleasure you when detecting? If it does I'll get me one of them. For sure. Is it that good?
October 06, 2015 03:35PM
I never really use the 11" the 5x10 is tighter and better for trash and is as deep. I can hunt some dirty areas and not worry about missing targets or the coil seeing too many targets. The 5" is again perfect for heavy iron where you machine sounds like a machine gun. But them again if I have a place I hunt and have found nice old relics I'm going to bring the 5" in to make sure that something wasn't masked and the 5x10 missed it. I dig more iffy sounds and find some nice relics that waysmoking smiley

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 06, 2015 07:09PM
I do not have a Racer but I do have a Fors CoRe with the 5.5X10 coil and I am beginning to like it very much. Besides the closed coil design it goes pretty deep...but the beauty of the one I have is that it is very sensitive to small non ferrous items. I've used it at some sandy volleyball courts and it sounds off on items so small that my pinpointer has a time seeing it. To me it would make a great jewelry finder and it covers a lot more ground than my OOR 5" coil. But...like I said...I only have the Fors CoRe...and I think the Racer and Fors CoRe would have similar results.

Didn't mean to hijack a Racer thread...just wanted to give some info that may be useful.

Charles