Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Home made detector..... Could you make a detector that cuts the mustard with modern machines.... VLF only !!

Posted by Ziggy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
There must be some shed dwellers that have dabbled in this dark magic ??

Be cool to hear what you've made.
I once made a LRL out of a Ivory dish soap bottle, auto radio antenna, a bicycle handle grip and a bunch of electrical components that I stuffed into the bottle. Worked as well as any other Long Range Locator (in other words not at all).
Tom Slick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I once made a LRL out of a Ivory dish soap bottle,
> auto radio antenna, a bicycle handle grip and a
> bunch of electrical components that I stuffed into
> the bottle. Worked as well as any other Long Range
> Locator (in other words not at all).

You should really consider getting a patent on that. winking smiley
Tom Slick Wrote:
> I once made a LRL out of a Ivory dish soap bottle,
> auto radio antenna, a bicycle handle grip and a
> bunch of electrical components that I stuffed into
> the bottle. Worked as well as any other Long Range
> Locator (in other words not at all).

No wonder it didn't work. You forgot the 99 cent calculator.

Ziggy have you tried out geotech1.com?
TabWhisperer Wrote:
> Tom Slick Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I once made a LRL out of a Ivory dish soap
> bottle,
> > auto radio antenna, a bicycle handle grip and a
> > bunch of electrical components that I stuffed
> into
> > the bottle. Worked as well as any other Long
> Range
> > Locator (in other words not at all).
>
> No wonder it didn't work. You forgot the 99 cent
> calculator.
>
> Ziggy have you tried out geotech1.com?

No..... Not yet, just thought there may of been some Albert Einsteins out there that don't work for a manufacture but has the abilities to make something good..... What is the most challenging part of making a detector ?
"What is the most challenging part of making a detector"

Probably a combination of finding 1000's of hours of time, and 10's of thousands of dollars.
Time consumed and money spent would make it cost ineffective even if one had the abilities..Always rmember my brother in the 40's making a radio using of all things a cats whisker and yes it worked so perhaps its doable......I think he got the idea from a popular mechanics magazine...
Considering the smart guys at Geotech have spent a decade or more considering, debating, and arguing over induction theory, and endless coil and circuit designs - yet, what has been commercially produced? Anything? That might tell you something.
I am sure one could make one that worked some, but nowhere the efficiency and flexibility of even the basest of market detectors. This is almost like making a go cart to compete with a car on a much smaller scale of course.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
Johnnyanglo Wrote:
> Considering the smart guys at Geotech have spent a
> decade or more considering, debating, and arguing
> over induction theory, and endless coil and
> circuit designs - yet, what has been commercially
> produced? Anything? That might tell you something.

I don't think the guys over there are too concerned about making a commerical venture. It's more about building their own detectors by reverse engineering past commerical (mostly analog) models into projects that many can get invloved in who can also to build their own detectors...... A lot of the guys on Geotech I don't think actually go out detecting, they are more into building, experimenting...... Those that do hunt, have a sense of pride with their own creation when they start finding goodies. Geotech is the spark that gets many into the hobby of building. Trouble is once you build your first successful detector, you can't stop. I know, I joined the groups a number of years ago. PI's are my bag. Just found a gold ring this afternoon with my latest build.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
It would be more likely some one would take a current model and take it to another level. Why reenvent the wheel....... start with the wheel and improve its design.

Dew
"It would be more likely some one would take a current model and take it to another level."
The problem is almost all current models rely heavily on microprocessors for their functionality. And tinkering with software/firmware is pretty much impossible. The hardware could be fiddled with, for sure, but there's only a limited amount of things you can do, and the hardware is closely tied into the operation of the micro. You could add bits and pieces : haptic vibration-mode? LCD display illumination? Racer-style LED spotlighting the coil? Cordless headphones? A different battery system? Sure. And you could make your own coil, but most popular machines have a decent range available anyway. Henrik Rasmusson made a small coil for his Deus, as one isn't commercially available, the project is over on the Geotech1 Forum.
On Geotech1, there's a thread loosely about multi-freq machine design, few are actually interested in the possibilities of homebrewing, it's just too difficult. Even the ML patent expiry doesn't seem to enthuse anyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2015 01:34PM by Pimento.
Exactly what I would answer.....

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
I can say that Sven builds a terrific pulse machine that is compact and waterproof. The Mirage PI. Found a gold cross and a gold ring the first two hunts with this machine. Finally got out for a third hunt with it at the beach two days ago. Picked up two silver rings and a beautiful silver pendant and it still had the broken silver chain attached. This machine is very well built and I plan on using it for a long time to come. Keep improving on this model Sven. I am impressed with your quality of build. Check out his sight treasurelinx.com for a look at it. I will send you pictures of my latest finds Sven. Keep moving forward with this design, it is the easiest swinging detector in the water that I have used...Stuart