Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Headphones with a limiter switch...

Posted by beastdig 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Headphones with a limiter switch...
October 10, 2015 02:03AM
Does it help? I currently have a pair of Jolly Rogers that have served me well for a number of years, but I was thinking of getting a pair of Grey Ghost Ultimates or Killer Bee Wasps to try out the limiter switch option. I'm hoping to be able to turn the volume up to hear the fainter, deeper hits on my Tek G2 while not getting blasted by shallower hits. Will it be worth spending another $100+?
Re: Headphones with a limiter switch...
October 10, 2015 02:16AM
I don't really care for the limiter switch. I just turn up the volume to where I can stand hearing a coin right under the coil. From my tests on buried stuff out in the yard, I can still hear the quiet signals just fine. But I do have fairly good hearing. If my hearing was slightly lacking it may be really handy. And it may also be practical for preserving your hearing for the long run.

Really the biggest gripe I have about the limiter circuit is that you don't know when the limiter is kicking in or when you have a real deep target. This is important on the single tone analog machines like Tesoros. I'd rather hear the loud signals loud at a comfortable level, and train my ear to hear the softies. Obviously with a machine with a screen it's not an issue.

So in my opinion, if you have bad hearing, or use a machine with a screen (especially with a signal strength bar) the limiter may make a lot of sense. But if you have half decent hearing and use a Tesoro-like machine, you may be better off without it.

Just buy you a set of good phones that have a switch. You will have the best of both worlds, and you won't be any worse off if you never use it. Sell your current phones to an aspiring new detectorist to help with your purchase and everyone is happy smileys with beer
October 10, 2015 09:10PM
I like the limiter switch on my SunRay Pro Golds. Keeps me from getting my ears blasted when going over large shallow targets.
October 10, 2015 10:24PM
Ha! Its been so long I had forgotten what that second switch was for! Thus, I didn't find it very helpful, so much so I never even tried it.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
October 11, 2015 12:20AM
My Killer B Wasp Headphones work great with my Tesoro detectors and works well with my Teknetics G2, Omega and Fisher F75LTD2. I really like the limiter switch a lot.

tabman
October 11, 2015 05:27AM
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to look for a good price on a set of Grey Ghost Ultimates. I like the single knob for volume and it sounds like the limiter switch isn't a gimmick.
October 11, 2015 01:00PM
I haven't put a limiter in any of the headphones that I have built, and why I haven't is because honestly I do not know what is used or have any schematics/directions. I am pretty sure that you can put a couple diodes back to back to do the job but not am 100% about that either. If I can dig up any info I would be glad to add a limiter circuit to any of you's phones that might not want to do it yourself.
October 11, 2015 01:07PM
BeastDig -- If you haven't owned a pair of Grey Ghost headphones in the past, you might want to try a pair on before you buy. Me personally...I hate how they fit. They are big and bulky and despite that, they still hurt my ears after just a little bit of use. The single volume knob is not as great as you might think either, especially if you have even the slightest hearing loss in one ear or the other. You will constantly be battling the volume being just right in one ear and too low or loud in the other. I have pretty decent hearing compared to most my age, so says the ENT guy but my hearing is better in my right ear, and I could tell a big difference with just a single volume headphone. The best fitting and sounding headphones I have had on my ears are the SunRay Pro Golds. They are just perfect for my head and ears, and I can adjust the volume to be balanced for both ears. With that said...I don't use the limiter on them.
October 11, 2015 01:44PM
X2 on those Pro Golds. Chrisp tones, well separated, great volume, keeps out noise well, and fits well. Ive had them for years now. They also have dual volume control which allow you to run your machine full volume for weak signals, yet reduce the volume at the phones to suit your hearing. If you look at most of the technical spec aint a lot of difference in those...... but i can tell you once you plug verious kinds in there is in the way targets sounds. I like Gary's headphones, but some of the water ones we use each sounds a little different and arent as loud as others.

Dew
October 11, 2015 07:41PM
Pro Golds and Killer B Wasp headphones are identical, except for the switches and decals. Pro Golds have non-locking switches with rubber boots and Killer B Wasp headphones have locking switches without the rubber boots. They're both made by the same person. Both are great headphones.

It's best to have a volume control for each headphone cup rather than a single control for both.

tabman
October 11, 2015 08:23PM
October 14, 2015 03:40PM
Don't know anyting about headphones with a built in limiter but remember years ago the device you connected to your headphones had limited(no pun intended) success and the company folded. If I remember correctly all depended on the detector you were using relative good or bad performance...
October 15, 2015 11:46AM
Tab man..... you talking about Ralphs shop or Woo Li in china hahaha. Volume control on both sides is great and allows you to leave the volume full blast on the machine. Limiter........ X doesnt think i can hear any way........ little does she know.
October 18, 2015 10:28PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tab man..... you talking about Ralphs shop or Woo
> Li in china hahaha. Volume control on both sides
> is great and allows you to leave the volume full
> blast on the machine. Limiter........ X doesnt
> think i can hear any way........ little does she
> know.

Both headphones are made in the USA. I found that I can hear just as well or maybe just a little better using one ear as I can using two ears when I'm detecting, so I turn the left volume control all the way down and just listen with my right ear. There's no need to wearout an ear if it's not needed. smiling smiley

tabman