Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coin shooter recommendations

Posted by aguerrero56 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Coin shooter recommendations
December 14, 2015 05:12AM
Alot of options out there and don't know which one to choose. My At-pro and DTVG are great but feel I could use a better park machine. The At-pro lacks depth and the DTVG has minimal discrimination, making both unfavorable for my park hunting conditions. What do you guys recommend?
Re: Coin shooter recommendations
December 14, 2015 05:26AM
Well for deep turf coins where digging is limited--Minelab Etrac or CTX gets the nod.
The older minelabs like explorer 2, se pro are worthy also

Some good ones can be had used at reasonable prices.

Now the bad news--Minelab detectors are on the heavy side and most have a balance problem, CTX excluded (balance wise).

A White's V3i will work if you set up for the site correctly--- it too is heavy and has more settings/menus than Carter has peanuts.

And then there is the Xp Deus-- a wireless bugger, extremely light weight--- biggest downfall is Target info at depth

A Fisher F75dst unit is worthy of mention--- ergonomically very nice overall, a good gold jewelry hunter, DST units very stable emi wise--- is overall the cheaper of the lot I mentioned here.

Really to get better,than at pro-- you will need to spend some additional loot.

I'm sure others will maybe comment on some other detectors.

Cheers and good luck whatever you decide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 05:39AM by tnsharpshooter.
December 14, 2015 07:06AM
Look into the Teknetics Omega 8000 if you are on a budget. Great machine for coins, and pretty darn good for relics too. It has all the right features (tones, notch, pushbutton GB with the abiltiy to override) without being very hard to use. The ID is very accurate at reasonable depths too. I had one and sold it to buy a Fors Core, and miss it dearly for coinshooting. Light, fast, easy to use, fairly deep, and an accurate target ID. Good machines.
December 14, 2015 05:30PM
My 2c worth. Get you a Fisher F75 DST. For an all around(except water) detector, you can not go wrong with the F75.
December 14, 2015 05:42PM
Teknetics gamma 6000 or omega 8000 are perfect coin shooter.
The freq.is about perfect for silver and hits gold rings very good.
Depth is not an issue either and tid #'s are very accurate.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
December 16, 2015 06:13PM
Thanks for the recommendations. I like the idea of an Omega but it's cost more than the T2 classic. Does Omega offer any advantages over T2 classic?
December 17, 2015 06:13AM
another really good coin shooter is white's mx-5,especially with the
eclipse 6" coil on it! .outstanding in trashy places.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
December 17, 2015 06:04PM
I still have quite a bit to learn with the omega 8000 as I've only used it for half a year. With that said I would strongly recommend one as I've found it to be an excellent machine and my wife does very well with her whites m6 which she's had for 3yrs now. They are both good detectors and quite often we check each others targets and neither of us has had our detector miss something the other sniffed out. Couple things to point out m6 will call a target an inch deeper than the omega sometimes and when dug omega was correct on depth I like the omegas 3 tone better than the m6 s 7 tones. I enjoy the look and feel of the whites and how familiar it is to me because I've used whites for the last 20 years, but I'd rather swing the omega all day due to its superb balance and weight. And lastly I'm getting to where not having a pp trigger like a whites is not really an issue. My 2 cents worth on two really good priced right detectors.
December 17, 2015 06:31PM
If you are serious about coin shooting, then you need to take a look at the Fisher CZ series.

Minelabs Explorer/Etrac/CTX are good but Minelabs are heavy and expensive and the CZ quicksilvers work just as well and go just as deep in all but the very hottest of mineralization.

I have used all the explorer series along with the CZ-5, CZ-70 Pro and the CZ-3D and the CZ Quicksilvers can hang with all the minelabs.

The CZ-3D is tuned to focus in on old coins. Tom has some good articles on both the CZ-3D and the discontinued CZ-70 Pro you should read.

Good luck.
HH
Mike
December 17, 2015 07:26PM
I have been doing the same review, looking for another dedicated old coin hunter that would compliment my F75 and soon to be modified Lobo St.

My F75 is great but there are places where the EMI shuts it down.
My Lobo ST is more stable in EMI and with a good ground balance in Disc gets great depth, but my ground minerals limit what sites will allow a modified ground balance useful for coin hunting.

So when looking at what compliments those two, my past experience leads me back to the CZ quicksilvers. The only thing I'm doing now is trying to decide what tone id arrangment I want, the CZ3D tone arrangement or the CZ70 tone arrangment. I'd be mounting them under the armrest so I'll be hunting by tones only and the tones probably matter more to me than most.

Still good luck with what ever you decide.

HH
Mike
December 17, 2015 09:43PM
Etrac/Explorer or CZ-3D are the Top Dogs in my neck of the woods!
December 17, 2015 09:46PM
I've never run a CZ, so I can't comment personally on those, but I wholeheartedly second the Minelab Explorers/E-Trac/CTX as being top-of-the-line turf hunters...

Steve
December 18, 2015 02:52AM
Etrac or SEPro would be my choice. The cz is deep but the absolute worst balanced machine I've owned and love deep iron. You can't go wrong with FBS technology for sniffing out deep silver and copper coins. The CTX is better balanced but I am finding I like the SEPro the best out of all the FBS machines I've owned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 02:55AM by Fletch88.
December 18, 2015 06:24AM
aguerrero56 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the recommendations. I like the idea of
> an Omega but it's cost more than the T2 classic.
> Does Omega offer any advantages over T2 classic?
No get the t2. Top off the line machine still.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
December 18, 2015 09:44AM
Etrac
June 07, 2016 02:22PM
A lot of solid recommendations in favor of the Omega 8000.

Great news, now you can get them brand new for $375 - direct from Teknetics.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
June 07, 2016 04:43PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> A lot of solid recommendations in favor of the
> Omega 8000.
>
> Great news, now you can get them brand new for
> $375 - direct from Teknetics.

Not what Rubi told me when I called her giving her your name as rep. (which you said to do).-----She told me they don't have any Omega 8000's.----Hope you get this mess straightened out.---------Del
June 07, 2016 05:28PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> lytle78 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A lot of solid recommendations in favor of the
> > Omega 8000.
> >
> > Great news, now you can get them brand new for
> > $375 - direct from Teknetics.
>
>
> Not what Rubi told me when I called her giving her
> your name as rep. (which you said to do).-----She
> told me they don't have any Omega 8000's.----Hope
> you get this mess straightened out.---------Del

Last update I had was only a few left, proxy'd through remain distro supply. That update was from January 15th, 2016. They are not longer manufactured. At least this is what official dealer information is.
June 07, 2016 06:28PM
D&P-OR

Sorry. I just PM'd you and sent yout post to Marketing at First Texas.

Latest update. D&P just PM'd me that he got his order placed OK.

Rubi at FT told him that they had 50 left - better hurry!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2016 07:03PM by lytle78.
June 08, 2016 08:22AM
The Minelab X-Terra's with the 7.5Khz mid freq coils should be considered as well. I'm not saying you will get 10-11" dimes on a regular basis (what detector does?) but they are reliably deep overall on coins. Except in extremely rare cases 9-10" on a dime is the best you can expect with todays technology.

With the Omega's, 9" on a dime is pushing it in decent ground and after hunting quite a few old parks never found many dimes much beyond 9" with a proper running CZ-5. The iron loving thing with CZ's is overblown, run zero disc, check the PP location and you know what you got by the tones.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2016 08:28AM by Jackpine.
June 09, 2016 09:02AM
Hi I've recently bought a Teknetics G2finding it great on coins also good on salt beach.
June 09, 2016 10:56PM
Try an old analog Teknetics Mark 1 and when you hear the tones, you will love it. With a little tweaking and modifying you can get to depths of the F75 and T2. It will really amaze you and you can find one at a very reasonable price. Hope this helps and good luck on your search...
Frank