Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Skipped by a Barber...went straight to a seated!

Posted by diggwr27 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Skipped by a Barber...went straight to a seated!
December 17, 2015 06:41PM
Well, I am known for skipping steps in my career, I haven't dug anything 18k yet but I have dug up some 22k for instance.
This time I skipped right by finding a Barber, something I have been searching for hard for at least two years, and went right to an 1875 seated.
Most of my difficult soil all around here and especially in a park I hunt most of the time has a huge amount of iron infused into the dirt and iron targets all around just about everywhere but I have made great strides in reaching the 6-8" level and I am digging good targets found at those depths fairly easily.
Here 5" is usually the limit for any recognizable target ID's that make sense with any VLF machine, I knew if I could crack that code and get a bit deeper there might be a ton passed over throughout the years and considering what I am finding and where I am finding them I belive I am right about this.
Now I am trying to move to a new phase in my learning curve, trying to decipher a few more of the really iffy signals I come across...the ones that might have great targets that could be totally masked by all these iron problems and heavy mineralization.
This target was one of those found in a very busy part of a park that has been scoured for decades since detectors were invented.
It was almost totally obscured...iron targets surrounding it within inches on 3 sides and some kind of iron directly under it because I was getting iron grunts everywhere with every slight move of the coil.
Even though I usually hunt with 1,1F or 2F I happened to be in 4H on the F70 with the sniper mounted and I kept getting a few sweet sounding high tones with some passes.
I get that same behavior when swinging over regular rusted iron all the time in this dirt and it is hard to explain but on this one there was something about that tone that made me dig.
I can't dig it all in this soil, there is just too much iron, trash and garbage and I don't have the patience, time or energy to do that anymore but I will take the time to dig the higher percentage signals if I think they might be worth it.
I spent lots of time digging tons of iron the past few months learning how to pick out the actual good targets from the falsing ones and now I don't get fooled much anymore...on the still difficult but easier ones.
Now I will concentrate on figuring out the most difficult, most masked, most hidden targets as I continue to learn.
A seated dime is not the rarest thing we might find in the south but it is close, a Barber would be much more likely.
We just don't have the history going back as far as some areas of the country like the northeast or at least here in the city we don't.
Finding this thing in this city park that goes back to the mid 20's and so well hunted shocked me, finding it surrounded by all that iron and mineralized soil doubly so...but I am thrilled.
Much more to learn but this is just the beginning.
All bets are off now, if I can find this thing hidden for so long and so well almost anything could be hiding, even, dare I say it, gold coins.
We will see.

I also found this beautiful sterling St. Christopher's pendant and that would have made my day but it was way overshadowed by that sweet silver dime on this hunt.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2015 06:45PM by diggwr27.
Re: Skipped by a Barber...went straight to a seated!
December 17, 2015 09:07PM
VERY nice. Because of the conditions in which you found it. THAT'S what makes it priceless. To go where many have gone before............ succeed in it........... AND enjoy it! (The challenge.)
December 17, 2015 11:08PM
Congrats on the seated, one of my favorite coins to dig thumbs down

HH,
Brian
December 17, 2015 11:19PM
Nice one Diggwr! The Barbers will come...once you really tune the process to the sites you'll be having way more fun than should be allowed by law! I have had a couple of "a-ha" moments that changed everything,a couple with a VLF and a couple more with an FBS. Here's to continued success..smileys with beer
December 18, 2015 12:28PM
Thanks all...and especially you, Tom.
I love a challenge, when great things pop up after learning new skills that is one of the sweetest experiences you can have in this hobby.
December 18, 2015 03:38PM
Super find and no one ever said this was an easy hobby but the learning can be challenging...look like your on your way. As far as beat to death areas things move to unmask targets ..coins and such move therefore hard to say an area is hunted out..especially a large area.....
December 18, 2015 04:56PM
Very Nice dig's

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla