Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F-75 the PF mode (vs the DE mode too!!)

Posted by HumblePie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F-75 the PF mode (vs the DE mode too!!)
April 27, 2008 05:29PM
Hi NASA Tom,

Just purchased the F-75, it will arrive in a few days. Was reading the manual again, and have a question about the PF mode. Is this mode a high gain mode similar to the JE mode, or not? Under what conditions would you use the PF mode as compared to the DE mode? Appreciate any suggestions Tom...thanks..Jim.
Re: F-75 the PF mode (vs the DE mode too!!)
April 27, 2008 06:36PM
Its not High gain like JE. I seem to like PF when in in the woods because of the iregular gound conditions. DE mode when im in a somewhat flat "grass park" area. DE mode will work for what ever conditions you want. Tom can break down what PF does better than i can.
April 28, 2008 01:15AM
Somewhere in a fairly recent thread below...... I answered this. HELP! BUT...... in a nutshell:

Both PF & DE mode have nearly identical equiv ~ gain. I have yet to see any hair-splitting difference between the two. HOWEVER....... The JE mode is COMPLETELY different from any other mode. I NEVER recommend this mode to beginners...... and I nearly NEVER use it myself. It is TOO 'twitchy' in nearly every normal inland hunting place that most of us hunt. IF IF IF you are out in the middle of the country..... and no powerlines are in sight..... AND iron targets are barely present.....or not at all....... you may get away with using this mode. If you are looking for tiny studded/gold earrings...... or BB's from an air-rifle...(or are prospecting)....then this mode is for you. It does NOT go deeper on coins/buttons/bullets/rings in this mode.

PF mode is for mineralized 'lumpy' ground and does not affect overall depth capabilities; rather, it slows down the microprocessor slightly so as to allow the unit to 'adjust out' changing mineral signal strength variances. If you do NOT use this mode in 'lumpy' bad ground....... you will receive mild audio target responses as the coil is swept CLOSELY over a lump of mineralized ground... then the coil proceeds beyond the lump...somewhat over a void.

DE mode is a very fast 'microprocessor-reset' response between adjacent targets ..... so as to enhance adjacent target seperation in trashy areas.... with fairly 'level' ground.

Tom
April 28, 2008 01:54AM
Thankyou for that explanation Tom and EZ. As I understand the DE mode, a disc setting below 5 or above 19 puts it into a higher gain. Tom, does that also apply to the PF mode? Thanks..Jim.
April 28, 2008 11:51AM
Humble, yes the gain applys to all the modes in Disc.
April 28, 2008 01:17PM
I have read several hunters really had good success with the PF mode in the rough terain plough Fields..
April 28, 2008 09:33PM
April 28th..Hi NASA Tom, EZ, and Liquid...thanks for more great information, everyone is so helpful. Thanks James for bringing this unique forum under Tom's expertise to my attention. Jim.
April 29, 2008 09:17PM
You're welcome! We are here to help.... and to learn.

Tom