Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Never saw a hobby...where...

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Never saw a hobby...where...
December 31, 2015 03:21PM
Fellows change their units like some of us change shorts.In high school bought a 300 savage rifle and Remington shotgun and used them for 40 years for hunting...
I should talk as over the last 25 years must have owned and used over a hundred units...myself...go figger....
Re: Never saw a hobby...where...
December 31, 2015 03:40PM
I have a few hobbies that are like that. Sometimes learning the "ins and outs" of the tools you use to get something done, is as fun as the hobby itself.

For example, I mainly hunt with airguns. There are spring piston powered guns, and precharged high pressure air powered ones. And each make and model can shoot a lot differently. So you gotta try em all! LOL

And fly fishing is about the same.... and so is traditional archery.... I buy and trade and sell gear for those hobbies quite regularly.

But strangely enough, metal detecting has been the one hobby where I can be content with my equipment for the most part. I tried a few machines and have settled on two that will do well for all my hunting. I have a Nokta Fors Core and a couple coils, and a Tesoro Bandido II uMax.

Really the only machines I'd like to try would be a T2 Classic and a Vaquero. And either one may replace either of my others above to keep me at my 2 detector limit. .....But I aint getting rid of my Core or my Bandido to try em!
December 31, 2015 03:42PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I should talk as over the last 25 years must have
> owned and used over a hundred units...myself...go
> figger....

seems that a large part of the 'hobby' (for some) is studying/comparing etc the design/abilibies of detectors...
this probably has increased due to lack of silver/oldies nowadays, for example...

I'm sticking with my G2+ (its all I have) but am intriqued by the Deus 4.0 and Impact...but really doubt
that I'll bite due to finances. But the draw is certainly there...and its pretty strong...

for 2016 it will be about finding a few new spots....and avidly reading about the new detectors that I won't be buying...
December 31, 2015 03:47PM
I'm pretty sure I've owned 100+ detectors in the past 40 years but still have the same rifle and Shotgun I bought back then. Strange. Maybe I should buy more guns?
December 31, 2015 04:30PM
Look at it this way the units are not super expensive and we all want an edge on finding relics and coins and they are making better detectors. Look at the Deus and the racer and the impact well worth the investment. And more detectors coming from europe. The US is lacking behind now and of course we should see them all trying to catch up. I get a new one about every three years or so and it's fun to get a new unit and learn from what your knowledge base is from the past and apply it to the new machine...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 31, 2015 04:34PM
There ain't anything big game related in North America that my 7mm Mag wont take down. For small game I have a .22 rifle. For flying things and home protection, there is the ole shotgun. Therefore there is no need for anything else.

In detecting...one or two or even three machines still can't do it all. We keep looking for "the one" that can gain an edge and do things just a little better.

It could be like archery where the bow companies come out with new flagship models every year and the shooters just HAVE to buy them....at $1,000-$1,500 a pop...and with a 50% depreciation in just 5 or 6 months.
December 31, 2015 05:05PM
One can draw many analogies between detecting and the sport/hobby/passion/obsession/fixation of fishing.
One of the most appropriate is that most fishing lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.
I have been caught and released numerous times. smiling smiley
December 31, 2015 06:30PM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I've owned 100+ detectors in the
> past 40 years but still have the same rifle and
> Shotgun I bought back then. Strange. Maybe I
> should buy more guns?

Tom-LOL! Why yes,of course you should...
December 31, 2015 06:35PM
On what shoveler said, I have more fishing poles than anyone man needs but they all have a need for a different type of fishing and technique. Just like the units I have...each have a place that it shines over the others for the type of hunting I do. We all understand this but try explaining this to the better half.

Trying new units after they have been out a while and the lure of "what can it do better" pulls a lot of us in. Just part of the hobby I guess
December 31, 2015 09:25PM
A lot of detectors out there, no doubt.

And I feel now after I've gotten some experience of sorts under my belt.

I feel this way.

I think folks are actually wasting their money by trying to go on the cheap.

What do I mean by this

I see folks buying a detector they say is really from a $$'aspect, all they can afford. To only later after a arelatively short period indeed buy another usually more expensive

They infact go the stepping stone route

And in the end--- if they would have ponied up and bought a high performance unit right from the start....money would have been saved

And metal detector manufacturers love this

So my advice is just like buying or building a house, garage built. Buy/ build more than you think you need--- don't skimp

Now as far as detectors go

I read here a lot and other places too.

I think folks need to take a step back sometimes and consider what they are reading, seeing, and what's not being said about the different brands/ models of detectors

I mean a coin hunter for example don't need a detector that's capable of picking up birdshot or even BB sized nonferrous targets in and out of iron

I mean really just how small a nonferrous target does say a relic hunter really want to dig??

To each their own when it comes to what they want to spend their loot on,

But so far I think I can say the following

The Xp Deus for a one detector setup---- answers the call to many detecting situations ( dry land)

And if a person will get a hold of one of the minelabs to partner with the.Deus--- you have a viable team of detectors with which to work

So folks I guess can call me a Deus bandwagon and Minelab bandwagon rider.

But right now this is the way I see it.

This post not meant to bash any other detector manufacturers.

Happy New Year
December 31, 2015 09:58PM
Quote:"And in the end--- if they would have ponied up and bought a high performance unit right from the start....money would have been saved"
One problem with this is people may 'bite off more than they can chew', I have seen new detectorists buy Tek T2's they hate the sparkiness; E-Trac's, they are too complicated; Deus' have lots of things to fiddle with, plus the sound takes some learning to get the best out of it. These machines end up being re-sold, maybe putting people off the hobby entirely.
It's reasonable to work up to a high-end machine, it's the swapping from one good machine to another to another that is probably avoidable.
Here in the U.K , the high price of machines tends to reduce the temptation to switch and swap excessively.

Quote:"really, just how small a non-ferrous target does a relic hunter really want to dig??"
Speaking from an international viewpoint, we have relics that are small / low-conductivity, as well as coins in that category. Hence the popularity of machines operating at 12kHz - 19kHz.
December 31, 2015 10:04PM
I have tried my share the last 16 years, But have settled on my main three which are;

CZ-3D
ETRAC
Nautilus IIBa

The only 3 Detectors I need.
December 31, 2015 10:11PM
100 detectors or 100 wives. Both go through a lot of batteries.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
January 02, 2016 11:35AM
khouse Wrote:
> 100 detectors or 100 wives. Both go through a lot
> of batteries.

I was wrong. You are genuinely terrible...grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley
January 04, 2016 02:34AM
Golf equipment is similar:

1" deeper = 5 yards longer

Better separation = straighter drives

... and we eagerly await new models every Spring. Thing is, Taylor Made and Callaway always deliver.
January 04, 2016 05:09AM
go-rebels Wrote:
> Golf equipment is similar:
>
> 1" deeper = 5 yards longer
>
> Better separation = straighter drives
>
> ... and we eagerly await new models every Spring.
> Thing is, Taylor Made and Callaway always deliver.

Reminds me of a story.

I used to be heavily into the game of darts.
Went to a tournament in Biloxi Ms.
There were some heavy hitters there-- with sponsorship and all wearing their hats and shirts.
There was this one English bloke-- just came over to play- a regular guy of sorts.

Well he had this set of darts-- brass mind you, about as big as a hotdog.
The gent could play darts-- very good imdeed.

After a part,of,the tournament was over one of my buds ask him, "Why do you throw those big fat darts made of brass, when all the other pros throw the slimmer darts made of tungsten?"
The gent now was 68 years old and was a crack shot with his arrows.
His response was, " My Grandmother gave me these darts when I was 6 years old, and I have been throwing them ever since".

No wonder this gent liked them.
And folks throwing scores of 180 with 3 fat darts ain't easy--- take it from me.
It's not easy even with slim darts.
January 04, 2016 07:01AM
"You trade Tools so often"... Not true for me as much as most of you. I own fourteen machines now. Excessive yes. But I was single for a long time and beach coin and relic hung. I love detecting of all types. Never sold a detector, only traded to see what was available that might be better than what I have or bought another. Excessive? Maybe, but love my results. Beach hunting is the best because I have no problem selling items. Relics I never sell. They are special. Is there machines that I would like to try? Yes. Many. Just can not afford to try them all. That is why I frequent this forum, to learn all that I can for an informed decision as to what is worth buying and the strengths and weaknesses of all machines out there. You guys are the best when it comes to telling the strengths an weaknesses of everything that we can get our hands on as far as detectorists go and your stile of hunting goes. I give many thanks to you for all of the help that you give. Nice to find such great indepth detail of what each detector is capable of and also it's weaknesses. Thanks.
Guns are the same as detectors. You can never have too many. Each has a caliber or gauge rating that tells you the exact usage. Never sold but one and hated that I sold it. When I grew up, a gun was the difference between eating and going hungry. We were very poor money wise, but great times as far as family...stuart
January 04, 2016 08:36AM
search and recovery Wrote:
> Guns are the same as detectors. You can never
> have too many....stuart

Stuart,
You're a man after my own heart.
(Although my wife is starting to suspect that there may be such a thing as too many...)

smiling smiley
mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2016 08:38AM by Mike in CO.
January 04, 2016 08:54AM
Savage mod 99 in .300 savage?
Sweet northwoods deer rifle,classic.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.