Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Does electrolysis de-grade iron relics?

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Does electrolysis de-grade iron relics?
January 01, 2016 11:04PM
Does cleaning the rust off of, say, a bullet-mold, via electrolysis take away from it's worth? Thank you.....kevin
Re: Does electrolysis de-grade iron relics?
January 01, 2016 11:07PM
I know it's used for means of preservation. Lookup beau ouimette on youtube
January 01, 2016 11:22PM
Okay, thanks fsdigital.
January 01, 2016 11:49PM
Kevin you need to stabilize the relic...Leaving it in dug state will harm the relic..Electrolysis is superb method for stabilizing if done right..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 04, 2016 02:38AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kevin you need to stabilize the relic...
>
> Keith

Same goes for a copper coin showing raised red or green corrosion.
January 04, 2016 06:05AM
I know I have had great success rate on iron objects to using electrolysis, but had varied success on coins. Can anyone explain the technical right versus wrong as to how best to handle all types of coins (silver, copper, bronze, brass, and gold if crusted in barnacles from a saltwater beach).
January 07, 2016 03:10PM
Search and Recovery raises a very good question. Therefore, I am taking this post back to the top in hopes that someone will answer the question on "coin cleaning/ electrolysis how-to". I'd like to know myself. I have been digging some deep Indian heads with crusted backs/fronts.....as the case may be and would REALLY appreciate a few words on coin cleaning via electrolysis. Thank you! Kevin
January 07, 2016 04:33PM
Get it out of the ground is the first way to save it. Then after you treat it you can rub Vaseline on the iron my stuff looks great and I use a grinder machine with a soft wire disk and it cleans the flakes off

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 07, 2016 06:39PM
I have tried olive oil on old coins, but with very little improvement. Then again these coins were hundreds of years old.
January 09, 2016 02:50PM
Yes, I have tried the olive oil, grape seed oil et al, and they only turn a crusty coin into a shiny crusty coin. But I realize that the grape seed oil is supposed to take a while to 'soften' the crust. I saw somewhere about electrolysis on coins and using a 120 volt to 9 volt transformer/adapter like ya charge cell phones with. I'll research further and post what I find. If I find anything practical.
January 09, 2016 03:55PM
Depends on the condition and length of time of procedure.....
January 09, 2016 04:58PM
Ive had some great results on silver coins believe it or not. Experimented with a few black mercs that were burned, nothing worked but electroylisis. Obviously anything valuable I'd beware, but if your careful not drag the clamp across the face and scratch it my understanding is you really cant booger up silver.

Ive done it on some copper coins with mixed results. Frank lopergolo (sp?) Aka detect america has worked extensibly with archelogists at universities, and helps them stabilize allbkinds of artifacts. If youre intrigued by electroylisis that guy is a wealth of knowledge. He gets specific on things like current/time ratios that hes learned through years of trial and error.