Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Whites MX SPORT

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Whites MX SPORT
January 24, 2016 01:38AM
I saw a post that said the MX Sport in all metal mode will have an iron audio. If that's true it would be in direct competition with the AT Gold especially if it's about the same price. I was planning on getting an AT Gold. Now I have to wait and see.
January 24, 2016 09:02AM
Old California
Really like the 10" DD center mount coil, may lack depth as compared with larger coils but this 10" DD center mount may be the all purpose coil for both water and most inland including areas with iron.
For hunting in a lot of water sites, the new spoked 10" just might be an okay choice. Depth isn't really that big a factor because you need a better, tighter EMF to nab coins and even smaller-size gold jewelry.

For some inland hunting it might be okay, such as a wide-open, sparse-target park. For hunting in areas with much iron? I don't think so. The MX Sport will really have to prove itself in those conditions, and it will really call for the 6½" Concentric coil, unless White's makes a newer coil in the 5" to 6" diameter size. You bring an MX Sport w/stock 10" DD coil to one of my favorite Utah, Nevada or even some Oregon or Wyoming ghost towns and I am certain it will be close to useless due to the dense abundance of nails and other iron debris.

Old California
Overall, a nice detector.
I think it is a nice looking detector, and for White's sake I really hope they have done some engineering to enhance the performance in tough iron challenged sites to improve over the MX5/MXT Pro models

Old California
Those that go with 8 or 20 tone, feel using this many tones the iron and foil audio will be too close, that's from SST experience. Hopefully Whites addressed this issue.
I agree. I didn't care for the 7-Tone audio of the M6 and MXT Pro, or the 8-Tone of the MX5. I was very satisfied with the 2-Tone audio of the MX5 and I can see where a good 4-Tone audio might be appreciated by some and prove versatile afield. That will depend on how it was designed and where the break-points are for the four tone segments.

search and recovery
Great service and have been a happy customer of theirs since I started detecting with a Spectrum XLT in the 1980's.]
I have been very satisfied with White's service, at the Sweet Home factory, since my first new model with a glitch. That was in May of 1971 when a Coinmaster had a cold solder spot. Since I started using White's in the summer of '68, I haven't really had that many problems with detectors. Some but not that many, however I have had more issues with search coil failures.

The XLT was introduced about 1994, if I recall.

search and recovery
I like the look of the MX Sport for land and freshwater use. The price is in line to be very competitive in it's market.]
I like the looks, but will have to do a wait-and-see to know how if actually balances and feels with the stock coil and a 6½" coil mounted for hunting where I mainly spend time.

search and recovery
Waiting to see a few reviews from real world users, ]
Yep, real world, in-the-field reviews by Forum posters who are avid detectorists and can do some fair comparisons, not just publication product reviewers.

search and recovery
This machine is not multi frequency so it is not going to be a saltwater machine.]
All the talk about "multi-frequency" gets comical at times. I used to do some beach hunting when I lived closer to the coast and had better mobility, and I used some single-frequency detectors and never had a problem when hunting with friends using various multi-frequency models. Matter of fact, several of them always thought their multi-model was supposed to be better, but I could usually match or better their performance on side-by-side comparison on located and un-dug targets.

search and recovery
I am thinking I will like this machine because of really good iron separation and it will be rainproof.]
It hasn't been released and evaluated by enough avid users to know yet just how well the "iron separation" really is. I do hope it is improved over the MXT Pro/MX5. I am in the middle of evaluating several detectors and search coil options, especially for dealing with iron, and I will be hitting the road in just a couple of days for a week or two as I travel to warmer, drier climates and work sites I know have some very challenging iron to deal with.

A year ago my MXT Pro dropped to the #2 slot in my arsenal after I got a Nokta FORS CoRe (Coin & Relic) and put it to the test with a few field case scenarios. That was last January. In February I got the Makro Racer and soon parted with my MXT Pro, MX5 and slow but sure all the others I had ... except for my favorite and field-proven Tesoro models ... and I continue to work every detector I can get in my hands to try and find anything that provides me the raw power and excellent handling of nails and other ferrous trash.

To complement my three Tesoro's, Nokta FORS CoRe and Makro Racer I now have two more newer models that are proving themselves. A Nokta FORS Gold+ at 19 kHz, and a Makro Gold Racer at 56 kHz. They, too, best the MXT's and cause me to wonder what engineering White's might have done to the coming MX Sport to help improve the performance in dense ferrous trash. To the point, I even wonder who White's now has to lead and manage their engineering development?

search and recovery
Hopefully it will also have good depth of detection as well. ...Stuart]
I hope it has 'functional' depth. Depth of detection is often more of an illusion with many people, and all too often I read where consumers want 'depth' but are hunting in a very littered environment, and that alone restricts depth accomplishment.

I am eager to get a production MX Sport in my hands to compare it against models that have been and are proving their abilities afield to me. If the comfort and balance are there, complemented by performance and functional adjustments, using coils that work were I need a detector to, then I just might add an MX Sport to my detector battery.

It does have a few things going against it in my opinion. One is I don't want or need a big, round 10" DD coil. I usually don't need a DD of any design, unless I get the performance from it that I need, and I never found one that worked well on an MX5 or MXT Pro compared to the 6½" and 9" spider Concentric coils. Also, I wasn't thrilled to see White's come out with another new model that lacks a rear-positioned headphone jack. They used to lead the way with all their models, from the lower-end Classic series to the current top-dollar V3i, with a rear-located headphone jack.

The Fisher F-75 and Teknetics T2 have it in a rear position, and so do my Nokta FORS and Makro Racer models, even though the latter have a smaller-size compartment for batteries, speaker, On/Off Volume control and headphone jack. The MX Sport put it in a cockeyed location when it could have been incorporated in the new under-armcup battery housing.

It will only be a matter or weeks before the MX Sport hits dealers shelves and I hope to check one out while on my detector evaluation travels.

Monte
January 24, 2016 04:07PM
Monte,
I guess I had an older Spectrum machine back in the eighties. Memory is not as sharp as I once had, I guess. Bought it used and got good service out of it.
What single frequency machines work well in wet salt sand and salt water that can compare to a Minelab or CZ multi frequency machine? ...Stuart
January 24, 2016 11:14PM
search and recovery Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Monte,
> I guess I had an older Spectrum machine back
> in the eighties. Memory is not as sharp as I once
> had, I guess. Bought it used and got good service
> out of it.
> What single frequency machines work well in wet
> salt sand and salt water that can compare to a
> Minelab or CZ multi frequency machine? ...Stuart

Keith S..when you getting your hands on one to test?
January 25, 2016 10:42PM
A major detector dealer is advertising the price at $749.00 and you can pre-order I guess. Whites must be releasing it real soon.
January 26, 2016 02:42AM
Andy kind of dashed my hopes with a post he made on the Findmall forum. Someone asked him how the Sport compared to the Deus and he said the Sport wasn't intended to compete with the high end models like the Deus or CTX. That let the air out of my balloon. I will still find one to go tinker with when they come out but now my expectations are lowered quite a bit.
January 26, 2016 02:53AM
Hungarian Wrote:
> A major detector dealer is advertising the price
> at $749.00 and you can pre-order I guess. Whites
> must be releasing it real soon.

just checked at BBH and it's on pre-order for $849 now. wonder what's up with the $100 increase?
January 26, 2016 03:16AM
$799.00 suggested retail
$749.00 MAP

dealers can advertise any price they want as long as it is not under map. Not sure he will sell many at over suggested list. Maybe just trying to make some extra profit. Rumor is there may be a package coming with auxiliary coils maybe a bag etc...
January 26, 2016 03:47AM
canslawhero Wrote:
> Hungarian Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A major detector dealer is advertising the
> price
> > at $749.00 and you can pre-order I guess.
> Whites
> > must be releasing it real soon.
>
> just checked at BBH and it's on pre-order for $849
> now. wonder what's up with the $100 increase?

I wouldnt buy from BBH.. Not at that price.
There is a lady here in Ohio that just started selling Whites. She is taking orders at the 749 price.
If you want her name and number just pm me
Corey
January 26, 2016 03:57AM
I would imagine you could do a lot better than MAP. Heck you can get 10% off a the k.
January 26, 2016 05:19PM
DAN, THIS WAS ANDY'S RESPONSE TO HIS POST AND THE POST ABOUT BLOWING AWAY THE CUTE FRENCH THING:

"I have not seen the post that you are referring to so I am not going to start an argument that may be out of context but I can't see where a claim such as the MXSPort being the new "top dog" on the block would be an accurate assessment of its intended market spot. The MXSport takes the MXT to a new level but the MXT was never touted as being the top of even the White's own line. The MXSport offers some things that the Deus and even the CTX 3030 do not but the other two offer features that the MXSport does not. However, at the $799.95 list price, the MXSport gives users a detector built to the White's standard that is waterproof, offers multiple "detectors" in one housing and has optional coils that make it extremely versatile. My wife has really mastered the MX5 and that has been her go-to detector of late but she has been putting up a fight when I have tried to take the MXSport for a spin during testing.

As far as recovery speed, it is better than most but with the adjustable Reactivity setting on the Deus, I can't say that the MXSport will recover faster than the Deus regardless of what has been posted elsewhere.

But as I have found, one person's opinion might not match up with someone elses . . . . . and this post is my opinion based on time with both models

Andy"
January 27, 2016 09:23PM
I believe what we are seeing is a exoskeleton or shell to house different guts and displays. Much like a lot of the manufacturers. This will save a lot of money on future releases. Similar to the Minelab CTX and GPZ (same body different guts.) What will they fit inside in the future? GMT, V3i, PI? I think this may be the reason for the 12 volt power? They may need the extra voltage for more powerful machines?
If you never use it in the water the advantages would be dustproof and rainproof. Plus being able to clean it off with water is sweet as well. I don't expect this machine to be the wonder do everything the best machine. It was built to take on the ATpro with a ton more features. If it does everything well I will be happy. Especially for the price!

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
January 28, 2016 12:49PM
kenny your right... a couple years ago while on the phone with an upper management guy at whites he did say that all future whites machines mid price and up will be waterproof to 10 feet.. i had posted that whites was gonna be doing some great things....but nothing.... months went by then years and whites went blank...ive been a whites user all my life,since 1978, and this past year or 2 is the only time i have ever not owned one.. i will buy this mxsport for sure, and i bet money the new high end machines will have this same housing.
January 29, 2016 01:10AM
basstrackerman Wrote:
> kenny your right... a couple years ago while on
> the phone with an upper management guy at whites
> he did say that all future whites machines mid
> price and up will be waterproof to 10 feet.. i had
> posted that whites was gonna be doing some great
> things....but nothing.... months went by then
> years and whites went blank...ive been a whites
> user all my life,since 1978, and this past year or
> 2 is the only time i have ever not owned one.. i
> will buy this mxsport for sure, and i bet money
> the new high end machines will have this same
> housing.
Just like buying a new Mustang. Virtually the same car but with 4 different engines and packages. You can think of the guts of the detector as the engine choices and the coils as the performance package. Basically they all look the same on the outside. But what's under the hood could be way different.
PS: Looking closer at the battery cap - It's doubled sealed. One inner high performance silicone O-ring with another flat gasket under the head. They don't want this thing to leak! It took them a while but it looks like they made it durable...

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
January 29, 2016 04:34PM
It's about time these companies that take forever to come out with a new flagship do it right...they know what we want and what we would like to see..it seems some of them just put out a detector and some of us think this has to be better then what I have..A water unit should be for both land and creeks and rivers. If you are hunting creeks where civil war wagons and such crossed you want to get in the water and then hit the land around it...So I hope whites gives us more than what is out there

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!