Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I'm speechless,almost

Posted by kickback 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I'm speechless,almost
April 29, 2008 03:39AM
I got my new F 75 this afternoon.I put it together and headed out.I went down the street to an old school.It was built in 1927 and burned down in the 90's.It has been pounded by detectors.At first I thought I'd go nuts with all the targets in the ground.I turned up the discrimination to 21 and the sensitivity down to 60.This quieted the machine down.There was a transformer on a power pole so I was getting a little EMI.I didn't bother to read the manual just ground balance and went hunting.I dug one high tone and it turned out to be a copper disk,quarter sized.The next signal was a 1954 silver quarter.I left and went to an old hotel site.The hotel burned down a long time a go.My neighbor came over with his new XLT.I got a good "soft " high tone.I asked him to check it.He said "Junk"I dug it,it was an old ornate gilt button in great shape.This raised his eyebrows.We went across the street to an old boardwalk.This has been pounded by detectors.I fell in behind him.I got a nice soft high tone,good lock.I asked him to check it,he said maybe it's a penny,it wasn't a good enough signal for him to dig.At 5 inches I uncovered a 1941 Mercury dime.It doesn't look like it was circulated.I was stoked!!My first Mercury dime!My first hunt with the F 75 and 2 silver coins from "detected to death sites".This detector is a keeper.Now I have to get to some of my old spots I researched this winter.2 days ago we had the ground covered with snow again.Bill
Re: I'm speechless,almost
April 29, 2008 09:39PM
I think you are in for more surprises; especially when conditions will allow you to raise Sens above '90'..... drop Disc to '6' and ,,,,,,........ if you are strictly hunting for old coins,,,,,,...... placing Tones on '4' and digging the top 2 tones. And if you are relic hunting....... digging all tones except iron (or one tone....if you are in monotone). There will be times when the F-75 will have so much EMI..... that you must leave THAT site,,,and head for another. This might discourage you. DON'T get discouraged. Sites that have little/no EMI.... the F-75 will re-open ALL "hunted-out" areas. "Startled" you will be..... as long as you understand and accept the 'achilles heel' of the F-75. Perfection is difficult!

Tom
April 30, 2008 12:21AM
as long as you understand and accept the 'achilles heel' of the F-75.

What would that be Tom? Because it is over sensitive? I find mine to be almost the best thing since sliced bread.
April 30, 2008 01:40AM
Some areas it'll have severe EMI.
April 30, 2008 01:43AM
Tom have you tried the small coil yet..I find it to be a almost perfect fix for EMI..I have hunted right next to a steel tower High Voltage transmission line in De,Disc 6 and sense 90,3H tone with no problems the voltage was so strong the lines were Popping/slapping kinda makes me wonder when I am going to get Zapped..I am a good 60' away inside a steel fence with underground powerlines everywhere..I found a set of truck keys at 6" good tone..The small coil is worth every penny..
April 30, 2008 01:54AM
I find the larger coil gives nearly identical adjacent target seperation ...... but goes deeper. And I have yet to 'clear' EMI with the smaller coil. It DOES fit into tighter/tougher hunting areas...... so it does have application.

Tom
April 30, 2008 02:17AM
Tom maybe I haven't experianced the EMI you speak of...I use the stock coil 80% of the time..but really like the smaller coil for most city parks..
April 30, 2008 11:17AM
As an urban hunter,NYC live and hunt in the Bronx i havent come across EMI yet. The only time i hear it is if i turn it on inside my house. My yard is ony 5'x 20' and thats where my test bed is. I surrounded b chain link fence and row houses. At standard default i get no EMI and hit every target. Mind you there is power lines all over because the style of houses, also a ton of stuff onderground "fiber optic cable etc" Maybe Tom has a special super tuned machine =0)
April 30, 2008 09:10PM
If you have not encountered EMI yet... that's great! If you want to hear it prematurely; swich to 'JE' mode, place Sens on '99' and Disc on '0'. If you STILL don't hear it..... you are in for some serious detecting opportunities!

Tom
April 30, 2008 11:44PM
Ok tom if your refering to how the F75 reacts in JE mode to your above settings I understand..I tried it for kicks and giggles and tought my Brain was going to get Damaged more than it already is..ha ha..I Do like using JE mode when possible..I will just juice the F75 up and hang on for the ride..the coins and gold seems like They hit Harder..even more than De in Disc 0-5....james