Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Indian trail trees?

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Indian trail trees?
January 26, 2016 06:08AM
This is probably something else that Keith has been keeping under his hat <g>, but I know I have seen these trees before. Just didn't know what I was looking at.

I just learned about them a few minutes ago while reading Ed Huffman's latest Treasure Mountain newsletter.

[indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com]

One way these trees are identified, according to the linked article, is by finding artifacts around them. Perhaps some of these artifacts are made of metal?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2016 06:12AM by ncwayne.
Re: Indian trail trees?
January 26, 2016 09:50AM
I have come across a few of these trees in my woods adventures....interesting.
January 26, 2016 08:36PM
Thanks for posting the link Wayne,

We have a few Indian trail trees in my area, here's one and auctally is very close to the Indian village nearby. Plus, Note the upper tree portion grew into the ground. The position of the tree points to the nearby village.

The village is on a property I have Permission to detect or dig, this Indian trail tree is off the old indian trail, later to be used by Explorers, stage runs and even Jeremiah Smith, Kit Cason, John Fremont and other famous Explorers traveled this route including the Gold rush era pioneers.

Also, another area not too far from here is were the Indians warned the first settlers in the valley to relocate within 10 days, well no one knows for sure why the settlers waited till the last day to leave. What followed is known is the Indians attacked massacring all but three, one lay playing dead with arrows in his back the other two escaped by river wounded as well...It's said, about 1000 Indians were involved in the massacre. The suriver playing dead witnessed the leader John Wood skined alive, his skin was found nailed to a tree same type of tree in the picture below, that tree finally fell about 20 years ago.

I'm going to get that book from the link you provided, very informative good to know information.

Thanks again for sharing the link,

Paul

January 27, 2016 03:16AM
I spent many a day with a Indian treasure hunter...back about 25 years ago...

He talked a lot about Knee trees...

always said the real ones had Noses on them..said how they bent them over them over tied them off then cut them and packed moss in the tip to make the tree grow up again from the cut..supposedly the indian ones had the Noses ..

Also some were pure ceremonial I'm told and marked the boundary of sacred ground..

I'm not sure small ones are from the 1830s...they are quite big now the ones that are left in the wild from 185 years ago..

by the way the old timer was a SUCCESSFUL Indian treasure FINDER..

He was a walking encyclopedia...

Learned a lot of UNIQUE things from that man.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 27, 2016 03:28AM
Interesting indeed.
January 27, 2016 03:48AM
I have a book on local history of my area and there were some old pictures in there of some of these Indian trail marker trees, but they are long gone now. I think the last one fell over in the 60's. Pretty cool that there are some left in other areas.
HH
John