Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Good Headphones?

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Good Headphones?
February 23, 2016 09:50PM
I'm shopping for a quality set of headphones. Something that is good with both analog and digital audio.

What would be your suggestions?

Thanks
Mike
Re: Good Headphones?
February 23, 2016 09:55PM
I like and recommend Sennhieser's...
February 23, 2016 10:07PM
I like the grey ghost for both
HH
Corey
February 23, 2016 10:12PM
Grey Ghost
Jolly Rogers
KillerBees
Black Widows

all good
February 23, 2016 11:14PM
Mike,
I'll buck the trend and state that I don't like the Grey Ghosts at all...to much mid-range and the high tones sound muffled/muddy due to the way the limiter/protection circuit is implemented.
(I may just be too picky, though...ten years working for an audio company will do that.)

KillerBees and SunRay Pro Gold both great and 'crisp' sounding.
smiling smiley
mike

Edit:
A caveat here...in fairness to DP, one model of DetectorPro that doesn't have the 'muffling' limiter circuitry (like the GG), is the Uniprobe headphone/pinpointer...and it sounds great.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2016 11:46PM by Mike in CO.
February 23, 2016 11:21PM
For detectors with bleedy audio,, I.e. Deus, Makro Racer, Nokta CoRe--- I hate my grey ghost,,,to muffled sounding

Can't speak for the rest, but I am considering on getting a better set of full style type.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2016 12:05AM by tnsharpshooter.
February 23, 2016 11:32PM
BJ Headphones here in the UK are great.... He can produce headphones to suit your needs and machine.
February 23, 2016 11:48PM
I also like and use the Grey Ghost Ultimate's. I've had them many years...the muff's have been compromised but they still work. I like the mute switch, with sparky detectors.
I think the opposite from what others say about the muffled sound....to my hearing, they are crisp and mid to high in tone.
February 24, 2016 01:34AM
Thanks for that description Mike. I thought the GG sounding kind of muffled was just me. I'll have to try the Killer Bs now. My GG phones have spent most of the time in my storage box.
February 24, 2016 01:37AM
I've always liked the Killer B Wasps. But I may try the Deteknix W6 wireless headphones, as the Deus has me spoiled....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2016 01:39AM by triplehooked.
February 24, 2016 02:01AM
In the market myself for a new set, iv had good luck with DP jolly rogers but would like a limiter for those loud tops and cans! I hear the whites pro star are quality but no switch or limiter....
February 24, 2016 02:41AM
Sun rays are too high for me. Too bleedy and lows and mids are muffled. Not enough separation in tones. I've been using the new whites ultralights. I got the prostars too but the ultralights are great, block the wind, I can hear whats going on around me and sound great. Also curled cord with volume control and 1/4 inch plug. Not the starlites but the ultralights.
February 24, 2016 03:03AM
I have a set of Killer B's that I used with the Deus adapter clip and the headphone controller. I love the Killer B's. But better still, I was able to get a set of Killer B's Camo that some tech-savvy person adapted. They attached the clip and removed the cord. I pop the headphone controller right to the side of the ear cup and I'm completely wireless, but still have a great quality, full size headphone. I love it.
February 24, 2016 04:14AM
Agree with Mike in CO and TNSS on the muffled GGs... I have computer headphones and even some ear buds that sound much better. Looking for some better ones myself.
February 24, 2016 05:57AM
I've had the Sun Ray Pro Golds for 2 years. Use them with the Racer, F75, Explorer, and GPX 4800. Can't imagine anything better than the Pro Golds. No problems. No complaints.
A few months ago when it dawned on me I ought to have a backup set of phones, I didn't hesitate to buy another set of Pro Golds. Why would I buy anything else?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 24, 2016 03:53PM
Most run the same specs if you look carefully. I like the Pro Goldand black widows.
February 24, 2016 08:29PM
iqwizpoom, How do they compare to the prostar for sound quality?
February 24, 2016 11:46PM
The prostars are better but the ultralights are great for their size. From what i can gather they're rebranded marshall major's that have been optimized for metal detecting by whites. They are rated at 32ohm x2 or 64ohm. Personally I prefer them both to the sunray's even though the sunray's fit so nice. The ultralights are a step up from the xp backphones I was using before for high traffic spots where you need to be aware of your surroundings. A big step up!
February 25, 2016 12:58AM
Its funny how machine specific phones are. I didnt care for the prostars on my explorers, not bad just "meh". However they bring a racer to life. I was shocked at how good they sound on the makro. They do fit a little tight on a big headed guy like myself. Now the pro golds absolutely rock on FBS units
February 25, 2016 01:14AM
Yep, I'm using them on the racer and a couple tesoro's. I've heard the pro gold are the cats meow for minelabs but on the machines I'm using the whites win. Less coloring of the audio for my ears.
February 25, 2016 04:11AM
I have been using Grey Ghosts for years and never really was happy with them.
Mainly because they were not comfortable.
I recently bought a set of Sun Ray Pro Golds and I am very happy with them.
Much better comfort and sound. Not really even close in my opinion..
Bryan
February 25, 2016 04:46AM
Pro Golds for me, or Killer B's.

I am not a Grey Ghost fan at all.
February 25, 2016 09:25PM
I use a different set for different Detectors. All are good it's just some I prefer on a different Machine as Follows;

CZ-3D Killer Bee Wasp's

Etrac Jolly Rodger Ultimate's

Nautilus IIBa Grey Ghost DMC's -[ Really Brings out the Soft Modulated Disc. Only Tone].
February 26, 2016 01:07AM
Got to tell ya, not a lot of great info on any of them!! I just pulled the trigger on a pair of killer b"s wasp.....we will see...at least they offer money back return if you don't like them. Seems no one but whites offer life Time warranty on there phones...makes me wonder.
February 26, 2016 02:09AM
LeadHead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got to tell ya, not a lot of great info on any of
> them!! I just pulled the trigger on a pair of
> killer b"s wasp.....we will see...at least they
> offer money back return if you don't like them.
> Seems no one but whites offer life Time warranty
> on there phones...makes me wonder.

Detector Pro That makes Grey Ghost and Jolly Rodgers have lifetime Warranty.
February 29, 2016 05:56PM
Well, actually they offer a Limited life time warranty, original owner and I think its for one year!
March 07, 2016 10:51PM
So far so good, killer b wasp are very comfortable and built well...I will buy another pair!
March 08, 2016 12:15PM
Ordered the Prostars and they should be delivered today. Will see how they compare to the Koss QZ-99's
March 08, 2016 06:06PM
The Prostars showed up this morning so I went out to the iron pit with them and the Omega. This field is machine gun iron spread over a very large area. Worked it for a while with the 11" and switched to the 7" concentric. The tones are a vast improvement over the Koss. I actually started to hate the machine because of the raspy spitty hits in iron when a good tone is trying to sneak through. Not anymore, the tones are purer and even seem to be less abbreviated which is what some noticed on the 8500 when it first came out.

Now come on Racer 2 the snow is melting off the fields.

Tom
March 08, 2016 08:40PM
LeadHead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So far so good, killer b wasp are very comfortable
> and built well...I will buy another pair!

I won't leave home without them. I love them!

tabman