Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nokta Fors Relic

Posted by sanjuro 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Nokta Fors Relic
March 05, 2016 09:36AM
What I like is that Nokta/Makro gives us good.. make that great.. detectors at competitive pricing.

US manufacturers pricing.. " it's a niche hobby that why prices are high" I call B.S. Now having said that, If something revolutionary rather than evolutionary comes out that would demand the higher price being asked for on some of the top end machines.

So the game is afoot. Nokta Impact vs the others (Fisher CZX-Mosca , Whites and Garret etal)

Tom
March 05, 2016 03:25PM
I think Nokta Impact will be the cat's meow and have the other companies scratching their heads confused smiley

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 05, 2016 03:47PM
I am impressed like everyone else with what the folks from Turkey Have achieved in such a short time.

Their US Pricing is helped by the fact that 2 years ago, the US $ was worth about 2 Turkish Lira - today it's worth 3 Lira. That means they make 50% more in Lira for every $. With the bulk of their costs in Turkey, good for them and since they are taking advantage of this fact to boost sales instead of inflate profit - good for us!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2016 03:48PM by lytle78.
March 05, 2016 05:13PM
Looks like an incredible detector that I would be REALLY interesdted in adding to my arsenal...BUT...it looks like they are still using the same forward grip angle as on the FORS Core.....that is a deal breaker for me...hunting with the FORS Core for more than a few hours would result in wrist pain and tendonitis in my wrist....that couple with having to rest your index finger on the trigger made the CORE a painful experience. I know of other users who felt the same. Wish they would have changed the angle to the same degree as the Tekentics G2...BUMMER
March 05, 2016 05:43PM
That's the best detector design I've ever had my arm in.
March 05, 2016 05:44PM
Just when I'm about to pull the trigger on a Racer2 this new Fors unit comes out!! Jeez! Some tough decisions. I need a site specific machine that being colonial cellar sites with carpets of square nails. Would the Fors Relic have an advantage on the Racer2 in terms of unmasking whats left of the non-ferrous targets? If so is it a big difference? I see it's priced a bit lower than the R2 and comes with both coils which is a great deal. I'm so torn! I'll keep my T2 for the fields and the CTX3030 won't leave my lineup. All the easy pickings have been grabbed from my sites long ago.
March 05, 2016 06:49PM
Great feature set, will there be a "Racer Relic" version? Kind of wondering if I should change my Racer2 order to the Relic machine...hmm...
March 05, 2016 07:27PM
sekypaleo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like an incredible detector that I would be
> REALLY interesdted in adding to my
> arsenal...BUT...it looks like they are still using
> the same forward grip angle as on the FORS
> Core.....that is a deal breaker for me...hunting
> with the FORS Core for more than a few hours would
> result in wrist pain and tendonitis in my
> wrist....that couple with having to rest your
> index finger on the trigger made the CORE a
> painful experience. I know of other users who felt
> the same. Wish they would have changed the angle
> to the same degree as the Tekentics G2...BUMMER

The index finger on the trigger is a royal pain in the *** that was the only feature of the Core i hated.
March 05, 2016 10:08PM
I'm not a big fan of the Grip myself..Though it is the sturdiest plastic one on the market the pinpoint button needs to be moved up higher...about where the flashlight button is and maybe move flashlight switch to top of grip so we can see it and tell if its own or off...

But I think Taller arm cuff sides would alleviate a lot of the wrist roll problems...that's where the most discomfort comes from...

I hope they make the arm cuff taller..

Also to some other comments..a high gain high freq units seems to work the best on depleted sites full of iron..

This Is a tool but a very very good Workhorse style Relic machine for site work..

All in all it s a Sturdy unit designed to Work hard in a relic site...

Were lucky to have full gamut coil choices also..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 06, 2016 03:49AM
Been reading on other forums and it seems quite a few people consider the trigger position and some like me the forward grip angle to be "deal breakers" on their machines of this style. Perhaps my wrist pain would not occur if I had been able to grip the grip with all 4 fingers instead of 2 or 3. Nokta/Makro have been great about listening to users and fixing and improving things, but not this issue.
Hey Nokta Detectors
March 06, 2016 02:14PM
You know I don't like uncomfortable grips and handles (like the Racer 1 has). Is the problem with the Nokta FORS Relic grip (angle and button/trigger locations) going to be resolved in the "1" or do I need to wait for the "2?"
What is it with the Nokta/Makro ergonomics? Great electronics and some good things re user interface, but some glaring deficiencies remain. Keep making great detectors, but please make them comfortable, ie, NOT PAINFUL, to use for a full day.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
March 07, 2016 03:46PM
The Nokta FORS Relic is an excellent detector choice for any Avid Detectorist, ..... and if you enjoy the thrill-of-the-hunt as a serious Relic Hunter, you sure qualify to be an 'Avid Detectorist,' and that means one thing for sure. You want to own and use some of the best detecting equipment you possibly can to work in and around building rubble, pioneer and military encampments, homesteads, stage stops, ghost towns and any early era activity site that might have desired finds.

Just like the hobbyists who like the fun of Coin Hunting all the typical, well-hunted urban sites, many very worked Relic Hunting sites have been gleaned of a lot of the 'easy' stuff. Therefore the Avid Relic Hunters have to do their best to find any new detector offering with a few features we feel might help us. A move to some higher frequencies than normal, investigating any new adjustment functions that can help us work those trashier sites that have been ignored ... or just not huntable with the detectors we have had available before.

Keith Southern provided a very informative post on a Forum after Dilek made the 'Official Announcement' about the new FORS Relic. At the time Dilek posted it, I was out-of-town with my FORS Relic and Makro Racer 2 and FORS Gold+ loaded up to go investigate one old mining town and access to two others. I can only hope the current warming trend and rain the next several days can get rid of the remaining snow and clear the access road to two of the towns.

The more I heard about the 15 kHz Nokta FORS CoRe, I gained a lot of interest and had to check one out. I got a FORS CoRe Pro Package January of last year to evaluate. This was after using the 19 kHz Teknetics G2 in 2012 and '13, and then acquiring two new Fisher F19s, also at 19 kHz, in the latter part of 2014. I could appreciate a potential for using a higher frequency detector of about 19 kHz, but try as I could in a number of different places in three states, I let the F19's go, also, because I didn't like the nose-heavy feel with the 5X10 DD, and really was let down by the performance ... or should I say lack of performance. I went back to using models that worked for the tough, iron plagued sites I hunt, ..... until I got the FORS CoRe in my hands.

The FORS CoRe set a new standard by which all other modern detectors had to compare for me, and the only detector last year that seemed to come close was the original Makro Racer. The Racer became a perfect compliment to the FORS CoRe a year ago, and the results I enjoyed at many places I have been hunting for decades was simply impressive. What I have been trying to convey to many detecting friends who have become too used to modern designs that use a lot of Tone ID, is to learn a 2-Tone Discriminate mode of operation

A very good approach to Relic Hunt most sites is to use a 2-Tone audio mode with a lower, bass-like tone for the lower-conductive ferrous range targets, and a higher-pitched tone with VCO enhancement for the more conductive non-ferrous targets. The FORS CoRe afforded me the opportunity to work those old-use locations, be able to hear the iron trash, and unmask potentially good targets. Most of the time I used the Di2, 2-Tone audio mode with a low Discrimination setting, and at times, when conditions were favorable for me, I'd make use of the more processed Di3, 3-Tone audio mode.

I got my FORS Gold + on December 9th and was only able to work in a few brief excursions before the frozen ground was covered in white for the holiday season, and all of the Gold Nugget Hunting locations wouldn't be available until spring (which is coming soon!), but we have had access to a couple of CCW camps, and two POW camps plus one ghost town the past 2½ months so I have had a lot of opportunity to get to know several new units from Makro Detectors and Nokta Detectors ... almost all-at-once! It has been an interesting and rewarding challenge for me, and has set new standards of performance for me to enjoy today and in the future.

The first, just 3 months ago, was the FORS Gold + which was an answer to a wish I have had, that parallels that of Keith, and that is a detector that operates at 19 kHz, and better still, one that works exceptionally well! The other 19 kHz detectors I had lacked depth, didn't balance and feel as durable or as comfortable, and most certainly didn't provide the performance on my Nail Board Performance Test or display the ability to unmask targets in very iron littered sites like the FORS Gold +.

The Gold + was a model I wanted for two purposes, and that is for some Gold Nugget Hunting, logically, and for Relic Hunting, which is what I do most often. It moved my CoRe to a 2nd pick position in my personal arsenal due to the difference in operating frequency and how the 2-Tone Discriminate modes function gave it that 'edge' in performance. The CoRe was grabbed at times when I wanted to make use of the Di3, 3-Tone audio mode which the Gold + doesn't have.

Now it is time to pause, and give credit to two other people involved in the development and progress of Makro Detectors and Nokta Detectors, and that is Dilek, a name most often heard, and Alper, a name most folks haven't heard until Keith's post which also gives credit and praise to what it takes for a metal detector manufacturer to have a gleaming presence on the detector market. We left the analog detector designs behind in the dust of progress in this new age of digitally programmed software, and, as Keith noted, it is just remarkable how quickly and expertly we had suggestions addressed

Alper is the Software Team Leader for the FORS and Racer platforms and other developments, and I have never enjoyed the experience I have witnessed with original design, quick and analytical revision to functions as discussed with evaluators, and getting a finished product developed by any manufacturer as I have seen from the Nokta/Makro team. And note the word 'team' because it isn't just one person trying to tinker around to develop a very technical device such as these.

Honestly, you wouldn't believe how quickly Keith and I were able to communicate our experiences in rapid back-and-forth e-mails with Alper and Dilek, then have an answer to what revision adjustments were made, and the 'why' for those decisions and what to expect .. then have a final revised unit in-hand for further evaluation. I have worked with some manufacturers in the past, and was employed by a manufacturer, and never saw this type of savvy understanding, controlled feature adjustments, and test unit ready-to-go as what I experienced with the FORS Relic development.

And for those who have seen the name 'Dilek' in Forum posts and discussion, please don't be led to think she is simply a gal who answers the phone and passes messages along. She has to be one of the most involved, most concerned and most on-the-job Sales and Marketing Manager in the industry. Again, note the word 'Manager' as that implies more people and production involvement than just an order-taker. Any new product announcement needs to be met with complete answers for the consumers, too, who are going to have them, and you can compare Nokta Detectors and Makro Detectors against any other manufacturer who brings us, the valued consumers, new products.

Keith & I knew the 'Relic' was coming, but we didn't know for sure how soon. Look at other recent detectors to hit the market in the last several months to a year. Often they are mentioned, but no answers on a manufacturer's Forum. Sometimes they even leak a photo or nutty video clip, but there is no detailed information about specifications or even an MSRP. Quite often it takes a while before you see anything on the manufacturer's website. Not so with these folks!

In the last several months we have seen the Nokta Gold + introduced, then the Makro Gold Racer, on February 10th Dilek announced the Racer 2, and yesterday, Match 4th, the Nokta FORS Relic. These products were not just announced, but she provided a link to their website that is full of product information, specifications, accessories, videos, and the MSRP. This whole 'package' deal is obviously from a well Managed Team Effort.

This concludes my 'pause' to credit two remarkable individuals who are behind brining me and every hobbyist and devoted detectorist products that are absolutely top-notch! :thumbup: Now, back to my rambling ....

As I mentioned, the 19 kHz Gold + moved to my #1 spot for most Relic Hunting tasks, except when I wanted to use a 3-Tone audio mode which it doesn't have. Then I would grab the CoRe. I was eager to get a Makro Gold Racer but things were happening over there with product development and my Gold Racer didn't arrive until the shipment with the Racer 2 for evaluation, and a project unit that had a name change with development to become the Relic.

That has had me side-tracked in getting my product reviews completed due to wintry weather for a spell after I got the Gold +, then the Gold Racer, and I was busy with the two units to not mention, until they were officially released, so it's been twenty-plus days for the Racer 2. I get far more e-mails and PM's than I post on various Forums so I have been busy ... and now I have a Relic to do up a report on.

Well, I'll briefly cover some of that here. In short, most of my hunting is at old places and I have to use the best detectors for what I want to deal with and accomplish. I have been metal detecting since '65, but Relic Hunting since '69 and that means a lot of time spent when I need performance so I get pretty selective and picky when I try to determine what works best for me and what doesn't. I also do put in some Coin & Jewelry Hunting time and, again, I can get selective as to where I hunt and what I am after.

The Gold Racer I wanted/needed because most of the Gold Nugget Hunting locations closer to me here in Oregon have smaller-size gold ... when you can find it .. and the 56 kHz Gold Racer delivers that kind of performance. But different from all the other LF nugget-hunting detectors, it isn't limited to a Threshold-base All Metal mode, but has two Discrimination modes to help deal with some bad ground or hot rock issues. I have found it to also work 'OK' for some selected Relic Hunting applications, or could be used for some urban Coin Hunting, but it isn't ideal for that.

Locating lower-conductive, small, thin type targets, like small gold rings, gold pendants or gold chains, the Gold Racer is a nice model to grab for that kind of hunting, so this primary-use Gold Nugget Hunting model can also work for me when after gold jewelry, or for some Relic Hunting needs, too.

Then the Racer 2 was released and it is now in a close 2nd in my Relic Hunting detector battery, tied in that spot with the Gold +. It is there to give me a little advantage when or where there might be some smaller but higher-conductive targets, plus it has the Iron Audio Volume and Tone Break controls not found on the Gold +, should it be a dense iron nail infested site. The Racer 2 or FORS Gold +, as I say, are essentially tied in my carry battery as both of them work quite well in any Relic Hunting environment, with each having an 'edge' due to frequency, Iron Audio Volume, or just the way they behave in their Discriminate modes.

The Gold + is still the better of the two for Gold Nugget Hunting, and the Racer 2, with the 3-Tone mode and Notch Filter discrimination and the Audio Tone Level adjustment, make it the better Coin & Jewelry Hunting model, especially of I want to concentrate on gold jewelry potential sites. But using the added search modes, Tone Break, and Iron Volume adjustment in a 19 kHz package, the new Relic is exactly the answer to what I wished for once I had the Gold + in hand at some old-target sites. Like I said in my product review on the Nokta website, and I really mean it ....

"Unmasking abilities like you wouldn't imagine! -- The Nokta FORS Relic."

The new FORS Relic has the GEN, Di2, Di3 and COG modes (All Metal, 2-Tone, 3-Tone, Beach) similar to the CoRe, and an additional two modes, DEP (Deep) and SWT (Swift), but the performance in these 2-Tone audio modes has its own characteristic behavior. With the higher Tone level in the four 2-Tone search modes, the fixed lower Tone for ferrous targets (and those below the Tone Break setting in the 2-Tone modes) , you have a very pronounced, easy to clearly hear favorable higher-tone response.

Iron Volume lets you leave it at full Volume level if you like, maybe for very sparse iron littered areas, or reduce the Iron Volume loudness, which I do most of the time, when places that have a lot of nails and other similar small iron debris to deal with. Based upon your ability to tolerate a lot of iron responses or to set it for your personal hearing ability, you can adjust it to calm that loud response from nails and the like. I sometimes have mine set at a level of '02' or maybe '03' and, when nails are too abundantly plentiful, I also have Di2 (2-Tone) mode with the Iron Volume set at '00' which is 'Off' or No audio response.

I do that also in really nasty environments with the Racer 2 in a 2-Tone mode for a very good reason. I like to know, when I have a good or 'iffy' response, if there is any iron trash nearby. A good-reading target will produce a very erratic visual TID if there is iron very close that is partially masking it. While I could increase my ID Mask (Discrimination) to just reject Iron Nails at maybe a setting of '10' or '11,' or even reject most ferrous trash with a setting of '20,' I wouldn't know iron junk was close by.

Rejected targets will not provide either an Audio response or a Visual display of a target once rejected. However, if I keep the rejection level set low so the detector DOES respond to and process the ferrous target response, I simply keep the Iron Volume set 'Off' with a '00' setting. I don't HEAR the nearby ferrous objects, but the visual TID Display will light-up and show me the Target ID number and alert me to the fact that there is a potentially favorable target mixed in close to iron junk.

In any of the 2-Tone search modes you will also have the ability to adjust the Low-Tone/High-Tone break-point using the Tone Break adjustment feature. And with the factory default setting of '20' for Iron/Non-Iron break-up rather than '40' on the CoRe and Gold + models. This lower-set break-point between iron and non-iron means there is a great spread for Target ID for all of the non-ferrous targets, and that should help eliminate 'bunching' like we have experienced on the Racer, FORS CoRe and FORS Gold + around the '82' read-out.

It does mean all of the typical TID numbers you might associate with common US coins and other targets will be a bit different and you will have to learn each model, but it is an advantage of the two newest models when it comes to trying to visually separate some desired targets, even for urban hunting for coins or selectively looking for gold jewelry for some people.

And for urban Coin Hunters, or for occasional times for Relic Hunters, when a site is rather quiet and free of a lot of metal targets, the Boost mode can, and does, provide some improved detection depth, but is a slower processing mode and needs a little slower sweep speed to best handle the ground signal to gain depth.

I keep the 5½X10 Concentric coil mounted full-time on my Gold + for working modestly littered areas, and the Relic makes use of the standard 7X11 DD for those times when targets are sparse and I have more ground to cover and/or deeper targets anticipated. The standard coil is very well balanced on the Relic, just as it is on the CoRe.

But for most areas I search, debris is very challenging and there is a lot of ferrous mixed in and I like the smaller-size search coils. The round 5" DD coil (which has a physical measurement of almost 5½" across the bottom with the thin coil cover) is the coil I use most often on the Relic .. and it is part of the two-coil standard package at $799 MSRP, with the extra lower rod and hardware included!

You can go to the Nokta website and read all the info on the specifications and package contents to learn all of the features that await you with the Nokta FORS Relic. There is not one single 'perfect' detector, but there are a number of very versatile models available to fit anyone's search needs, and if you are interested in having one of the best Relic Hunting detectors in your detector battery, you will get a good selection of choices from several Makro and Nokta models, ... but, so far as I am concerned, the superior performing single unit is the new FORS Relic.

The best 'team' are the people behind the scenes who are producing these top-performing detectors for us, and the second best 'team' is right behind me ... resting up on my back seat and eager to please. smiling smiley

Monte
March 08, 2016 07:33AM
sekypaleo Wrote:
> Been reading on other forums and it seems quite a
> few people consider the trigger position and some
> like me the forward grip angle to be "deal
> breakers" on their machines of this style. Perhaps
> my wrist pain would not occur if I had been able
> to grip the grip with all 4 fingers instead of 2
> or 3. Nokta/Makro have been great about listening
> to users and fixing and improving things, but not
> this issue.

Yup exactly, i didnt care for the pistol grip either, and they are heavy as a tank with the big box design, the side display is a head scratcher why? thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 07:34AM by Kickindirt.
March 08, 2016 01:38PM
Does anyone know if the Fors Gold Plus coils will work on the Fors Relic?
March 08, 2016 04:18PM
Handles are funny things and what works for one person does not work for another. In the end I am a Makro guy instead of a Nokta guy and it all boils down to the handle design. I have a zillion hours swinging Minelab PI detectors and that handle feels natural. The Nokta handle by comparison with the index finger always on trigger design is just not doing it for me. My grip always felt contrived instead of natural. Choice is a good thing though. Jack gets his perfect design and I have a Racer 2 instead so all is well.
March 08, 2016 04:34PM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> Handles are funny things and what works for one
> person does not work for another. In the end I am
> a Makro guy instead of a Nokta guy and it all
> boils down to the handle design. I have a zillion
> hours swinging Minelab PI detectors and that
> handle feels natural. The Nokta handle by
> comparison with the index finger always on trigger
> design is just not doing it for me. My grip always
> felt contrived instead of natural. Choice is a
> good thing though. Jack gets his perfect design
> and I have a Racer 2 instead so all is well.

This begs the question:
Is there a 19KHz Racer Relic machine coming (for you/us Makro guys?) I think we know the answer to that one. The real question is how soon can Makro deliver it?

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
March 08, 2016 05:10PM
ncwayne Wrote:
> Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Handles are funny things and what works for one
> > person does not work for another. In the end I
> am
> > a Makro guy instead of a Nokta guy and it all
> > boils down to the handle design. I have a
> zillion
> > hours swinging Minelab PI detectors and that
> > handle feels natural. The Nokta handle by
> > comparison with the index finger always on
> trigger
> > design is just not doing it for me. My grip
> always
> > felt contrived instead of natural. Choice is a
> > good thing though. Jack gets his perfect design
> > and I have a Racer 2 instead so all is well.
>
> This begs the question:
> Is there a 19KHz Racer Relic machine coming (for
> you/us Makro guys?) I think we know the answer to
> that one. The real question is how soon can Makro
> deliver it?

I emailed Nokta/Makro and asked them that very question-------"Hello--Is there going to be a "Racer Relic" (similar to the FORS Relic)?---Thank you.-------------Their answer----"Not in the plans at this point".
March 08, 2016 06:05PM
Already people say too many machines too fast but then we all want another! Yeah, a Relic Racer crossed my mind also but people really are suffering from new machine fatigue. Gotta say that having used the 14 kHz Racer and 15 kHz FORS and 19 kHz FORS myself it is pretty hair splitting stuff anyway. If I could only own one 19 kHz would be a great compromise. Instead, I like my machines to have as much difference as possible so a 56 kHz Gold Racer and 14 kHz Racer 2 gives me two dramatically different machines. They both have distinct capabilities the other lacks. Tossing a 19 kHz into that mix, as appealing as it may be, just does not offer enough differentiation to me for it to be worthwhile. If I had to pick just one it would be hard to pass on 19 kHz as a great all around solution. In the end you just have to go with whatever fits your particular needs best. No matter what we always seem to have to compromise someplace.

One difference that should be mentioned always is I think the Nokta units are the way to go for big coils and anyone thinking deep seeking the Nokta Relic and a big coil would be killer. The Racers are better smaller coil machines though I have to say the big coil really runs well on the Gold Racer. Balance sucks though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 10:21PM by Steve Herschbach.
March 08, 2016 08:38PM
Spaceport Wrote:
> Does anyone know if the Fors Gold Plus coils will
> work on the Fors Relic?

Yes - same freq. = 19kHz
March 08, 2016 11:21PM
Thanks, I know they are both 19kHz, but also know that some companies coils will work and some will not, whether the frequency is the same or not....example series of some that work with different frequencies is the Teknetics Greek series, the Delta runs at at 7.8 and the G2 19kHz
March 09, 2016 02:13AM
Congratulations and Merry Christmas Keith!hot smiley This company is awesome. And no they should not slow down the rollout. If its new and cutting edge, keep cranking!