Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How deep should I expect to find silver coins in 1800s park?

Posted by Kickindirt 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How deep should I expect to find silver coins in 1800s park?
March 11, 2016 01:31PM
The park I'm pretty sure has been used since about 1869 when the town was founded. To prove this I have dug Indian wars Era military buttons. The fort near by was built 1865 I believe. Most of the older silver and penny's have been 1900- 1945 coins mostly. My oldest coin is a 1877 dime that was about 4" next to a tree that possibility kept it from going deeper. Pull tabs and old rusted bottle tops seem to be as deep as every detector can reach. 10-13" or so. Deepest coins I've pulled is about a 8" dime. The park is heavily watered now days. Most of the park is good black soil, I'd say easy to medium digging. What u guys think the deepest silver should be?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2016 01:50PM by Kickindirt.
Re: How deep should I expect to find silver coins in 1800s park?
March 11, 2016 02:40PM
Kickindirt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The park I'm pretty sure has been used since about
> 1869 when the town was founded. To prove this I
> have dug Indian wars Era military buttons. The
> fort near by was built 1865 I believe. Most of the
> older silver and penny's have been 1900- 1945
> coins mostly. My oldest coin is a 1877 dime that
> was about 4" next to a tree that possibility kept
> it from going deeper. Pull tabs and old rusted
> bottle tops seem to be as deep as every detector
> can reach. 10-13" or so. Deepest coins I've pulled
> is about a 8" dime. The park is heavily watered
> now days. Most of the park is good black soil, I'd
> say easy to medium digging. What u guys think the
> deepest silver should be?
At every depth. You can be sure that the easy ones are gone. Now you must do your best to unmask and/or go deeper. You'll have to up your game! What machines are you using here?

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
March 11, 2016 03:08PM
Down to whatever the hard pan is at in your area.
March 11, 2016 03:09PM
I would think for the most part 6 inches plus but around large trees the roots push them up and an inch or three is possible...
March 11, 2016 03:28PM
I've pulled Indian Heads at 11" in a park with a Sovereign. All older coins were 4" and deeper.
March 11, 2016 03:48PM
Khouse the deepest machine I've used is my xp deus with 9" coil. Had a f75 Ltd but didn't spend much time at this particular park with it.
March 11, 2016 04:30PM
It depends on the grass how much water it gets but I would say a large penny could sink close to 12 inches did they replant the lawn to put in a watering system...Look for the oldest part of the park where trees are but they don't really do much to the area..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 11, 2016 05:46PM
I guess my question would be if I'm pulling bottle caps at 10" will coins also be that deep too? I'm guessing so but just wondering what everyone else's experience had been . I may need to get a deeper detector like a minelab lol
March 11, 2016 06:51PM
I dug a SLQ at a measured 11" deep with my F75 LTD at an old park that dates back to the mid 1800s, so if a coin from the 1920's was that deep, imagine how deep the coins are from the 1800s.
March 11, 2016 07:07PM
I think ur right, I may have to invest in a deep machine just for this park
March 11, 2016 09:25PM
Water,grass and fertile organic soil = deep
Thing that stops coin here in n.w Florida is when it hit the clay,could be at the surface but average of 8"-12",,but in a bootom it could be 3'-4' so coins there have long been covered up by runoff.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2016 03:37AM by supertraq.
March 11, 2016 09:35PM
Kickindirt Wrote:
> I guess my question would be if I'm pulling bottle
> caps at 10" will coins also be that deep too?

Kinda hate to say this, but the 1800s coins you're looking for will probably be much deeper than the bottle caps.

I dig rusty bottle caps (that have no identifiable markings) at that very same depth...along with 1920's and 1930's coins.
I think that the bottle caps of that era were the pull tabs of the 70's.

Those early 1800's coins will be deeper...unless you've got 'hardpan' to stop them.
(Mostly around my sites, there is seldom 'hardpan'. After the sandy dirt, it's just bedrock...and it can be over 5 feet down in places.)

Good luck,
mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2016 09:39PM by Mike in CO.
March 11, 2016 10:09PM
That would be question maybe only you can answer..

So many variables...

Loamy soil

Clay soil

Past backfill

Etc...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 11, 2016 10:11PM
"How long is a piece of string?"
March 12, 2016 01:11AM
Well thanks everyone for ur opinions and input
March 12, 2016 01:23AM
If there are any old growth woods near the park I would hit that hard. Sink rate is almost nill in the woods with constant leaf litter.
March 12, 2016 01:29AM
You could be dealing with fill-in dirt. I feel (and this is my own personal opinion) if your finding 10" bottle caps, most likely this could of been filled in at one time from the town / city parks department or the parks department completed some form of construction work digging up the ground and when everything was placed back and smoothed out, the bottle caps just ended up deep. This is what happened near me. The city tore the whole park area up and pushed and shoved dirt around like it was a big playground. When all the work was completed I was finding can slaw, and bottle tops at depths you speak of. Best of luck!

Kickindirt Wrote:
> I guess my question would be if I'm pulling bottle
> caps at 10" will coins also be that deep too? I'm
> guessing so but just wondering what everyone
> else's experience had been . I may need to get a
> deeper detector like a minelab lol
March 12, 2016 02:44AM
If they replanted a lot of the times they use fill dirt that has trash mixed in so it could be trash is deep and the coins are gone...could be

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 12, 2016 03:04AM
EPL II Wrote:
> You could be dealing with fill-in dirt. I feel
> (and this is my own personal opinion) if your
> finding 10" bottle caps, most likely this could of
> been filled in at one time from the town / city
> parks department or the parks department completed
> some form of construction work digging up the
> ground and when everything was placed back and
> smoothed out, the bottle caps just ended up deep.
> This is what happened near me. The city tore the
> whole park area up and pushed and shoved dirt
> around like it was a big playground. When all the
> work was completed I was finding can slaw, and
> bottle tops at depths you speak of. Best of luck!
>
>
>
>
I hunted a site today where a Grange Hall existed years ago. There was a large apple orchard on the site up until a few years ago when the trees were torn out. They must have plowed deep after the trees were removed because I was digging 12" deep canslaw left by the pickers. Did manage 1 IH in a short hunt.

Tom
March 12, 2016 03:49AM
If you ever see fresh planted shrubs etc.check around them as I've found old coins that they dug up and put back around the plant.
Found two buffs in a few mins.one time in a park where they had removed a couple of big oaks and you could see the depressions in the ground with a ring of soil around the depressions where dirt fell,two buffs in ten mins. One in each pile,buffs have been the hardest to find for me.
Musta been cool even back then and got snapped up.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
March 12, 2016 04:15AM
I did talk to one old timers that said he helped put in thevery sprinkler system and said he saw some neat stuff come out of the ground. Guessing they prob did put in fill dirt then. I should've ask him dang it
March 12, 2016 10:26AM
You mentioned " Indian Wars " sites, so I am thinking you are in Florida. I live in Fl., too, & experience the same problem with depth. Some of the places I have hunted yield 1970 -1980's coins at 10" deep. No older coins are to be found ! I know there MUST be older coins in those areas, but most are already too deep for today's detectors .
March 12, 2016 01:53PM
If you go back...... even just 100 years ago............... coins were much more prevalent. Paper money was substantially less popular. This is to say........ coins were much more circulated (and subsequently lost).

What you are trying to determine is the 'local' condition target sink-rate.
If you are finding 1940's coins (that were dropped in the 1960's) at a depth of 10".................. then, you are achieving 1960's soil strata with today's limited detection depth capabilities. If you are achieving 1960's depth stratification levels at various locations all over the park/location...... this a pretty good indication that you have soft (bad sink-rate) soil............... or ........... possibly fill-dirt.

So, at what depth is the 1920's depth strata layer? How about the 1869 depth strata layer. There is only one methodology to achieve this data. Core samples..... and/or Archaeological Phase-2 (pit dig) excavation technique(s).
March 12, 2016 06:12PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> If you go back...... even just 100 years
> ago............... coins were much more prevalent.
> Paper money was substantially less popular. This
> is to say........ coins were much more circulated
> (and subsequently lost).
>
> What you are trying to determine is the 'local'
> condition target sink-rate.
> If you are finding 1940's coins (that were dropped
> in the 1960's) at a depth of 10"..................
> then, you are achieving 1960's soil strata with
> today's limited detection depth capabilities. If
> you are achieving 1960’s depth stratification
> levels at various locations all over the
> park/location...... this a pretty good indication
> that you have soft (bad sink-rate)
> soil............... or ........... possibly
> fill-dirt.
>
> So, at what depth is the 1920's depth strata
> layer? How about the 1869 depth strata layer.
> There is only one methodology to achieve this
> data. Core samples..... and/or Archaeological
> Phase-2 (pit dig) excavation technique(s).

good point Tom thx, now that u made me think, the only 2 finds in the open deep area that could possible have fill dirt cause of trees was a 1940s merc and a old small womens silver ring both at about 8’’. All other finds were next to large trees, where i was chopping thru roots to get them, deepest prob 4-5’’ max. So im gonna say there is definitely potential of coins past the 8’’ mark. The 8’’ dime and ring were both found with my atgold at the time. I gonna say that 8’’ was about the max depth that machine has. Thx
March 12, 2016 07:41PM
If you own a Explorer/Etrac or any CZ then Super Deep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!smoking smiley
March 12, 2016 09:21PM
If gold nuggets are where you find 'em, it could be said silver coins are wherever silver coins are.

Which is to say they could be shallow, or deep, and anywhere in-between, and certainly far enough down that the detector will never find them, though you'd never know it if that was the case.

In parks and schools I've found a few deep old coins and assumed they sank, then a few meters away find a relatively shallow old coin, which ...didn't sink? I can imagine various scenarios to explain the difference, but in the end you just listen for that coin-like signal and dig 'em all. The old silver coins will be where ever they are.

john
March 13, 2016 11:24AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> If you own a Explorer/Etrac or any CZ then Super
> Deep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!smoking smiley

We have used good performing CZ's in my location & the coins must be deeper than its range. LONG GONE !!
March 13, 2016 09:53PM
Targets get covered up, sink, and get moved around. Watch your soil as u dig.....you may find dirt has been moved around and will have various density based on people movement or tree lines. DES .... you are right.... like where is the gold
March 15, 2016 05:05PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> If you own a Explorer/Etrac or any CZ then Super
> Deep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!smoking smiley

X2
March 16, 2016 04:50AM
Thanks guys for all the tips, right now am big time into ghost town hunting in the iron, think im gonna try out a Racer 2, if a good deal comes up on a Minelab xs or explorer 2 i might grab one also. Now the question is should i keep the xp lol