Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best find both coin and gold jewelry...

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Best find both coin and gold jewelry...
March 25, 2016 03:03PM
1794 large cent and 14Kt. turn of century gold ring on land with 16 diamonds....of course lots of best second finds in between...
Re: Best find both coin and gold jewelry...
March 25, 2016 03:38PM
18th century Bar Copper (or Bar Cent as some call it) = found with Garrett GTA 1000 and 10" elliptical coil in 1997

and

a 7" long 1/4" wide 22kt gold "S" clasp (1800s) bracelet that weighed 20 grams with an art nouveau engraved pattern on it = found with an original (1st run) Fisher CZ20 with 8" coil in 1999

By far the 2 best finds I've ever made for coin and jewelry... The coin from a historical standpoint and the bracelet from a rarity and value standpoint

Sold bar copper for $3200ish (on ebay in 2002)

sold bracelet for $1000 to dealer I know in 2000 and bought Garrett GTI 2500 with 2 box setup from proceeds thumbs down

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 03:42PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
March 25, 2016 09:03PM
I would say on my coin its a toss up..

My 1892 Morgan dollar..Or my 1776 2 Reale's....Morgan just because its the Holy Grail Dollar ...and the 1776 2 Reales because of the Rev war and the birth of America and still represents the Colonial period as well...very fascinating to study the impact of Spanish money in America even till the civil war times..

And for Je...Wow..I'm not a Je hunter ..have found some stuff..But it would have to be a Silver I.D. bracelet I found in a Yard back in about 1990..It was a antebellum home in town here and this Kind elderly woman in her early 90's had given me permission to hunt the yard all I wanted...and man it was loaded with relics...Confederate buttons and silver coins .Bullets,, Reb Buckle..Spur etc...

Well she went to a convalescent home but here daughter let me keep hunting...One day I found a Silver bracelet with the name Robert Cheney on it.. I knew the woman was named Cheney.and the house was built in the civil war by a Cheney family...I showed it to the daughter and she said that my dads name...She started Crying...The daughter was probably 70..

I gave it to her and the next time I went back over to hunt...she had a photo of her momma holding the bracelet...She had bought it for her husband when he went to WW1..But she ended up wearing it while he was away and she lost it after he came back home from the war.....he died in the early 80's the daughter told me...And the daughter never remembered seeing it..so it must of been lost maybe in the 20's...She said the women cried and cried when she saw it...

I guess that my best Je find

Keiths

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 25, 2016 09:15PM
1832 half dime in excellent condition found with original goldmax in iron infested site.

3 kt diamond platinum ring that I returned. Found with Excalibur

John
March 26, 2016 09:43AM
1882 Silver dollar found during the renovation of an old horse racing track from the late 1800's. It was in use as the High School football field in later years and then regraded to make soccer and baseball fields in 2000-2001. Found with a CZ-5, shallow and gave a response like a pop can.

1897 20kt gold wedding band with Swedish Hallmarks found wading with the ID Edge.
March 26, 2016 01:05PM
Coin. On my own property, I found what you guys would consider an insignificant coin find. For me though, it meant a lot for it to have came off my own property and it represented a couple firsts for me. The coin is an 1858 O half dime. It was my first half dime and first seated coin. It is probably the best condition old coin I have ever found.

Jewelry. I'm not a jewelry hunter either but I have found a few pieces here and there. I guess the best find was a ring that I was asked to come look for...if that counts as a find. It was a mans gold Masonic ring. I'm not a Mason so to me, it was just another ring. It became quite apparent after I found it for the gentlemen, that it meant quite a bit more to him than just another ring. I've found lost wedding bands, and engagement rings for people, and I have found and returned lost class rings for people. But NEVER have I had the reaction and response as I did with this fella over that Mason's ring.
March 26, 2016 02:00PM
Howdy,

...You guys are telling some great stories, the personal touch that was written when something lost is returned. I have returned 8 out of 10 class rings and the 1938 high school class ring that I returned touched me the most. The lady had passed and the ring went to her daughter, the story made it to 2 different local town newspapers. Some of the returns did not go all that well, never heard from one person who had his class class ring returned...oh well.

..My best coin find was a pair of 1866 2¢ pieces found in the same yard along with a couple of shield nickels. The elderly lady that lived there told me that I could use my 'Geiger counter' to find coins but she told me I probably would not find much as many people had tried before me...lol... I did not find a single silver coin in that yard, just lower conductors like Buffalo nickels, shield nickels, 2¢ pieces and Indian head pennies, it had been high graded years before I ever got there.
March 26, 2016 06:49PM
Believe it or not, the 1885 half eagle I found was less of a thrill than a 1696 silver shilling.
As far as jewelry,.. don't go after it but they get dug every now and then. I guess what sticks in my mind is a 60's college ring I found,....couldn't make out the name etched inside. Just remembered, found a cuff link from the 1700's with a fox etched in it.
March 26, 2016 08:03PM
Well,, my best coin for me anyways--- Spanish 2 bit--- made between 1781-1820 I think when I researched--- you can see a lot of markings on it properly identify.

And for gold,,, a ring I found for a person who called me needing help.

I have tried to find a couple more rings for folks-- rings that were literally thrown out with the dish water,,the owners though elderly were unsure if they were silver or gold .

The gold dollar--- that's the one I would like to get lucky and find,,but beggars can't be picky.

Nice thread here btw Dan.
March 27, 2016 02:21AM
Found two EF condition 1895 0 Barber dimes worth over a thousand each but the 1853 1 dollar gold coin was way more exciting and a very large mans gold 14k class ring. Never sell much i find but since I had 2 1895 0 dimes sold one on Ebay for $1,000.00 smiling smiley
March 27, 2016 03:40PM
I absolutely love old coins. They are right up there with CW stuff for me, as far as the thrill goes.
But I have to say my favorite is a 1988. Because of its color.

And jewelry; well it's pretty much a byproduct of my search for coins. There were a couple of cuff links found in a Confederate camp. And the gold wedding band I found on a trip to the Bentonville, NC battleground that was lost on his previous trip there by the fella who took me there. But again, my favorite has to be the nice ring that had as its setting, my favorite coin find, as mentioned above.

Incidentally, this 14K gold filagree ring and 1988 Saint-Gaudens $5 gold coin was found on the 24th wedding anniversary of me to my wonderful wife, Cindy.

[www.usacoinbook.com]

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
March 27, 2016 04:36PM
Best coin - 2nd century Roman coin, minted in Mesopotamia, found outside Riyadh, Saudi Arabia - value, probably $10!

Best jewelry - $15,000 antique emerald ring. Easiest find I ever made - a neighbor in Oman borrowed my metal detector (I had the only one that I know of in Oman) and found it at th beach where his wife had lost it - my cut was a kiss from the happy wife and a bottle of good Scotch.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 27, 2016 05:49PM
A 1920's 14 KT. Mason ring. And a 1901-o Barber Quarter AU.
And Yes I looked long and hard for a S mint mark. LOL!
March 27, 2016 08:55PM
1886 'V' Nickel.

2.7ct men's diamond ring. Sold for over $10,000.00 around 1982.
March 27, 2016 10:00PM
I have found 3 Morgan dollars in 40 + years of detecting, 1 I no longer recall the date and the last 2 were a 1900 and 1921s. Most valuable coin was a 1896s Barber quarter just a couple of years ago in a old fairgrounds up in Mn. Numerous pieces of gold jewelry over the years, but nothing more valuable then $1200.00 which I sold to a jeweler friend some years ago. HH jim tn
March 27, 2016 10:45PM
This is probably my best gold jewelry find:

Funny story on it. I was using my old Fisher F70, and it was raining and snowing, and I wasn't finding squat. I was working my way back to the car, and got a foil/nickel bouncer on the F70, and as I went down to dig it, I looked across the street at an old church and said please God let this be something good! I dug the target and out came a dull gold colored metallic object with grass roots growing thru it. At first I thought it was a smashed wine bottle screw cap, and thought well it's kind of heavy for that, and thumbed some dirt off of it on the back, and though hmm, I flipped it over and started to thumb some more dirt off and say the center of it, and though wait a minute, it might be a religious medallion. I took it to a water puddle and started to wash it off and then the channel set jewels started to show up and I knew it was something good. Took it home and cleaned it up and was pretty amazed at what I'd found. Here's the rest of the loot from that trip:

Best coin, hmm....perhaps a bust half dollar, or a coin spill with a Morgan silver dollar. No, come to think of it, I found a seated half dollar and a CC seated quarter on a trip I made with an old detecting friend and my father:

hh,
Brian
March 28, 2016 12:45AM
Toss up between my trime or 17__ reale. My trime is worn a bit but I love that coin. The Reale is cool as I found it on my family's land and with a fair degree of certainty know I found it 151 years to the day that a rebel soldier lost it on a rainy day in april along the retreat.

Got a jewelry kick a couple years ago. Found alot of smaller items, but did get a hanker men's 14k with some kind of large, purple gemstone my mom had put into a necklace.
March 30, 2016 01:20AM
My best coin finds have been the 4 1/2 Reales
I have found only a few gold rings over the years but a 1 crt diamond engagement ring has been my best