Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My rundown on the 85th Anniversary F75....(video)

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: My rundown on the 85th Anniversary F75....(video)
August 06, 2016 01:35PM
nice, informative video, Keith, and somewhere I took a detour and saw your picture. Have to admit I've been trying to put a face to your voice and videos for some time. Still want to see it (face) in a video some time while you are talking. Ought to do wonders for your subscriptions <g>.

Wayne

ps really enjoyed the detour through your genealogy posts and also Ferrous Bueller's. Are you on any genealogy forums? Is there a forum specifically for civil war ancestry discussion and sharing, ie, photos and info? That would be a fun one to follow.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
August 06, 2016 02:45PM
I think it's great I can finally put a face to the well known voice. smiling smiley For some strange reason I always had a vision that Keith wore a white Stetson hat... even though he's not from Texas!

August 06, 2016 04:16PM
it seems the manual is right on the standard version..

And maybe backwards on the boosted version??

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 06, 2016 04:22PM
LOL Wayne..

Don't care much about people seeing me ..I just want them to be able to have access my thoughts and see my demos if there so inclined..not trying to to shop a reality show..LOL

Yes the genealogy is very addictive...not sure on the forums aspect but I'm sure there out there..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 11, 2016 08:56PM
Hey Keith what u choose for high minerization and high iron sites? Newest version f75 or g2+ and why? Price not being a factor.
August 11, 2016 09:16PM
Kickindirt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Keith what u choose for high minerization and
> high iron sites? Newest version f75 or g2+ and
> why? Price not being a factor.

Fors Relic..

It's like a G2+ put on Steroids..

the G2 Plus is a fine machine but I will state it again the Relic is so amped up it the most powerful 19Khz unit I've ever ran..and the audio takes it to another level in iron over a G2+

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 11, 2016 10:22PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Kickindirt Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey Keith what u choose for high minerization
> and
> > high iron sites? Newest version f75 or g2+ and
> > why? Price not being a factor.
>
>
> Fors Relic..
>
> It's like a G2+ put on Steroids..
>
> the G2 Plus is a fine machine but I will state it
> again the Relic is so amped up it the most
> powerful 19Khz unit I've ever ran..and the audio
> takes it to another level in iron over a G2+
>
> Keith

Thats cool Keith, i cant handle the tank on stick setup tho. If they made the fors relic in a racer 2 housing id be all over it. I tried the fors gold + and couldnt stand the button in middle of the pistol grip. Deal breaker for me. It seemed to handle my hot ground just fine and performed great. Seriously box on a stick tho.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2016 10:47PM by Kickindirt.
August 11, 2016 10:59PM
Damn, Keith's a young buck.
August 12, 2016 12:20AM
Lol if I'm young digger...someone needs to tell my body...lol..

just happy to have detected almost my while life..

Hope I can get another 40 in the field ..well at least try for 30 more..lol

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 12, 2016 03:27AM
At 49 I'm right there with you Keith. I've always been of the belief that it's not the years, it's the mileage that'll kill ya.
August 12, 2016 07:51PM
Kickindirt
Hey Keith what u choose for high minerization and high iron sites? Newest version f75 or g2+ and why? Price not being a factor.

Keith Southern
Fors Relic..

It's like a G2+ put on Steroids..

the G2 Plus is a fine machine but I will state it again the Relic is so amped up it the most powerful 19Khz unit I've ever ran.. and the audio takes it to another level in iron over a G2+

Keith
Joel, I know you didn't ask me, but I am with Keith 100% on that conclusion. I had two (2) Fisher F19s and found them 'improved' over the G2 and Gold Bug Pro (same detectors) making them a better 19 kHz model, but ....

They still had something lacking on depth and being responsive to higher-conductive targets, and there were other things they lacked, such as being able to handle my Nail Board Performance Test well. As for the Teknetics G2+, it is the same guts as the Fisher F19, but I do prefer the G2/G2+/Omega rod, grip and housing design. As for the F75, I had one and I actually preferred my Teknetics T2 (original or Classic offering) better, and I compared them together using their own 5" DD coils in several Oregon iron filled ghost towns..

But those are 13 kHz models and the Nokta FORS CoRe at 15 kHz out-performed both of them in the dense iron littered sites I hunt, and I even liked the CoRe better than the F19's for balance and overall performance. However, I picked up the F19's because of the added features they offered. I liked some of the features, but didn't care for the balance and handling in really dense iron nails, and you know the types of sites I like to hunt ... (such as we'll work on the 4th WTHO Sept. 1st to 11th in Nevada).

Keeping in the 13 kHz to 15 kHz operating frequency range, I vastly favor the 14 kHz Makro Racer 2 when I put it up against the F75, T2 'Classic', and White's MXT Pro and MX5 in all of the dense iron littered sites I hunt in Oregon, Nevada, Utah and elsewhere when I want to have the extra features like Tone Break or Iron Audio Volume control, etc. Without those extra features I'll grab the FORS CoRe, but either the CoRe or Racer 2 gets the job done with the added adjustments we find on some of the newer models.

If you want to push the limits and use a higher frequency detector, such as the 19 kHz Fisher Gold Bug Pro or F19, or the same-same Teknetics G2 and newer G2+, then you can set those all in the closet of prop them up next to the 'For Sale' sign because they don't match what Nokta brings to the market. The FORS Gold + is the 'simple' approach and works great with its two, 2-Tone Discriminate modes, and it really grabbed my attention and was the first model that put the halt to the G2 and F19 interests I had at that frequency.

Then came a prototype model that was very close to what I wanted in a serious Relic Hunting unit (and that seems to mirror Keith's wishes), and the R&D Team at Nokta/Makro were very open to communicate what changes we felt might be necessary or helpful. Quickly we had a Revised Prototype that was the best answer to my wants and needs ... and it came with a suggested name change that Keith & I agreed with ... The FORS Relic. The 19 kHz Relic is my #1 all-purpose detector because it works great, doing what I want and need it to do, and I haven't come across a rival.

I know you tried a Gold + but were not comfortable with the grip and pushbutton. Make it to the WTHO and I'll let you try a Relic, which has the Pushbutton, as well as a CoRe, that has the rocker-type trigger for Pinpointing. Maybe you'll feel a difference between them and you can get a Relic and swap the handgrip for the Rocker-switch, if you wanted to. Otherwise, if it wasn't a Relic in my hand I'd gladly put the Racer 2 up against an F19 or any Fisher/Tek 19 kHz cousin and not have a concern about performance.

Keith's reference to being 'sparkly' is something you have to experience using some of these excellent detector models.

Keith Southern
Lol if I'm young digger...someone needs to tell my body...lol..

just happy to have detected almost my while life..

Keith
Isn't it frustrating when the body isn't as young and 'sparky' as the mind. In my noggin I have the same burning desire to get out and hunt as much as possible, ... but between my mobility issues that slow me down and the uncanny ability to fall asleep at all sorts of random times, then factor in a little constant pain I live with, and "Not so young anymore" would be a fitting description.

Keith, young man, you're 20 years younger than me, and haven't be around as long as I have been detecting (I started my 52nd year last March), but I am with you because the spirit that drives my desires onward also would like to keep at this great sport for a long time to come.

Monte
August 12, 2016 08:59PM
Borneo_Bleeper Wrote:
> I think it's great I can finally put a face to the
> well known voice. smiling smiley For some strange reason I
> always had a vision that Keith wore a white
> Stetson hat... even though he's not from Texas!
>
> [i1279.photobucket.com]
> Keith_zpsevgclhtv.jpg

Man Keith----Anybody ever tell you---you look a LOT like Clint Eastwood!!!!!!!!!!!!!grinning smiley
August 12, 2016 10:07PM
Thx Monte i will definitely see ya in September, maybe u can talk that Keith guy into going and bring all his toys. That would be hella cool!
October 27, 2016 01:50AM
Someone please help. I am so confused. The 85th anniversary, which detector is it ? The Fisher site has two versions. The Fisher F75 Ltd with boost and cache and the F75. Both have fast process and DST. I value Southern's opinion and I do not want to get the wrong one.
October 27, 2016 02:00AM
It's the one without boost or cache.
It's the one that is being advertised for $599...but you can actually buy for $500 from most dealers.
October 27, 2016 02:44PM
Thanks Diggwr27
October 28, 2016 10:44AM
I always pictured you in overalls with a big ZZ Top style beard.
October 28, 2016 11:49AM
Like Uncle Jesse in "The Dukes of Hazzard" ?
March 01, 2017 07:31AM
Bill long Wrote:
> Keith, I've been watching your videos and reading
> your posts for 5 or 6 years now. And all that time
> I thought of you as a harry armed big ole tennis s
> hoe. It was like having the disc. set too high and
> missing those deeper masked targets. Now I can put
> a face with the voice. That's awesome. Thanks for
> all you do for this hobby in such a non controver
> sial way. smileys with beer

Voice and face don't match do they,lol
I was picturing an old fart. Hell he's just a young'n

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
March 01, 2017 11:07AM
I guess I forgot Keith rides a horse!!----Sorta like "have gun (detector) will travel"!----Good lookin young fella!thumbs downgrinning smiley
March 03, 2017 04:32AM
I have two fellows i take from time to time both will only hunt with fishers, and have been for years, I take them places we dig stuff they never dig nothing.
March 03, 2017 10:14PM
Potomac run Wrote:
> I have two fellows i take from time to time both w
> ill only hunt with fishers, and have been for year
> s, I take them places we dig stuff they never dig
> nothing.

A friend of mine and I both bought our at golds at the same time. In the old ghost town iron I swung low and slow, aways had good finds. My friend always had his coil to high and swinging to fast. He was always mad cause he never finds anything. Finally had to hit him over the head with a hammer before he listened and swung low and slow lol. Prob same with ur two fellows swinging fishers