Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Class ring returned 48 years after being lost.

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Class ring returned 48 years after being lost.
October 28, 2016 12:17AM
Yesterday I was out hunting in a private yard when I uncovered a class ring from 1968. The school is in Massachusetts, I'm in NM, with initials GLM. Lecia, my wife, found a Facebook page for the class of 1968, Lynn English HS. I posted my story and within a day I had tracked down the owners wife, unfortunately, he had passed away 7 years ago. The ring is now on its was to his wife in Ma after being lost since 1968. Here's what she told me about how it may have ended up here ..........

"Hello, Dan. My, this story sounded a little odd but I just checked out that LEHS class of 1968 page. Gary died seven years ago. But back in '68, he and his buddies bought a used VW van and drove west to California. I don't know the route they took, but they could have gone through New Mexico. We had a great life. Thanks for getting in touch."

I was sent his obituary by a former classmate, sounds like a guy who could have been a fellow metal detectorist.

"Gary Lee Mitchell, age 59, of Lynn, died Tuesday, May 5, 2009, in Union Hospital, after a brief illness. He was the beloved husband of Nadine (Hashem) Mitchell for 29 years, and the son of Lila (Hoben) Mitchell and the late Arthur Mitchell. Born in Lewiston, Maine, he was raised in Lynn where he lived most of his life. A graduate of Lynn English High School, class of 1968, he was a supervisor for the former Malco Industries on Eastern Avenue in Lynn for over thirty years. He enjoyed fishing and spending time outdoors in nature. Together with his wife Nadine, Gary traveled to England, Rome and Sicily. They spent time on Sanibel Island in Florida hunting for fossils and enjoying the beach. Gary was a coin collector, and an avid reader with a special love for Roman and Greek history. He was a member of the American Numismatic Association."

This is the second ring I've found that had been lost for 40+ years and I was able to track down the owner though Facebook.
Re: Class ring returned 48 years after being lost.
October 28, 2016 12:27AM
I love reading stories like this, glad that you found the ring, the owner, and that its on its way back home. Thanks for posting this Dan.
October 28, 2016 12:29AM
That is a great story Dan and mighty good of you to track down the owner.

Thank you for sharing the story.

Randy
October 28, 2016 12:40AM
Thanks guys. I asked to join the Lynn English class of 1968 page and within 10 minutes I was accepted. I posted my story about finding the ring and within 30 minutes 2 ladies from Ma. identified the owner. There were several other ladies who helped me track down his wife and I made contact today and off to Ma. it goes smiling smiley It was almost like it was meant to find it's way home.

iskirkra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is a great story Dan and mighty good of you
> to track down the owner.
>
> Thank you for sharing the story.
>
> Randy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2016 12:43AM by Dan(NM).
October 28, 2016 12:48AM
Dan(NM) Wrote:
> Thanks guys. I asked to join the Lynn English
> class of 1968 page and within 10 minutes I was
> accepted. I posted my story about finding the ring
> and within 30 minutes 2 ladies from Ma. identified
> the owner. There were several other ladies who
> helped me track down his wife and I made contact
> today and off to Ma. it goes smiling smiley It was almost like
> it was meant to find it's way home.
>
>
>
> iskirkra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That is a great story Dan and mighty good of
> you
> > to track down the owner.
> >
> > Thank you for sharing the story.
> >
> > Randy

You are awesome, Dan! Great story!
October 28, 2016 01:06AM
That's awesome, excellent story and return!
October 28, 2016 02:05AM
So cool!! I love stories like this!!

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
October 28, 2016 03:42AM
Great story. Kudos to you, Dan! thumbs down
October 28, 2016 06:19AM
Good things come from good deeds. Nice return.
October 28, 2016 09:35AM
Way cool! Good job Dan.
MAM
October 28, 2016 09:58AM
Great story. The neat thing about class rings is that you have a chance of finding the owner. Must be a really rewarding feeling. I found a diamond engagement ring in the surf at Nags Head a few years back, but no chance of finding that owner. The style reminded me of my mother's ring, who was 85 at the time, so I'm assuming that the lady who lost it had warn it for many, many years. Or, possibly, it had been handed down to a daughter, or granddaughter. Would love to return it, (and to know the ring's story)

Mike
October 28, 2016 01:15PM
The apotheosis of humanity. Noble!!!
Simply awesome!!! Many thanks for sharing.
October 28, 2016 01:33PM
Great job!!

You know it's interesting how class rings are. When you are in school, they seem like a "must have" item to show your status as a Senior and graduating. But as soon as you are out of school, they lose their luster. I was like everybody else; had to have one for school. I graduated 16 years ago and never wore mine after the summer I graduated. It has been in a safe ever since. I occasionally pull it out of the safe to signal check on a new metal detector but never wear it.

Then again I was the same way with my wedding band. I found out that some single women go after married men like a beacon if they see a ring on their finger. But if you don't wear a ring, they assume you are single and leave you alone. Weird how that works. I don't wear mine partially for that very reason. lol
October 28, 2016 01:40PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Great job!!
>
> You know it's interesting how class rings are.
> When you are in school, they seem like a "must
> have" item to show your status as a Senior and
> graduating. But as soon as you are out of school,
> they lose their luster. I was like everybody
> else; had to have one for school. I graduated 16
> years ago and never wore mine after the summer I
> graduated. It has been in a safe ever since. I
> occasionally pull it out of the safe to signal
> check on a new metal detector but never wear it.
>
>

Lol. same here, I haven't worn mine since 1979 after I almost torn my finger off when I caught it on commercial door handle. It's sitting in my treasure box along with my other finds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2016 02:23PM by Dan(NM).
October 28, 2016 02:08PM
Great job Dan--thanks for the story and your selfless deed.
October 28, 2016 03:34PM
Nice job on the return. Social Media has its pitfalls but also some good too>

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
October 28, 2016 06:31PM
Thanks guys for the kinds words, very satisfying to get it back to his wife.
October 30, 2016 12:47PM
Congratulations on the find, and to you and your wife on the research and return. I'm sure it means a lot to the owner's wife to have it back. Thanks for posting the story.
November 01, 2016 07:56PM
Great story and great effort!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla