Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Where is a good place to read up on the Etrac and Safari?

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Where is a good place to read up on the Etrac and Safari?
January 27, 2017 09:12PM
I want to get a real good multi-frequency coin detector this year to compliment my F75/V3 combo. Looking to buy new. Right now I'm kind of bouncing around the eTrac, Safari, and CZ3D. I have good info on the CZ3D, but I don't have the same info for the eTrac or Safari. If wanted information for making an intelligent decision about those where would I go?

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Re: Where is a good place to read up on the Etrac and Safari?
January 27, 2017 10:05PM
Here is link.

This link actually result of advanced search here using

Etrac as title

Author NASA-Tom
All dates
Select Dankowski forum only,,,uncheck the other option.

You could also do for example another search,,,,and use Keith Southern name in author block.

And so on,,,depending on who you think could help you.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 10:07PM by tnsharpshooter.
January 27, 2017 10:10PM
Thanks TNSS.

Mike
January 27, 2017 10:10PM
This is a pretty good site.........[www.goes4ever.com]
January 27, 2017 10:25PM
Thanks Don!
Mike
January 27, 2017 11:54PM
Excellent info in here...been following it for years..

[www.minelabowners.com]

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
wjs
January 28, 2017 12:33AM
I have owned all three of them and right now have a Safari. If money is no object I would go with the Etrac. I know you said you were going to buy new but you can pick up a good safari in the $400 range if you look around. They are about a deep as the Etrac and are accurate too.
January 28, 2017 02:46AM
A good read is Andy S's book on etrac's. If you want to know the in between's of what Andy is saying to fine tune and get more specific.....read posts by some of the greats...Throwing Keith Southerns name into the mix. Well deserved. The e-trac will go down as a killer unit of the decade. My opinion, of course.
January 28, 2017 09:15AM
How much deep iron do people dig running the ML units? I saw the Safari call a deep coin iron that the Omega correctly ID'd as a high conductor. User error? Left me scratching my head especially since the Safari is supposed to be the KISS version..

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2017 09:17AM by Jackpine.
wjs
January 28, 2017 12:36PM

How much deep iron do people dig running the ML units?

No doubt I have dug some deep iron that sounded and looked good on the ML machines But I have also dug targets that other detector could not hit either. I would not say they are deep iron magnets but you will occasionally dig some deep iron. I like the fact that they wont false on steel bottlecaps like most every other detector with a DD coil will. This makes hunting in the real trashy parks nice.
January 28, 2017 01:55PM
Jackpine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How much deep iron do people dig running the ML un
> its? I saw the Safari call a deep coin iron that
> the Omega correctly ID'd as a high conductor. Use
> r error? Left me scratching my head especially sin
> ce the Safari is supposed to be the KISS version..
>
> Tom

The key to getting to the deep stuff,,,and limit amount of deep iron,,,PAY attention to cursor,,,its location,,,how the cursor responds as the coil is swept over.
Cursor,,,will many times actually be low on the screen like 28-30,,,,, cursor will be pulled down,,,as the coil passes,,,if a nonferrous target is present,,,,,cursor will try and bump up on the screen,,,can have erratic position,,,but anything above 27 line,,,,,could be a good nonferrous target.

Usually when a person is digging too much deep iron using etrac,,,,,they are desperate,,,,more likely digging signals they shouldn't be based on overall tone,,tone's tendencies,,and cursor's reactions.

Any quality deeper detector,,,some iron will be dug though.

Comes with the territory.

I dug a silver ring once,,,9.5" deep in the worst of iron using etrac and 10x12 SEF coil. I wish I could have had that entire detecting scenario on camera,,,the full detecting,,screen shots,,audio heard,,,and actual dig.

Eye opener,,,,some folks likely would have kept walking,,,,btw no other worthy finds in this particualr area (with 50 ft radius) discovered previously. So I was definitely flying solo here,,,going after a challenged target.
January 29, 2017 11:10PM
Thanks everyone.

I think I might still have Andy's Etrac book. I got a copy with a Explorer SE I bought. But I don't remember if I kept the book or passed it along when I sold the detector. I liked the Explorers but don't want to buy something I can't get fixed anymore.

I'll have to dig around.

But anyways....thanks everyone. All this will help me very much.

HH
Mike