Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wish I never parted with.......

Posted by woodchiphustler 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Wish I never parted with.......
January 28, 2017 08:48AM
My Fisher F19. Never got the following it should have. My Whites 4900. Got my ear tuned to that one and it rewarded me many times over. What about you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2017 08:52AM by woodchiphustler.
wjs
Re: Wish I never parted with.......
January 28, 2017 12:37PM

My Fisher F19

I had a real good one that would ID real deep and accurate. I got rid of it but tried a couple more after that and never got one as good as that one.
January 29, 2017 11:22PM
Troy X5
January 29, 2017 11:30PM
Me two . I had a couple. One of the finest ever!
January 29, 2017 11:44PM
Once it is time to move on...it's time to move forward

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 29, 2017 11:55PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once it is time to move on...it's time to move for
> ward

YES SIR!!!------Move on----move forward---TO THE F-19!!!!!!!!!!!!grinning smileythumbs down
January 30, 2017 12:33AM
I liked the F19 but kept the racer 1

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 30, 2017 01:16AM
Folks may have different response(s) here to this thread,,, given time.

winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2017 01:20AM by tnsharpshooter.
January 30, 2017 02:02AM
I had a good F19 but much prefer my Racer 2. Sorry I didn't keep my Compass Gold Scanner Pro from back in 1989 or so. Really nice all around detector.
January 30, 2017 09:22AM
the original 1266xb's with the white coil and twin stacked boards that dang thing was Deeeeeep!!
January 30, 2017 11:06AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Folks may have different response(s) here to this
> thread,,, given time.
>
> winking smiley

Two ways to take that

New stuff puts ALL to shame

Old stuff BETTER than anything new on the boards.

LOL

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
January 30, 2017 01:00PM
Wish I never parted with .......

The longer we've been enjoying this sport, the more models we might consider. When I was younger and healthier I spent more time Coin Hunting wide-open parks and such and enjoyed my XLT's and XL Pro's as I felt they were the cream-of-the-crop for the moderate-to-fast sweep detectors. I'd let one go to try something else, then reacquire one again. I had 27 XLT's since early '94 and I enjoyed all of them. But they are gone from my arsenal and while I have good memories from using them, they just aren't a practical 'fit' anymore.

I've let modified Classic ID and IDX Pro's go and ... for a while ... I regretted doing that and wished I had one back. A few times I'd reacquire one, but soon they were gone for an assortment of reasons. Most of the older detector designs have been replaced with several modern, better featured and better performing detectors for the types of hunting I prefer to do the most, so I am comfortable with what I have. There are very, very few 'older' detectors that can provide the lighter weight, balance, fit-and-feel of what we have today. Many, perhaps most former detectors, even though we really enjoyed them and they worked well back then, just seem to come up short in comparison with todays models for what we do.

Most, but not all. For whatever reason a newer release from Fisher, the F19, has drawn a lot of discussion here. I could see the potential in them and the hoped-for improvements over the G2/Gold Bug Pro plus the added features. I got two of the F19's. They were an improvement. I generally liked the packaging. But I found the 5X10 DD coil to be nose-heavy, and I was annoyed that it took a high VDI setting of '38' or '39' out of the '40' ferrous range break point to reject most nails I evaluated it with. The V.4 Omega 8000 only required a '16' / '17' Disc. setting and the G2 was very close to that, not an almost maximum setting which eliminates ferrous range fine-tuning.

In the field and hunting several very iron litter old sites I enjoy Relic Hunting at, the F19's did OK, but they were out-performed by my Nokta FORS CoRe, and Racer 2 which has Iron Audio Volume, and especially by my FORS Relic with similar features and operating at 19 kHz like the F19's. There have been a few other recent models I used to enjoy and temporarily re-acquired, then the reality hit as to why I let them go. They just didn't balance as well and didn't perform as my current detector battery.

There are just two models I can think of that I really admired their performance and limited versatility compared with our modern offerings that I do keep a watch for. The Tesoro Bandido, 'original' model, and the Bandido II. No, they don't provide great depth, but I mainly hunt trashier sites, and although I have my Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX ready-to-go, and they do work reasonably well in dense iron debris with their 6" Concentric coils, the microMAX models do struggle a little in many iron-masking conditions than those two previous models. I attribute the weakness to the Low-Noise/High-Gain circuitry incorporated in the microMAX series and have demonstrated it frequently and experienced it when working several of the iron debris sites in many of the old RR ghost towns I've hunted for decades.

No, they don't provide 'depth' on smaller, coin and token and button-sized targets, but most of those targets are not that deep anyway. They are just masked by the dense amount of close proximity trash and have been missed by others who didn't use the better tool for the task. So I am looking for either or both of those models to add to my working arsenal, and if I really go back-in-time I'd love to find a choice condition and excellent performing Compass 77-Auto. All lot of variance among them and it would have to be an excellent performing specimen.

Until then I am quite content with everything I currently own and use for a variety of hunting needs.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher-1, Makro-1, Minelab-1, Nokta-1, Tesoro-2, White's-1
Garrett MS-3 -- Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
January 30, 2017 01:38PM
My thing is, that I don't stick with just one niche of the hobby of metal detecting. I tend to come and go from old coin hunting, to relic hunting, to beach/jewelry hunting. I don't really do modern coin hunting though and even though my area has gold in it, it isn't big enough to detect with a detector anyway so I don't prospect for it with a detector. So with that said, my detectors come and go with whatever I happen to be doing in the hobby at the time. I tend to have a few models that I like for each particular thing, but don't have "just one" for doing it all. For the most part, I can easily obtain any of the previous model machines I have had. But if I had to say there is one I wish I would have never parted with....it would be one I could probably obtain again but would pay dearly for if I were to get it. It's the Bandido II uMax. It may be just because I haven't had one in my hands in so long that I remember them being better than what they actually were. I have been keeping an eye out for one for a while now but every one that has came up, has been more than I want to pay for one of them. I've also been looking out for a CZ-70 Pro. I have had several CZs over the years but the CZ-70 Pro was the only one I really liked of the models I've had. I've came VERY close to punching the Buy It button on some of them I've seen pop up.
January 30, 2017 02:08PM
woodchiphustler Wrote:
> My Fisher F19. Never got the following it should h
> ave. My Whites 4900. Got my ear tuned to that one
> and it rewarded me many times over. What about you
> ?
surprised you sold the F19 woodchip. I remember you raving about it. but the hobby for you seems to be more related to playing with different machines. nothing wrong with that....
I won't ever sell my G2+.....and I really like my Racer 2 but the poor ergos will eventually cause me to sell it for a replacement...
January 30, 2017 03:44PM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> I had a good F19 but much prefer my Racer 2. Sorry
> I didn't keep my Compass Gold Scanner Pro from bac
> k in 1989 or so. Really nice all around detector.

Loved the model.. Depth Demon of the day!