Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is it just me or does anyone else like a simple machine?

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Is it just me or does anyone else like a simple machine?
March 14, 2017 03:52AM
I'm glad you are happy with the T2 Classic Del it's a lot of bang for your money. I am liking the Tesoro Mojave also what little I've got to use it 1 hunt, my son has fell in love with it and has hunted with it on 4 hunts with great results. It's another machine with a lot of bang for your money.
March 14, 2017 04:09AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's the appeal of the T2-C.
>
> powerful and quiet and SIMPLE to run..
>
> I Actually like the non memory..that way I can qui
> ckly confirm my settings..20 seconds and I'm assur
> ed I'm set up accordingly..
>
> Fresh system reboot every start-up
>
>
> Keith
I agree with you about the T2. Very simple to use and very productive when used properly.
March 14, 2017 04:18AM
The simplest machine would be a single knob, on/off/volume. Automatic sensitivity. Automatic tracking. No disc control, but tonal ID so all the disc is between the ears. What else would you need?
Does anyone else like a simple machine?
March 14, 2017 06:36AM
I want an easy to use, high performance detector that is effective for what I'm doing. Most of my 30+ years of detecting have been coinshooting the yards of old homes. I've had all sorts of detectors over the years; some very simple, others more complicated. Some came and went rather quickly, not meeting expectations. A few stayed a long time. For the most part I had a single, high end detector at any given time.

My longest use detector was an Explorer XS, about 10 years. Had an e-trac for 5+ after that, Had a CZ-6a before the Explorer for 5 years. The CZ was the easiest to set up and use and was no slouch for finding old coins, but had a propensity for rusty bent nails. The Minelabs were more complicated and required plenty of forum and book time. But ONCE I LEARNED how to use the Explorer and e-trac, they were pretty much turn on and hunt. The E-trac was overall my 'best' coinshooting detector for hunting old yards and parks. Having Andy's book on the explorers/etrac helped, but I think if you have to buy a book to figure out how to use your detector to its' potential, that detector qualifies as 'complicated'. I am thinking the forums and Andy S are going to be busy with the next round of detectors.

Right now, I am looking for my NEXT main detector as I sold my temporary this last weekend. I still have a CZ-6a and a Sov GT and a couple of Tesoro's so I am not without. I am eyeing the 'Impact' as it appears it would cover hunting old yards and double up in the iron infested old ghost towns. Not sure about its' ability in handling old parks, I'm still watching the field reports. But having 3 - frequencies combined with Several different programs makes for a lot of trial and error testing. I wonder if we're going to see a book on this one.

I'm tempted by the newly priced F-75 ltd.with DST, but nervous about it handling our moderate to high mineralization out here in Utah. I could pick up another etrac (sold mine last summer thinking I was going to upgrade to a CTX3030 but never did) as I know the explorer language after 15+ years using them

At the moment, I can't pull the trigger on an Impact since they aren't quite here yet. But while there is a scramble for the initial offering of Impacts, I can wait and see if the price adjustments by Fisher really does mean that a new flagship is coming.

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
March 14, 2017 09:18AM
I was going to buy one but when I read it is 36 units built into one that did it for me. at 72 I have enough trouble to learn one new detector let alone 36. So I found a cz 70 pro that TD tuned and it test a dime at 12 inches. It is on its way as I make this post. That should work for me just fine
March 14, 2017 09:26AM
That sounds good to me. You do know that marketing is going to want to add notching or some other non-needed bell or whistle.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 14, 2017 09:44AM
"The simplest machine would be a single knob, on/off/volume."
Carl's over-complicating things again! Use headphones with a built-in volume control, and have the detector turn on when you plug in the headphones. If the battery is rechargeable, you could use the headphone socket as the charging port.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2017 09:44AM by Pimento.
March 14, 2017 10:08AM
Pimento Wrote:
> "The simplest machine would be a singl
> e knob, on/off/volume."

> Carl's over-complicating things again! Use headpho
> nes with a built-in volume control, and have the d
> etector turn on when you plug in the headphones. I
> f the battery is rechargeable, you could use the h
> eadphone socket as the charging port.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
March 14, 2017 10:37AM
Those things had a very long battery life, I understand. Fit a solar panel on the (conveniently knob-free) box, and you could keep your rechargeable battery topped up. No need for buying/fitting or recharging the battery.
March 14, 2017 01:59PM
Jackpine Wrote:
> That sounds good to me. You do know that marketing is going to want to add notching or some other
> non-needed bell or whistle.

Or, more likely, Engineering.

Pimento Wrote:
> Carl's over-complicating things again! Use headphones with a built-in volume control, and have the
> detector turn on when you plug in the headphones.

I thought of that as I wrote the post but assumed that some people don't use headphones. Though it would be funny to see them trying to figure out how to turn the thing on.
March 14, 2017 02:40PM
I've grown too dependant on Visual target id. Can no longer do without. I like the hodographs some detectors have.
March 14, 2017 02:43PM
I'm out of the loop on this one. What is a hodograph?
March 14, 2017 02:45PM
marcomo Wrote:
> I'm out of the loop on this one. What is a hodograph?

A real-time X-R plot of the signal response.
March 14, 2017 03:32PM
Beep dig or discriminate. The more you discriminate the more features you need.

HH
Mike
March 14, 2017 07:09PM
" .... some people don't use headphones"
For these folks, use a coil that can be unplugged. Use a spare pin to control the power when plugged in ( or you could sense the RX coil continuity, in practice), and another pin to charge the battery (like the XP GMP etc). Or...If you used an analogue radio transmitter (like the GMP, Adventis etc), you could have cordless headphones on your no-frills machine. Mount the electronics nearish to the coil, use a telescopic stem like on a camera tripod, and you've got a compact 'stowaway' machine. I have plans for a spare Fisher F2 along these lines.
March 15, 2017 04:22AM
Carl, could you do a little 101 like your mate Dave J. is so good at and dumb that down for me?
March 15, 2017 07:12AM
Hit it on the head Johnnyanglo. Several used depending on the location but just picked up another 3D, Tom tuned / 12.2, something about these units that makes you want them around. Grab and go if ya will.
March 15, 2017 07:43AM
I've always liked simple detecting.... No need for it to be complicated and that's why I feel at home with Deeptech Detectors...Easy to use and it's hard to get wrong with just two tones.
March 15, 2017 08:49AM
Ziggy I've never used a Deeptech detector but from what I've heard and read about them they might fit my style of hunting quite well.
March 15, 2017 09:01AM
Agree to some point with Ziggy. I also use a Deeptech machine, the Vista Smart.
But I also enjoy swinging with an advanced digital machine. Main reason is the fact that it is better equipped to ignore junk. I waste less time to dig junk, so I can cover a larger area, and by the end of the day will have more goodies in the pocket.
Since about a month I have the Rutus Alter 71 and I find it a pure joy to swing that machine. You can set it up anyway you want.
March 15, 2017 11:36AM
I just got in a Famous Trails MD1023 after checking out Keith's run down on it -

I found it really simple to use and it has a special ability -

First target I dug was a knitting needle - I thought because of the small signal it was just the head of the needle that was metal - After carefully re-plugging the hole I quickly waved the knitting needle in front of the coil & 'no noise' - what the hell is going on here I thought?

I picked the detector up and checked to see if it was still alive, all the while quickly waving the needle in front of the coil and twisting the knobs at the same time - Never again I say - Cheap little POS, then a mate came over and said "is that a new detector" - I said yeah still trying to work out what was wrong with the thing - He said " whats that? did it find that?" pointing to the knitting needle, so I handed it to him.....

Still pondering my dilemma - He then said "do these detectors pick up plastic too" - Nah mate just metal - He then looked at me puzzled and said "this knitting needle is plastic mate - wtf? I thought - A flash ever so quick raced through my system - Had i finally found that magic stick that was just that little bit special than everyone elses? - I can turn my Disc down that low it will pick up plastic - I mean come on, that's cool & unique allat the same time lol -

All jokes aside I went back and retrieved a small badge a few inches under the knitting needle I had removed -

I suppose the moral of the story here is that it matters not to me whether they are cheap or expensive - I always get flustered by them on the first day -

Cheers V

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
March 15, 2017 11:47AM
What's a simple detector, a unit that employs factory programs and automated settings with the option to use expert or pro settings, an analog unit that requires a combination of settings via knobs to discriminate and ground balance, or a simpler budget unit that has limited settings, preset ground balance etc? Opinions will always vary greatly on the same detector on whether it is not only complicated to use and setup, or from a different perspective, easy to use on certain sites.

Some people will find thumbing a discrimination control on a single tone detector much more complicated than say a multitone TID detector, especially trying to pick out fine nuances within that single tone.

Personally my "complicated" Deus is one of the easiest detectors I have used, mainly for coin/relic detecting on older sites and ruins. Tonally it provides a wealth of target information that make my choices on whether to dig or not a lot easier. Take a simpler Ace 400 to the same site, and you will have a hell of a hard time picking out genuine targets from say high tone falsing iron sheet metal, and one way bell tones - hence making it more compicated than first thought to use in the same area, especially for a new user.

We always get that all too regular question on our forum here in OZ, I want a simple detector that does it all - gold, coins, jewellery, relics and beach. Sorry it aint going to happen unless you get several detectors to limit the compromises, or purchase a "complicated" detector that at least gives you the option to change settings to suit the above targets or locations.

Yes I do like uncomplicated detecting. I like the fact that I can turn my Deus on, no need to ground balance in my area, the hot program is ready to go from startup, and off I go - made even easier now on V4.0 with HOT being a factory program. I don't think you could possibly make it any simpler than that.

On the other hand, I think if you over simplify a detector into a technological automated terror, requiring very little user input or analysis of the tones, and the ability to pluck coins out of the ground at will, the thrill of the hunt will be lost on me.
March 15, 2017 12:02PM
Ideally, there must be a compromise.
The detector should allow to start to work simply by including it, but at the same time there should be an opportunity of exact adjustment of all parameters, for example through the additional menu.
March 15, 2017 04:09PM
marcomo Wrote:
> Carl, could you do a little 101 like your mate Dave J. is so good at and dumb that down for me?

Doing justice on this topic would take more typing than I have time for right now. Here is a decent 20,000 foot view:

[compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com]

See the rest of the discussion here:

[compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com]

including some videos that are probably worth a look.
March 16, 2017 01:20AM
Marcomo, the AKA detectors and the rutus alter 71 use a hodograph. If you get a chance, look up the alter 71 thread, one of the last posts I provided a link to a you tube video showing the hodograph reacting to a bunch of test targets. It seems to work better on in ground targets, but the air tests shown will give you an idea what it looks like.

Vince 100, I feel the same way about the alter 71. I love it so far.
March 16, 2017 03:56AM
Carl and possom, thank you both. Looks very interesting.
March 17, 2017 09:35PM
Have it set up in a mixed mode and I'm buying!

HH
Johnb
March 17, 2017 09:52PM
I'm going to steal Rick's Warrior when he's not looking. Rick, "Tom I can't find my detector", Me, "did you lay it down over there somewhere, I think I see it behind that tree" runs to car and puts detector in trunk (boot).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 09:54PM by Jackpine.
March 17, 2017 10:26PM
Give Me Tone I.D. with Modulated Audio and I am Good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 02:18AM by Harold,ILL..
March 18, 2017 01:45AM
Ya Tom, I know that's what you want to do lol. Especially after you try it out. The simple detectors are nice. Mine are the Warrior and the Tejon.

Rick