Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Got my AT Pro back from Garrett and......

Posted by wjs 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
wjs
Got my AT Pro back from Garrett and......
February 26, 2011 03:21AM
I got the same control box back but a different coil. I marked the coil before I sent it in and I did not get back the same one. The falsing seems to have been cleared up. I will have to take it out this weekend and see as long as the weather cooperates.
Re: Got my AT Pro back from Garrett and......
February 26, 2011 03:29AM
Well, that seems to add weight to Tom's recent opinion, that he's not fully convinced of the 'control box' being the source of the falsing issue rumor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 01:41PM by TerraDigger.
wjs
February 26, 2011 03:41AM
This was posted on another forum too.

"Got my AT pro back from Garrett today. They did not say what they fixed. I called them and they said they replaced the coil and re-calibrated the machine. Looked at the coil bottom and it had allot of wear on it and had scratches on top. It was not the coil I sent them. I called Garrett and they are sending me a new coil. You need to check the coil."
February 26, 2011 01:30PM
..........the proverbial CAT is out of the bag !!!.........BUSTED !!!!!......Jim

That was the beauty of being an early disgruntled customer .....They had nobody's coil that was fixed to give me !!....My came back new !!..... sticky bottom and all !!...... Same control box , with the same power and sensitivity ....... Jim
wjs
February 26, 2011 04:15PM
I dont understand why they dont want to just come out and say what the problem is. I didnt care what it was as long as they fixed it.
February 26, 2011 05:15PM
Loose lips , sinks ships !!......Jim
February 26, 2011 06:29PM
It has to be more than the coil. Or else everybody could just send the coil instead of the whole detector.
March 02, 2011 12:56AM
I got one 2 weeks ago, it doesn't false but the iron disc #s don't come up as 10 to 40, it 's just 4 sets of o to 9, the tenths digit is missing, don't know if I'm going to send it back, might be the only one and be worth more money and it might work better
March 02, 2011 02:29AM
I read on another forum someone had his AT Pro since December and he was having trouble with his display, he mentioned vdi #'s being barely visible, battery indicator only had 1 bar visible in the center of the scale etc. It makes one wonder about the assembly process and quality control. I'm also starting to see several up for sale already, I can say my confidence in it has been shaken enough I'm thinking of trading mine when it comes back from repair for an Omega.
March 02, 2011 02:58AM
Boy my feelings on the At not so pro is there are lot of problems...a lot of problems from such a big company and that scares me...Two year warrenty...I have never had a problem or should I say problems like that with my Fishers or Teks...Tom needs to test this machine someone should send him one to see if it is all it is cracked up to be. My G2 is the best machine for me, light, loves targets of all shapes and sizes, loves coins on their side sitting upright in a hole. Man and the At is just one problem after another where are they made and how come the company won't admit to what is going on or say they have fixed the problem.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 02, 2011 12:38PM
To draw a loose analogy, the AT Pro is to Garrett what the T-2 was (in its first 6 months) to First Texas in that one is and one was a considerable leap to significant new features and performance levels for their respective companies in both coil and detector design. When all the denial and condescending bantering was being spewed by the most voracious of the Garrett faithful, ("There's no problem(s) you #$@%& *%#@& %#*@$# ^%!!!! " ) I just had to smile because they were ignoring the historically proven probability of early problems. Oops, that was embarrassing!
March 02, 2011 04:19PM
If the coil alone was sent in , that would be admitting that the coil was the problem ....By sending in both coil and control box, you can say whatever you want to say ....Some had coil issues , some had conncetor issues , while some were used ROUGHLY by the consumer ( love this one ) ..... ANY story will FIT , YOU MUST AQUIT !!!..... ADMIT NOTHING !!!.....Keep em guessing !!..... If you look at the folks who defend ANY machine, or company , at any length, you will better understand how certain compaines take the stance that they do .... It would be like telling a kid that there is no Santa Claus !!....Jim
March 02, 2011 04:22PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Boy my feelings on the At not so pro is there are
> lot of problems...a lot of problems from such a
> big company and that scares me...Two year
> warrenty...I have never had a problem or should I
> say problems like that with my Fishers or
> Teks...Tom needs to test this machine someone
> should send him one to see if it is all it is
> cracked up to be. My G2 is the best machine for
> me, light, loves targets of all shapes and sizes,
> loves coins on their side sitting upright in a
> hole. Man and the At is just one problem after
> another where are they made and how come the
> company won't admit to what is going on or say
> they have fixed the problem.

Lawrenzo------You stated almost to the word what I was just telling my wife last night about the AT PRO.-----My sentiments EXACTLY.------If this wasn't such a serious thing, it would almost be comical.----I'm not making light of the situation as I know it is & has been a real "pain in the ars" to a LOT of good folks.----I'm just glad I didn't get one (almost did).----Just wish for EVERYBODYS sake, they would get all these issue(s)-"problem reports" resolved.--------BTW, don't ya just LOVE that great little G2!!!!-----------Del
March 03, 2011 02:00AM
I only wonder what percentage of folks are having AT Pro problems. Is it just a few folks.........of whom make all the noise. Or ....... is there a ton of AT Pro's with problems......that are released to the public.
March 03, 2011 05:00AM
I wonder how many of any model detector due to being a closet detector that it is never known that a problem exists.
It would be interesting to know what percentage of detectors are used over say 70 hours.
March 03, 2011 06:31PM
Very good question...makes me wonder...
I think Tom certifying units is a good idea.
March 03, 2011 07:58PM
Steve(MS) Wrote:
> I wonder how many of any model detector due to
> being a closet detector that it is never known
> that a problem exists.
> It would be interesting to know what percentage of
> detectors are used over say 70 hours.

I'd venture a guess that most of the detectors on the various classifieds are used less than even 40 hrs by their current owners .... Any time you see one thats "mint" or like new, may not have even been used for 10 hrs...... Ive seen some folks run a machine through their test garden and turn around and unload it.....heck, Ive done the same thing with a few of them. I would think asking the current owner what the machine can airtest a nickel or quarter would be an indication if its a problem unit, or not.
March 03, 2011 11:22PM
Not true !!.....My detector STILL found VERY DEEP targets when it had the falsing problems .....The only way you will know is to ground balance it, and bump into a couple of thiings, or place the coil flat on the ground and see if it goes a bit whacky ......Or twist the coil in the air after ground balancing it ......That will tell you .....It will STILL hunt and hunt well except for having to stop all the time because of the falsing , thinking that you are hitting a good target ....No falsing now !!....Jim
March 04, 2011 12:45AM
synthnut Wrote:
> Not true !!.....My detector STILL found VERY DEEP
> targets when it had the falsing problems .....The
> only way you will know is to ground balance it,
> and bump into a couple of thiings, or place the
> coil flat on the ground and see if it goes a bit
> whacky ......Or twist the coil in the air after
> ground balancing it ......That will tell you
> .....It will STILL hunt and hunt well except for
> having to stop all the time because of the falsing
> , thinking that you are hitting a good target
> ....No falsing now !!....Jim

Your exactly right Jim ... I kind of let my mind wander off onto "other" detectors in general, and not just the AT pro..... My AT seemed like it would hunt deep.....now if I can just get it back ....
March 04, 2011 03:16AM
I really have to laugh over on the forum that gave me the boot .....I had SO MUCH opposition over there that I got booted off of the other forum before the AT Pro forum was brought into existance and NOW , all these guys that told me I was CRAZY are crying because Garrett said that bcause they sent their machine back on thier own dime that they ( Garrett ) would give them a free gift, and NOW , these guy are not happy with the GIFT that they got !!!...... So FIRST there is nothing wrong with their machine......SECOND , they send it back because they hear that there IS somehing wrong ....and THIRD , they are not happy wtih the gift that they got !!.......and these are the same people that called ME CRAZY ? >........WTF !!!! ??????????>........Gotta love it !!!.....Jim
March 04, 2011 03:31AM
From which forum did you get 'booted'?

(I must be in good company)
Now Synth.......Re: Got my AT Pro back from Garrett and......
March 04, 2011 03:49AM
Remember to take your psychotropic medications this evening..........lolsmiling smiley.......and mail me a few of them while your at it.
March 04, 2011 03:53AM
Yeah I have been booted from two forums and may have learned a few things about holding back but it is a forum and you have to ask questions even if you are asking what is the problem with this machine and company....kind of like the V3 never a fan..color and all this stuff I bet my G2 with my eyes closed can find a target, hit a target faster in black and white then the V3...I am still hoping the AT pro works out being water proof and a coin and relic and gold hunter all in one that works would be a great unit to have...lets hope they learn from this and lets hope Tom gets to test one. I know Tom is not a big fan of the G2 he liked it but is a great fan of the LTD but for me the G2 works in my dirt and I am happy to support Fisher and TEK with my business...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 04, 2011 01:06PM
LowBoY,
I'd like to try a G2 for giggles .......I'm NOT however prepared to pay the price of admission .... I really like the AT Pro for what it does ....It's high enough in frequency to find the gold, and low enough that it still does a pretty good job on coins and it's waterproof .......It covers a lot of bases , and does everything pretty well ..... I like the fact that the frequency is yet higher on the G2 for my gold cravings .....The AT Pro discriminates iron really well , as I hear the G2 does .....With all the pro's and con's of both machines , I feel as though I am ahead of the game with the AT Pro , but again , for a gold specific machine , I would like to see how much better the G2 really does, if at all, and for $500 I'd buy one and try it , but for $699, I will stay where I am ..... Jim

Terra ,
The last meds I had I sent to you when you were having that emergency !!......Don't you remember ? .......Oh well , it doesn't surprise me !!......LOL !!!.....smiling smiley ......Jim

" Man found naked running down the beach , waving a machette , yelling " GOLD , GOLD , I WANT MORE GOLD "

I knew you would pull out of it !!.......Good to see that you're OK .......LOL !!....JIm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 01:10PM by synthnut.
March 04, 2011 06:01PM
My friends and I ordered 6 AT PRO'S just about two weeks ago and none of us are having the problems that were reported on the early models. You can pick it up twist it shake it scrub the ground and no problems. I don't think this would be the first detector to be made that was a new release to have unseen problems. I'm sure there were others. But I do know these new ones seem to be ok.
March 05, 2011 02:04PM
I was guaranteed by a Garrett rep that all the new machines I get would be problem free. They are checking all the new ones going out to be sure. So far all new ones I have gotten have been great. Problems seem to be all fixed. Only ones that are bad now are old stock on dealers shelves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2011 02:05PM by Stoopstroop.
March 05, 2011 03:52PM
What kind of quality system does Garrett have in place? I wonder why the early problem was not caught within the factory.
March 05, 2011 05:32PM
go-rebels Wrote:
> What kind of quality system does Garrett have in
> place? I wonder why the early problem was not
> caught within the factory.

go-rebels------That's what we've been wondering "scratchin our heads" about from the beginning!-----Is it POOR quality control--or what??
March 05, 2011 05:42PM
Unfortunately it's happens in all sorts of businesses, quantity over quality, I have worked in my fair share of factories and or assembly lines and every one of them pushed numbers and only stressed quality after an issue was raised. From the automotive industry to paper back books/printing companies and most things in between, it's the number of units that puts the coin in the companies pocket and quality plays second fiddle in some cases quality doesn't even played second fiddle. When the economy took a dive I seen quality control technicians get laid off long before any production technicians were, the production technicians were told they were now in charge of the quality of the product they were assembling/making and only when an issue arose was quality addressed and then it was more aimed at the untrained production technician rather than the company's fault. I know I'm a statistic of this very thing,
March 05, 2011 07:26PM
Coyote is right.
Having worked at places that cut and slashed jobs,
the first thing to go was QC.
They tell those workers they get from temp services to
check the finished product, yeah.... right....
My guess is Garrett pushed unit out door without proper checks.
How they managed to get a good unit without much input from
qualified testers is another mystery.