Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hey NASA T I have a question for ya ....How can the AT Ground Balance

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hey NASA T I have a question for ya ....How can the AT Ground Balance
March 05, 2011 06:27PM
to a huge piece of iron like Axe head's and plow point's when using the grab.....?????

My other machine's wont do this....

what the kicker is I can balance it to say the axe head then the machine will not hear the axe but will hear the low conductor's or other conductor's??

I have never had a detector balance out larger iron...

the way it work's is once you balance to it then sweep it in disc the iron audio is completely removed... the high tone of the big iron false will be there but the iron roll area is no more...

do it on say nails and the iron roll on nail's is gone and since the nails don't false the nails are oblivious to the detector..

but when you remove the iron it is still extremely sensitive to other conductor's as normal...???

large iron will balance out in the 18-20 range on the grab...

that lead's me to another point...the At can be balanced any where you want for the most part say it grabs a reading at 80...But I can run it just fine with no falsing at say 50..

It does not seem to be a conventional ground balance system that I have used..

Not sure how to describe it...I know my other machine's ...the one's I own or the one's I have had in the past would not balance to very large iron....not sure they would on small iron..

Back year's ago I ask a detector rep about White's machine's and he told me they would only balance mineral ....I alway's accepted it as that... but I see some strange and unique behavior of this system...

One other thing before I forget...

The AT is the only machine I have ever had that will see through a Red Clay hand fired mid 1800's dense brick..... No matter the target it's see's it and I.D.'s it correctly as if the brick was not there....even hearing small Hershey Kisses foil under it and I.D. it correctly....No other's that I have had privy to will accomplish this feat...

The Brick G.B.s on F-75 at 82 with 5-6 bar's on the f.e. meter...

Keith
Re: Hey NASA T I have a question for ya ....How can the AT Ground Balance
March 05, 2011 07:19PM
For cryin out loud......will somebody get a AT Pro in Tom's hands. The suspense is killing mesmiling smiley
March 05, 2011 07:43PM
TerraDigger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For cryin out loud......will somebody get a AT Pro
> in Tom's hands. The suspense is killing mesmiling smiley

Been tryin TerraDigger!---Haven't got one (yet) or I'd do it myself.----Balls, I'll even pay the shipping one way! laff----C'mon someone! grin-------Del
March 05, 2011 09:12PM
tom has reviewed the at pro........[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
March 05, 2011 09:49PM
Yes he has, seeker 41, but not one since the falsing issue has been resolved. (supposedly, anyway( HH jim tn
March 05, 2011 09:58PM
jim tn Wrote:
> Yes he has, seeker 41, but not one since the
> falsing issue has been resolved. (supposedly,
> anyway( HH jim tn

Correct ye are Jim!----Different ball game now (we hope).-------Del
Whoops...Re: Hey NASA T I have a question for ya ....How can the AT Ground Balance
March 05, 2011 11:01PM
I should have said a 'revised' non-falsing AT Pro.
Keith......Re: Hey NASA T I have a question for ya ....How can the AT Ground Balance
March 05, 2011 11:08PM
For my clarity............."but when you remove the iron it is still extremely sensitive to other conductor's as normal...??? "
Are you saying that when disc'ing out that axe head, the AT Pro picks up non-ferrous conductors as efficently as if you didn't do the large iron disc?
March 05, 2011 11:55PM
jim tn Wrote:
> Yes he has, seeker 41, but not one since the
> falsing issue has been resolved. (supposedly,
> anyway( HH jim tn

oh!......got it!!!
Hershy kiss foil under the brick , Holy crap!!!
March 06, 2011 10:35AM
Keith do you have any areas with a lot of hot rocks? Just wondering because if it can balance them out and still see the small stuff under or next to the rocks It could very well be the next best thing in VLF's for nugget hunting.

Tom
Re: Hershy kiss foil under the brick , Holy crap!!!
March 06, 2011 06:51PM
Keith , you are lucky, I can't get mine to GB and the iron disc is screwed up, I have some iron infested site that are not going to be checked til next year because it going to take time to get this beast fixed
Re: Hershy kiss foil under the brick , Holy crap!!!
March 07, 2011 02:13AM
Keith,

I can validate that something is quite different about the Grnd Bal circuitry on the AT Pro; yet, with a failed coil........I did not feel comfortable with drawing conclusions...........as THIS alone...(the bad coil) adds TOO large of a variable into the equation.......for me to have drawn solid/validated analysis. When the bad coil gave the appearance of being allergic to the "ground"......I did not trust "ground" balance conclusions.

Not just the AT Pro (I remember the KELLYCO Cobra-II) other detectors could have enough Grnd Bal range to balance out a axe head; HOWEVER, masking was still a fatal/near-fatal resultant. I remember Grnd Bal'ing out a car with the Cobra-II; yet, could not detect a silver dollar on the hood of the car. (Strange test......as I already knew what the resultant would be).
This brings me to another point............due to the implications herein: Whilst hunting with the ATP......in the real-world..........with 3-dimentional matrix targets (good targets underneath bad targets.......(((especially if the bad target(s) were ferrous)))........the ATP could not perform magic. The law of physics still presides (trumps).

I had a old 1266-X that I could set up Disc...............with hair-splitting accuracy................to JUST BARELY Disc out a horseshoe...............and then lay a penny in the middle opening of the horseshoe..............both items being on the same plane (no depth differential between the two)...........and the 1266-X would JUST BARELY break squelch......and report a target that was JUST BARELY above the hair-splitting Disc set-point............CERTAINLY still within the 'iron' range. It sure makes for a demonstration applaud; yet, the true knowledge of what is really happening....is not so evident. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh..........the criticality of hair-splitting 'iron range' Discrimination.
Thanks Dankowski for the info
March 07, 2011 02:34AM
yes we know the law of physics still prevails on the unmasking ability....

I was mainly wondering why the range was so far as to go into big iron???

I think you mentioned the Bad coil at pro having problem's when scrubbing on loosing the target....

I tested it on a 11 inch penny and the only way to hear the penny was to scrub the coil..lift it just a pinch off the ground and penny disappeared ...Sam on a 10.5 inch dime...lift the coil and dime is gone....

So maybe that will give you some info you were wondering about in an earlier post...

Still a great see through mineral machine for some uncanny reason....will read foil under a red mid 1800's hand fired brick.....lift it a tad off the brick and it cant see it but it is the only machine I have that will see the foil...

Thanks

Keith
Re: Thanks Dankowski for the info
March 07, 2011 02:48AM
Coil scrubbing info certainly sounds MUCH better.
March 08, 2011 12:33AM
Coil flat on the ground at the beach would have the OLD AT Pro breaking up and humming uncontollably ...... Now it's fine ........Srubbing use to be a very noisy affair .......Quiet now !!...... Jim
Yes Jackpine my area is pretty much eat up in hotrock's
March 08, 2011 04:41PM
for the most part.....I have hot rocks and bad dirt...also have good dirt and hotrocks LOL!!

but yes the AT handles hot rocks very well....

no need to balance to them just balance out the dirt....they will roll tone if audio I.D. is on... but targets under them will breakthrough ...

I believe if you go to lost treasure and read the AT field test that Chris Ghoulson Did he an it in the gold fields of the west and actually like what he saw and found a nugget...Might wont to read it and get between the line's on it...

On a side note weird they field tested it with a nugget hunter doing the evaluation might be out doing there Scorpion?? not sure ??Weird..

Keith
Re: Yes Jackpine my area is pretty much eat up in hotrock's
March 08, 2011 10:55PM
This is akin to the F75 SE (in boost process mode)......far surpassing the Gold Bug Se.....on gold nuggets.
Re: Yes Jackpine my area is pretty much eat up in hotrock's
March 09, 2011 12:10PM
Yeah I read the field test. He did not say much about hot rocks and the nugget came from broken up bedrock... probably would have hit better with a smaller coil from the sounds of it.

Garrett needs to come out with a smaller DD to make it competitive with the MXT and new Fisher Tek machines for nugget shooting and like Chris mentioned an all metal mode as well.

Thanks

Tom
March 09, 2011 12:25PM
It sounds like the smaller coil that is out for the AT fell short of a lot of lolks expectations ...... Doesn't sound like something that was built from the ground up , rather a modified old stock coil ......??????.......Nothing I would go out and buy .....Jim
March 09, 2011 11:47PM
Give Garrett some time to develop a smaller coil that is more specifically targeted for the new AT Pro. They may be nearing......or just finished... dialing-in (correcting the bugs) with the AT Pro.
March 11, 2011 02:27PM
Good advise Tom !!.....Jim