Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deus 9 inch hf coil

Posted by Mccrorysjewelry2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deus 9 inch hf coil
June 30, 2017 03:20PM
Has anyone tried out the new deus 9 inch hf coil? How does it compare to the standard 9 inch coil? Has anyone tried hunting for coins using 54 kHz in trash and iron sites?
Re: Deus 9 inch hf coil
June 30, 2017 06:49PM
Not available to public yet?

Here's a thread posted a couple days ago on the HF coil

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
June 30, 2017 07:37PM
The 9'' HF round coil is out,the elliptical HF is not current on sale,initial reports from user here in the UK seem to think that although it was originally designed for nugget hunting in Aussieland and Arizona it also performs well at 54khz on UK trashy sites,not sure about the other coil yet as that is at a much higher khz upto about 70khz as i understand it.

Can see a market for the elliptical although the higher freq i doubt will be used much but the lower and mid freq combined with the narrow profile of the coil could be a winning combination.Time of course will tell
June 30, 2017 08:03PM
Yep

I'm waiting for the elliptical HF - that one looks like a winner.

Combined with the stock 9" original = all I need thumbs down
June 30, 2017 09:00PM
I'm waiting on the 9in elliptical also. I believe the higher khz and smaller coil footprint will do great in the trashy sage brush infested sites I hunt. Time will tell
July 01, 2017 12:48AM
The reason I ask is Ed Huffman sold me a 9 inch round HF coil and I have taken it to 5 of my sites that I have hit hard with the 9 inch standard deus coil. I have been pulling coins and buttons and even gold rings from theses sites. I have been using Gary's hot program and running it in 54 kHz. Ed told me that I was going to be blown away at what I find that the standard deus coil missed. And he was right. Ed and Heath Jones are both using 54 khz in there trashy and iron sites and finding all kinds of targets they missed with the standard coil. That was the reason I put my standard 9 inch coil up forsale. Ed said there wasn't any point in using it if you have the HF coil. Said in 14 kHz setup right you can get great depth and 54 kHz great separation. Said that 54 kHz will see coins on edge that the standard coil can't see. I'm planning on getting the 9.5 HF elliptical coil also. These HF coils are amazing. I ask Ed how come you don't see people posting videos on YouTube or talking about this 9 inch HF using the 54 kHz. He told me not many know about it yet. All I can say is it has brought all my old hunted to death sites back to life. Now I look forward to going back to my old site. Just talked to Ed. Said him and Heath are in the works of making a video on using the 9 inch HF coil and will be posting it soon on YouTube. Can't wait.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2017 02:42AM by Mccrorysjewelry2.
July 01, 2017 08:43AM
Mccrorysjewelry2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Said him and Heath are in the wo
> rks of making a video on using the 9 inch HF coil
> and will be posting it soon on YouTube. Can't wait
> .

Hopefully not just a video that shows the HF coil and a few targets that supposedly could not have been found with the black coil... If you want to do it right, show a comparison with the black coil before (!) a target was dug. I did exactly that and to my "surprise" the black coil (with 18kHz) had absolutely zero problems with any of the 54kHz targets (I'm talking about real tiny stuff up to bigger targets - on that day/location).
Now, would I leave the black coil at home, what would happen? Right, I could show a picture with all of the HF finds and claim, that everything that was found, the black coil has missed, which of course would be total BS.
It would be the usual: "I went to my old spot and look what I have found now" without actual proof (which means both coils at the same time, same setting and similar coil speed/movement/angle). In undisturbed ground without reburied, or "carefully placed" target in a specific range that suit the purpose.

54kHz has its place but the chances to hit a specific target that fits in a very narrow window (slightly below the max range of the standard coil) are pretty small. The chances of missing targets that sound weaker with this frequency, are much, much higher.
I hunt with the 28kHz frequency and I believe this will be the standard for other hunters too (once the hype settles in).
July 01, 2017 09:38AM
Certainly right about the HF coil on 54kHz weeding out on edge coins. I too have been hitting previously detected old house sites that are full of nails, nearly every single coin found was on edge, some surprisingly shallow though heavily masked. I don't have a standard 9" coil to compare with, though have been over these sites with the Deus 11" coil, and Racer 2 with the OOR fitted. Many of the found targets were not overly obvious tones, and were heavily influenced by nearby iron (sometimes with a handful of nails out of the same hole).

The HF coil is also extremely good at picking up on thin mid to low conductor button targets, sometimes with such a strong tone that you would expect to find the button quite near the surface, only to find it is actually 5-6" down. Despite the high 54kHz frequency, depth has been quite impressive on cleaner ground, though I have to keep in mind that the soils in my area are quite mild.
July 01, 2017 09:39AM
Very good feedback goes on the operation of the 9 "HF at a frequency of 30 kHz ...

[youtu.be]
July 01, 2017 02:43PM
Weather you want to believe that the hf 9 inch coil in 54 khz can hit targets that the standard coil can not is totally up to you. I for one have seen what this new hf coil can do. I have had 2 deus's and have hunted many sites with the standard 9 inch coil. I have hit these sites hard to the point that finds were few. As soon as I started hunting with the hf coil my finds went through the roof. I for one have not tried 28 kHz. All I know is Ed told me the magic is at the 54 kHz so that"s as much as I have tested this coil. I even tried to sell my standard coil back to Ed after buying the hf 9 inch coil. Ed told me that he had a pile of standard 9 inch coils that customers had traded back for the 9 inch hf coil and he can't hardly sell them. That I would be better off trying to find someone that likes the standard 9 inch coil. All I can say is use what best works for you and your type of hunting. All I wanted was to share what I and some other have experienced using this hf coil. I am not a expert just a happy hunter right now. Thanks
July 01, 2017 06:27PM
@Mccrorysjewelry2,
if you haven't tried both coils (on that day) with the same setting, speed and angle, than it's just pure speculation.

I would like to encourage you to make another test with both coils, a proper setting and you will be surprised how many targets the black coil really "misses" (I mean real undisturbed targets). Later on use the 18kHz coil first and re-check every signal with 54kHz. I'm pretty sure, you will be surprised again.

54kHz will find certain targets, but this will be (in my opinion) rather a rare case. You will (probably) miss more targets with the 54kHz frequency, compared to 18kHz.

P.s. Please don't take it personally. I'm not an expert either. I'm still in the learning process (with different observations). Have a nice day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2017 06:28PM by x2000.
July 01, 2017 08:30PM
...just got the August edition of 'the Searcher' magazine from the UK that has a test of this coil from Garth Blackwell

To see it in America you'll have to subscribe but it's iPad friendly!

www.thesearcher.co.uk
July 01, 2017 08:42PM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...just got the August edition of 'the Searcher' m
> agazine from the UK that has a test of this coil f
> rom Garth Blackwell
>

Should that not be Gary Blackwell ?? or Gary B as he is more often called.
July 01, 2017 08:46PM
....'predictive text!' Duh!!
July 01, 2017 09:51PM
X2000 I'm not taking it personally. I do understand what you are saying. The information that I am putting out here is coming from Ed Huffman that consider himself to be a expert with the deus and many other brands of detectors. I a sure you he has used both standard and HF coils and has done every test possible. He is my go to guy when having questions to do with the deus or any detector I have bought from him. Him and Heath Jones have spent many of hours testing the deus using all frequencies and size of coils. I do appreciate your feed back and will try for myself 18 kHz vs 54 kHz. I too have a lot to learn on the deus. All I can say is I personally have enjoyed using the HF coil on my old sites that I have hit hard with the standard coil and am very pleased with my new finds. Thanks again for your help and happy hunting.
July 07, 2017 06:18PM
A recent article by Andy Sabisch on using the HF coil vs standard coil. Just wish he had tried the 54 kHz instead of 14 kHz and 28 kHz. But the main thing is he did see a difference from using the HF coil vs standard coil. Here is his test.

Well what about the new HF coils? Like most, I felt that they were primarily designed for prospecting applications and since there are not a lot of gold nuggets being found in the Eastern U.S., I was not overly excited when I looked at them as possible additions to my DEUS arsenal. Fortunately – if you can say that – I had a severe allergic reaction to some prescribed medication that landed me in the hospital and kept me out of the field for a few weeks. During that time, I contacted several people that I knew in Europe and the U.K. that were trying out the new HF coil and they were quite excited about how it performed on coins and smaller relics. After getting some pointers from them, I had the opportunity to get one and start putting it through its paces.

The backyard of our house is the perfect testing ground for detectors. The house was built in 1843 and the relatively small grassy area is littered with 100’s of square nails along with rusted junk that has collected in the ground over the past 175 years. My wife and I have hunted it countless times but are usually able to find something of note. Rather than taking a new detector to a new site and then touting coins and other items recovered without checking to see if other detectors would have found them provides little truly objective evidence as to how it actually performs. Taking the DEUS with V4.0 loaded onto it and switching out the stock coil for the 9” HF coil, I headed out into the backyard. I wanted to hear the iron so I set the DISCRIMINATION at “10” and the IRON VOLUME at “2”. Opting for 4-Tones, I had to test targets to get the breakpoints dialed in but that took less than 10 minutes. I changed the REACTIVITY to “2.5” to see if this would help pick out good targets from the iron and after making a few more tweaks, saved two programs – one using 14.4 kHz and the other using 28.8 kHz. I worked one small section which I knew was infested with iron and marked 5 potential targets. I had the advantage of having another DEUS with V3.2 to check the targets before digging them – which is the only true way to see if the new features really make a difference in the field… comparing targets BEFORE recovering them.

An 1885 Indian Head Penny hidden amongst several nails including the one shown was recovered from a depth of 8 inches.
An 1885 Indian Head Penny hidden amongst several nails including the one shown was recovered from a depth of 8 inches.

The first one turned out to be an old ball of tinfoil at 7” which the HF coil / V4.0 combo hit with a solid target ID (although a low #) ; however, the V3.2 / LF coil struggled to get a consistent response. The next signal was so clear and consistent with the V4.0 / HF coil in both frequencies that I questioned how we could have missed it previously. Well, the V3.2 / LF coil would produce a response occasionally and even then, with audio and visual indication bouncing all over. Not a target I would have recovered unless time was not an issue. From a solid 8” I recovered a crusty coin and a large rusted spike. Cleaning revealed the coin was an 1885 Indian Head that had been holed years ago to wear as a necklace. The next two targets turned out to be foil and as I found with the first target, the response from the V4.0 / HF coil DEUS was much sharper and repeatable than the V3.2 / LF coil DEUS with similar settings (Reactivity was set at “2” on the V3.2 DEUS). The last one was iffy but clearly there was a high tone amongst the low iron tones on the V4.0 / HF coil unit. The V3.2 / LF coil unit as well as another high-end detector considered to be on-par with the DEUS did not see anything but iron in the area. There was iron and I pulled out three rusted nails yet the pinpointer kept saying there was more in the hole. The next item recovered was a rusted piece of pipe about 1” long and finally I found a brass 1800’s suspender clip in the edge of the hole at better than 8”! I was quite surprised at the target separation afforded by V4.0 and the detection depth provided by the HF coil in a non-prospecting application. As they say a picture says a 1,000 words and the two keepers shown here along with the trash that was in the same hole is a testament to how well the new V4.0 DEUS performs in the field and when coupled with the HF coil, offers flexibility that is unmatched.

Nails and a rusted piece of iron pipe had masked this suspender clip from the 1800’s despite searching the area countless times before with a number of high-end machines.
Nails and a rusted piece of iron pipe had masked this suspender clip from the 1800’s despite searching the area countless times before with a number of high-end machines.

In summary, I was pleasantly surprised at how the HF coil performed in a challenging environment. It does like low-conductive targets such as tin foil but beach hunters will love its sensitivity to small gold jewelry. Coin and relic hunters will find that having the option to switch between the LF and HF coils combined with V4.0 will allow finds to be made in areas that are un-huntable with other detectors due to the amount of ferrous trash present. The software (4.0) is available as a no-cost download from XP Metal Detectors and the HF coils, while not cheap, will help you find more in sites you and others have written off. Don’t forget, you can mount the HF coil on a spare shaft and in essence have two detectors for the price of the coil alone. XP continues to raise the bar with their flagship detector and they are not content… more features and functionality will be developed that all of us can benefit for in the field