Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Apple I phone users (looks like you've been had)

Posted by Sod-buster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Apple I phone users (looks like you've been had)
December 28, 2017 10:47PM
Warning! This has nothing to do with metal detectors.

Just a little something to update this thread – which started by saying that everybody uses an iPhone has been ‘had” .

Apple just released a long explanation of exactly what their software is doing and why and more to the point has offered following.

“Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by $50 — from $79 to $29 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, starting in late January and available worldwide through December 2018. Details will be provided soon on apple.com.”

Here’s a link to an article which gives some details. If anyone is interested.

[www.businessinsider.com]

Guess maybe we haven’t been had after all.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 10:55PM by lytle78.
December 29, 2017 02:12PM
Nice report Rick,as usual.

Now will someone explain WHY the battery prices were lowered AFTER the fact???
December 29, 2017 02:55PM
doc holiday Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice report Rick,as usual.
>
> Now will someone explain WHY the battery prices we
> re lowered AFTER the fact???

Loaded question here doc??

When I used the term "had" , I think I nailed it.

Manufacturer has offered formal apology.
Has admitted to poor communications.
Is trying to make restitution with customers.

Deception be it real or perceived is a no-no for a company.
And seems Apple knows this now.

They got caught no matter how this is looked at.
Caught at doing whatever, and this whatever folks found displeasing.

Did anyone reading this thread learn anything?
If they did, it was worth it.

Besides I like to watch detecting videos, even the ones taken with cell phones.
December 29, 2017 06:27PM
Meanwhile Tesla who had cut back the ability of its top model to do those 0-60 runs in 3 seconds (or whatever time they do) in interest of preserving battery life was sued, relented and restored the high performance ludicrous mode..

PS" the accuracy of my post may be in question according to wikipedia.

My next topix WILL be detecting related but since it's winter here you may have to wait a (long) while. LOL

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 06:31PM by Jackpine.
December 29, 2017 06:31PM
They screwed up by not explaining what the revised iOS software was doing. What. They implemented was an intelligent solution to a real problem - aging batteries and their effect on phone operations. Apple’s not perfect - surprise- surprise.

The price cut on battery replacement was a smart move. The original fee was fair - the new one is a screaming bargain.

What did the folks on this forum learn? I guess not much of interest except that the original “Subject:” text was total b.s.

Rick Kempf
December 29, 2017 07:06PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> They screwed up by not explaining what the revised
> iOS software was doing. What. They implemented was
> an intelligent solution to a real problem - aging
> batteries and their effect on phone operations. Ap
> ple’s not perfect - surprise- surprise.
>
> The price cut on battery replacement was a smart m
> ove. The original fee was fair - the new one is a
> screaming bargain.
>
> What did the folks on this forum learn? I guess n
> ot much of interest except that the original “Subj
> ect:” text was total b.s.

Do you work for Apple or what? because what did I learn, what did most of the world learned is that Apple was caught by the ba??s implementing planned obsolescence into their products. The old battery story is just a load of bs, irrespective of the condition of your cell battery the so called "upgrades" still slowed them down. Apple have denied the use of planned obsolescence for years and they finally were caught, simple, you were HAD.
December 29, 2017 11:22PM
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. It doesn’t correspond to the facts in the opinion of most informed commenters. But by all means, believe whatever you want.

And no, I don’t work for Apple. I have however read at least 10 different articles published about this whole thing since it was first documented.

It’s clear that in an environment in which they were already whispers that apple was doing things to make older phones perform less well, it was incredibly dumb of them to implement their new battery management software without a public and very thorough explanation what they were doing. Yes indeed they screwed up. They have now fully explained exactly what the software in question does and why they implemented it, but it’s a black eye in public view. They are now offering $29 battery replacements for older iPhones. Wonder when the Android phone makers will get around to doing that? All lithium batteries suffer decreased capacity with age and use - it’s Chemistry - one of those sciences which so many folks have started disbelieving in.

My original objection to sod-buster’s post was that the subject line was bunk and obvious “Clickbait”

You have gone further and doubled down on the idea that evil Apple has screwed its stupid customers. Here is what you wrote....”what did I learn, what did most of the world learned is that Apple was caught by the ba??s implementing planned obsolescence into their products. The old battery story is just a load of bs, irrespective of the condition of your cell battery the so called "upgrades" still slowed them down.”

Can you perhaps furnish some references to credible analysis which supports your assertion - That apple deliberately sought to make older phones work less well so that people would be forced to buy new ones…Or is it just something you “know”

Here are a few links to articles which back up mine belief that - although Apple screwed up not publicizing the software that managed processor speed to prevent abrupt shutdown of phones with reduced capacity batteries - there was likely no secret plan to force obsolescence. None of these links, by the way, are to Apple “fan” publications.

[techreport.com]

[arstechnica.com]

[www.slashgear.com]

[www.theverge.com]

[www.slashgear.com]

[www.apple.com]

And maybe Android phones should do it too!

[www.slashgear.com]

Rick Kempf

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2017 12:06AM by lytle78.
December 30, 2017 01:17AM
When they replace the battery for $29 dollars are they going to remove the 'upgrade' that slows the phone down as well? I figure my 5-C should last another 5 years or so. LOL

tabman
December 30, 2017 01:57AM
Rick, I don't have a dog in this fight.

But it seems to me when a company releases software updates on the qt that intentionally degrade quality, customers are getting hosed.

As they say, follow the money. There's a lot more profit in selling someone a new phone than a new battery.
December 30, 2017 02:44AM
OK, I guess opinions may vary. I don’t have an old iPhone, so I guess I’m not in the focus of this.

I did, however object to the original subject line - clickbait and bogus.

The latter accusation - of bad faith and sharp dealing by Apple, seemed to be unwarranted. Especially since I had taken the trouble to take a bit of a deep dive into the controversy by reading 10 - 12 reputable sources on what really went down.

You may believe what you may. Funny things facts, chemistry, etc. the more you learn, the more you understand.

The software slowed the CPU speed when a degraded battery would risk sunken shutdown of the phone. Bad thing. Their solution. Generally agreed now to be entirely reasonable.

So what’s the problem? They screwed up!!!. They didn’t screw the customers, they screwed themselves. They forgot that in an environment where conspiracy theories run rampant, and the theory that Apple was somehow making older devices unusable was out there, they did a smart thing which could look exactly like a really ugly thing ......

We all learn from our mistakes, even Apple.

Meanwhile I just spent 2 days at a WW II training camp and found a total of two 30–06 cartridge cases.! Metal detecting can be a cruel mistress.

Rick Kempf
December 30, 2017 05:41AM
That's funny and true, Rick.

We love our mistress, but still wish she wasn't so bipolar...angry smileygrinning smiley
December 30, 2017 10:23AM
marcomo Wrote:
> That's funny and true, Rick.
>
> We love our mistress, but still wish she wasn't so
> bipolar...angry smileygrinning smiley

Well, if you think about it, even the Earth is bi-polar.
December 30, 2017 12:14PM
what I cant understand around here is that -

if you buy a Chinese detector, its crap

if you buy a Chinese made Apple, its not

great stuff confused smiley

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
December 30, 2017 01:16PM
There are non-crap Chinese phones - mainly because foreign investment and expertise was brought to the party to utilize cheap labor to produce products to the highest standards. I don’t know about other western firms direct investment in Chinese manufacturing, but Apple has billions of dollars of Apple owned equipment installed in suppliers’ facilities to produce components to Apple’s exacting standards.

In other industries, no such controlling influences exist and the resulting products are either mere copies of foreign designs or outright fakes and in either case characterized by low quality and lack of investment in engineering, production technology and quality control.

As time passes, more and more Chinese products will reach excellence in design and quality. Whether first world standards of corporate responsibility remains to be seen.

One area where the Chinese have reached and now exceed First world standards is in logistics. They move stuff faster, cheaper and all around better than any others. Have you wondered why you can get a $10 Chinese gadget off eBay with FREE shipping and get it in less than 10 days?

Rick Kempf
December 31, 2017 01:21AM
Not at all Rick

I have been following Chinese Manufacturing of Western products for years

Here is just the tip of the iceberg (1%)
[www.jiesworld.com]

I am sure they ALL manufacture to their western corporations exact standards BUT they do not appear to be helping western economies by having their products made in China strengthening their economy. That's like selling your enemies Uranium purely for profit regardless of the consequence to Americans.

What concerns me the most is has the manufacturing of the west simply gone to China because of the cheap labor or have they gone there to avoid possible copyright/patent laws? NOT saying they are there INTENTIONALLY copying another corporations designs BUT who in their right mind would allow the future of their business to come down to the say so of a bought and paid for, US Judge?

One more thing to ponder Rick is this - If they are making the product to EXACTLY their western corporation's standards, why are these corporations charging up to 5 x more than what the Chinese do, for exactly the same thing?

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
December 31, 2017 04:04AM
RC - excellent question.

An iPhone is worth more than an extremely capapable alternative not only because it may do this or that better, but because of the ecosystem it is part of. If I stop working on this post now - and a few minutes later fire up my iMac 27” - the draft is there waiting for me. Xaiomi phones, for all their hi tech goodness, can’t do that - YET.

Hardware is trivial. Software - intelligence - is everything.

The Chinese know this as well as anyone. They have demonstrated it on a grand scale - We Chat is arguably the biggest social network - And therefore a huge operating system - but it’s relevance is largely limited to China.

The world has changed enormously in the last 15 years.

Being “white” or having a national history of world dominance counts for next to nothing. You understand that very well, I’m sure, living as you do in a corner of what is rapidly becoming an Asian Ocean.

My great-great grandmothers people lost a continent to European immigrants because of the immigrants’ better “systems”.

If advanced countries around the world want to maintain their high standard of living and social peace, then their citizens will have to rapidly evolve skills that can command a premium in the world market. Cutting each other’s hair, selling each other houses, flipping burgers - and even making steel, concrete and appliances won’t “cut it” anymore,

If this sounds grim, well.....

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2017 04:10AM by lytle78.