Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

This gent's first time out with Nox, not too bad either

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
This gent's first time out with Nox, not too bad either
March 10, 2018 01:03PM
Re: This gent's first time out with Nox, not too bad either
March 10, 2018 01:35PM
WoW! A detector found a silver coin! Imagine that = must be a miracle! eye rolling smiley
March 10, 2018 01:42PM
MRH,
You have misjudged the Equinox
You based your opinion on a few you tube videos and a few folks comments with little time on detector.

If you will read everything I've posted about the Equinox here, some things should definitely jump out at you.
Everything I've posted is based on real live hunts, comparing to some other detectors in the wild and actual elevated off the ground test.

There is one gent here who has read what I have posted, won't say who.
The clues are here though who this who is.
And this "who" just not your average detectorist either.

Nox works, is eye opener. For me anyways.
You tube videos and test garden hoopla don't paint true overall pic of Nox.
I know this much.

See if you can solve the puzzle.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2018 02:05PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 10, 2018 06:23PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MRH,
> You have misjudged the Equinox
> You based your opinion on a few you tube videos an
> d a few folks comments with little time on detecto
> r.
>
> If you will read everything I've posted about the
> Equinox here, some things should definitely jump o
> ut at you.
> Everything I've posted is based on real live hunts
> , comparing to some other detectors in the wild an
> d actual elevated off the ground test.
>
> There is one gent here who has read what I have po
> sted, won't say who.
> The clues are here though who this who is.
> And this "who" just not your average detectorist e
> ither.
>
> Nox works, is eye opener. For me anyways.
> You tube videos and test garden hoopla don't paint
> true overall pic of Nox.
> I know this much.
>
> See if you can solve the puzzle.

Lol

I haven't "misjudged" anything TN-schit-shooter grinning smiley

It's a freekin metal detector. It's bound to find coins, rings, buttons, etc. (as does any other detector!?).

It runs on different frequencies than others do and has some decent features (hence) it's going to find things in the mix at any given site that other units miss/ed (same as all others do vs one to the next). Should be evident to you by now via MY postings/threads of many different machines making many different finds in several pounded sites I've hunted for yrs and yrs -- but -- that equational fact and deductive thinking has escaped you/went over top of your head thus far (and usually does for greenhorns like you).

What the Equi-flop is = a machine targeted to the masses of weekend warriors who do a little of this, a little of that, some of this/some of that in a multitude of sites and is targeted to compete somewhat with the ATP/ATM, the Deus and the like with a few features that help it to be a decent unit in all of the above but a master at none when it comes down to it vs the top specialized contenders in what they do best.

What the Equi-flop isn't = it's NEVER going to be/beat the FBS units for deep turf coin hunting in modern trash or otherwise,,, it's never going to be/beat the top Iron sifters in their environment,,, it's never going to be/beat the top gold nugget hunting machines in what they do/are designed for,,, etc etc etc.

Some of us hardcore (30/40+ yr vets) are waaaaay too experienced/knowledgeable to be so gullible as to fall victim to all the hype/BS and run out to give our $$ away for just another mid priced/range all arounder type unit that (sure) may not be a slouch at many task but is not the absolute top contender at any task either -- and/but then some of us obviously aren't so wise either!

You like the thing? = Good for you. Hope it serves you well but I'm not drinking the Equi-flop koolaid/buying into all the hype/BS like so many here did/have. There's nothing you or anyone here can say or show me to ever convince me that some $700/$800 all terrain/do all unit is the destroyer and obsoletor of all other VLF machines that came before it when it's clearly evident for all to see and for those with a 1/2 a brain to know that THAT is nothing more than a load of hyped up marketing Bullschit to sell the gullible masses on (and/but some of us though,,, like me,,, were a lot faster to see/know this)! Can it find stuff?? Ummm,,, yeah,,, ALL metal detectors do! WoW = imagine that!?

Can/does/will it fill a niche in the market?? Not in my book/toolshed it can't and won't because I want & need THE ABSOLUTE BEST for the job at hand when I head out to the sites I hunt so that I can be confident in the fact that I'm armed with the best for the job at hand. I don't want/need just an okay unit or a pretty good one or close match/etc = I want THE best and that's what I spend my $$ on. Sorta like the clowns that hunt deer and whatnot = will a 30/30 winchester shoot a deer and do a good job at killing it? YES in many instances! BUT if it were me = I wouldn't even look at a 30/30 because I'd be using a 30.06 (I mean) when it comes down to it = the 30.06 is a better/more powerful rifle and can do the job better in many aspects (long range for one)! Is there something better for deer hunting? Maybe but I'm not up on it anymore - all I know is that a 30.06 is a far better/more long range accurate/more powerful rifle than a cheesy 30/30 brush/all arounder type rifle!

This my rifle/this my gun = this for fightin/this for fun grinning smiley
March 10, 2018 06:41PM
Well,
Time will indeed tell, now won't it.

My momma didn't raise a fool either.

Funny thing is the Nox is the first detector I have seen you single out as a weekend warrior detector.
What about all those others you bought in the last 5 years.
Any of them weekend warrior types?

I'm a wise ole greenhorn. I like that.

I have some poetic justice ready to serve the folks here.
It's about time for me to share.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2018 06:43PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 10, 2018 07:09PM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > MRH,
> > You have misjudged the Equinox
> > You based your opinion on a few you tube videos
> an
> > d a few folks comments with little time on detec
> to
> > r.
> >
> > If you will read everything I've posted about th
> e
> > Equinox here, some things should definitely jump
> o
> > ut at you.
> > Everything I've posted is based on real live hun
> ts
> > , comparing to some other detectors in the wild
> an
> > d actual elevated off the ground test.
> >
> > There is one gent here who has read what I have
> po
> > sted, won't say who.
> > The clues are here though who this who is.
> > And this "who" just not your average detectorist
> e
> > ither.
> >
> > Nox works, is eye opener. For me anyways.
> > You tube videos and test garden hoopla don't pai
> nt
> > true overall pic of Nox.
> > I know this much.
> >
> > See if you can solve the puzzle.
>
>
> Lol
>
> I haven't "misjudged" anything TN-schit-shooter grinning smiley
>
> It's a freekin metal detector. It's bound to find
> coins, rings, buttons, etc. (as does any other det
> ector!?).
>
> It runs on different frequencies than others do an
> d has some decent features (hence) it's going to f
> ind things in the mix at any given site that other
> units miss/ed (same as all others do vs one to the
> next). Should be evident to you by now via MY post
> ings/threads of many different machines making man
> y different finds in several pounded sites I've hu
> nted for yrs and yrs -- but -- that equational fac
> t and deductive thinking has escaped you/went over
> top of your head thus far (and usually does for gr
> eenhorns like you).
>
> What the Equi-flop is = a machine targeted
> to the masses of weekend warriors who do a little
> of this, a little of that, some of this/some of th
> at in a multitude of sites and is targeted to comp
> ete somewhat with the ATP/ATM, the Deus and the li
> ke with a few features that help it to be a decent
> unit in all of the above but a master at none when
> it comes down to it vs the top specialized contend
> ers in what they do best.
>
> What the Equi-flop isn't = it's NEVER going
> to be/beat the FBS units for deep turf coin huntin
> g in modern trash or otherwise,,, it's never going
> to be/beat the top Iron sifters in their environme
> nt,,, it's never going to be/beat the top gold nug
> get hunting machines in what they do/are designed
> for,,, etc etc etc.
>
> Some of us hardcore (30/40+ yr vets) are waaaaay t
> oo experienced/knowledgeable to be so gullible as
> to fall victim to all the hype/BS and run out to g
> ive our $$ away for just another mid priced/range
> all arounder type unit that (sure) may not be a sl
> ouch at many task but is not the absolute top cont
> ender at any task either -- and/but then some of u
> s obviously aren't so wise either!
>
> You like the thing? = Good for you. Hope it serves
> you well but I'm not drinking the Equi-flop
> koolaid/buying into all the hype/BS like so many h
> ere did/have. There's nothing you or anyone here c
> an say or show me to ever convince me that some $7
> 00/$800 all terrain/do all unit is the destroyer a
> nd obsoletor of all other VLF machines that came b
> efore it when it's clearly evident for all to see
> and for those with a 1/2 a brain to know that THAT
> is nothing more than a load of hyped up marketing
> Bullschit to sell the gullible masses on (and/but
> some of us though,,, like me,,, were a lot faster
> to see/know this)! Can it find stuff?? Ummm,,, yea
> h,,, ALL metal detectors do! WoW = imagine that!?
>
> Can/does/will it fill a niche in the market?? Not
> in my book/toolshed it can't and won't because I w
> ant & need THE ABSOLUTE BEST for the job at hand w
> hen I head out to the sites I hunt so that I can b
> e confident in the fact that I'm armed with the be
> st for the job at hand. I don't want/need just an
> okay unit or a pretty good one or close match/etc
> = I want THE best and that's what I spend my $$ on
> . Sorta like the clowns that hunt deer and whatnot
> = will a 30/30 winchester shoot a deer and do a go
> od job at killing it? YES in many instances! BUT i
> f it were me = I wouldn't even look at a 30/30 bec
> ause I'd be using a 30.06 (I mean) when it comes d
> own to it = the 30.06 is a better/more powerful ri
> fle and can do the job better in many aspects (lon
> g range for one)! Is there something better for de
> er hunting? Maybe but I'm not up on it anymore - a
> ll I know is that a 30.06 is a far better/more lon
> g range accurate/more powerful rifle than a cheesy
> 30/30 brush/all arounder type rifle!
>
> This my rifle/this my gun = this for fightin/this
> for fun grinning smiley

Wayne, I agree with your thoughts on the machine 1,000%. It's not that it's a bad unit, because it's most certainly not, IMO. It's actually quite an impressive detector. However, the drawback for me and my buddy was, it tries to do too many things, and it accomplishes all of them...BUT only to a fraction of a degree that specialized, standalone units can do.

Granted, I didn't put the hours on the machine that many here have, but I don't think anyone would argue with me that the Nox is MAINLY an unmasker. That's its strong suit and the market they're going after...and that was the issue for me. There are a LOT of unmaskers out there (Racer, T2, F75, Impact, etc.), so to me, it was more of the same old, same old. Yes, it offers multiple frequency, selectable single frequencies, tone break and a bunch of other stuff, which again, is really quite impressive - especially at the price point they're selling at. But at the end of the day, it's still just another unmasker.

For deep coin hunting, it was just okay. Not having the FE/CO info, not having great modulated audio, not having an accurate depth meter, and a host of other issues made me realize it definitely wasn't going to beat the Etrac, CTX's or any of the "older" Minelabs. And as the beach hunters are starting to report, there are issues there as well, like calling iron and bottle caps as good targets, etc.

If someone is a jack-of-all-trades type of hunter, the Nox would make a lot of sense. Or, maybe if someone just hunted carpet of nail types of sites. That's where this unit will shine, and is really worth the investment. For any other type of hunting though, yes, the Nox will be able to get the job done, but not as good as a dedicated standalone machine can do. And that's why I no longer own one.
March 10, 2018 07:09PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:

> What about all those others you bought in the last
> 5 years.
> Any of them weekend warrior types?

Yeah = the ATP for one = a piece of crap imo

for a min I thought I liked it until the piece of schit leaked and fried the motherboard

lets see,,, hmmm,,, any others I can think of??

Not really at the moment because I don't like or buy the all arounder/all terrain type units anymore since the CTX hit the scene and that fills that niche PLUS much more

and that's what is meant by a "weekend warrior" type unit = the all terrain/do all type machines -- not single freq. stand alone/made for one specific application type units (just so we're clear on that)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2018 07:46PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
March 10, 2018 07:41PM
Wayne I was hoping you were going to be one of the relic hunters to try out the Nox..
I’m not a relic hunter but enjoy reading about the relic hunts and techniques used..
I only have around 6 hours on my 800 but I can tell already there is something going on with the Multi-IQ..
I picked a spot that I had gridded with my E-Trac earlier this year.. I was very surprised at what happed on that hunt..
When I was walking back to my truck I was going to sell my E-Trac until I realized I wouldn’t
have a backup if the Nox broke..
I don’t know, but Equinox performance might be soil dependent and those with more mild soils maybe might not get the same results as me..
The Equinox is powerful, fast and it loves very small, deep brass and lead. (Deep barber dimes too winking smiley Should be a great relic detector..
Think about giving one a go.. I would love to hear your impressions of it..

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2018 07:42PM by Cabin Fever.
March 10, 2018 09:31PM
Nice. I bet it would do even better in virgin 1800's sites here in Michigan

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 11, 2018 04:17AM
Well we have a detector review here posted by a person who has never touched the detector.
Must be one of those so-called copy and paste reviews.
You know the same one's some folks here complained about.

For relic hunting I wouldn't trade my Nox for 2 CTXs detectors. Knowing what I do.

I expect to see some great things had by Cal, Tom, Dean, Bryan, Steve, and anyone else I forgot here using Nox.
March 11, 2018 06:35AM
"One silver coin does not a detector make"!
March 11, 2018 02:21PM
Has anyone taken a nox to a trash laden park where digging has to be kept at a minimum?
Inquiring minds want to know the results of nox in modern trash!
March 11, 2018 03:46PM
Dirt Dog Wrote:
> Has anyone taken a nox to a trash laden park where
> digging has to be kept at a minimum?
> Inquiring minds want to know the results of nox in
> modern trash!

I have hunted with a friend and his Nox a couple times in modern parks full of modern trash that have been hunted mercilessly with contemporary detectors and detectorists. The silver was removed years ago as it never was very deep when the real recovery began but occasionally a masked or lucky coin will appear. The Nox has been unable to compete with the CTX in these venues in either ID or unique discovery. It has seen all the targets the CTX has seen but it's users ratio of good to bad targets is much greater which is to be expected since he has much less experience with the NOX. The 13 TID nickel thing has been proven to a be a totally bogus claim as the CTX (which can't find nickelssmiling smiley ) has shown the NOX a few that read both above and below the magic 13 number that the CTX was clear on. The ground here is terrible usually running 5 to 10 on the recommended sensitivity on the CTX .

My friend is not familiar with his new wand yet so I will remain open minded about the NOX's potential but I'm in no hurry at this time to acquire one. I suspect any great finds from the Fan Boys to be more a factor of locations than of machines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 03:49PM by shoveler.
March 11, 2018 06:07PM
Dirt Dog Wrote:
> Has anyone taken a nox to a trash laden park where
> digging has to be kept at a minimum?
> Inquiring minds want to know the results of nox in
> modern trash!

Yes.. This is almost entirely how I hunt.. old city parks, curb strips and an occasional old home when I get the courage to door knock..
I am impressed with the Nox so far.. My E-Trac is now officially in backup position after another hunt yesterday...
In fact I would sell it if I didn’t fear being without a coin detector because of a possible Nox breakdown or loss..
The Equinox is so much faster in the trash and it appears to be deeper also.. I still have to verify the depth claim by running
both detectors over a wild coin, but I have a very good grasp what FBS does in my soil after running both CTX and E-Trac for the last
3 1/2 years..
I have found coins that I do not believe my E-Trac would have hit on.. Some because of they were next to iron and 2 because of depth..
I have never dug a 10” coin with the stock 11” coil of either the CTX or E-Trac.. I have done that already with the Equinox and I only have about eleven hours on it..
7 Wheats, 2 Indian Heads Cents, 2 silver dimes, 1 Buffalo and an old religious pendent in my first 11 hours of learning a new detector on pounded city parks..
Lots of deeper clad too that should not have been there considering how hard these areas have been hit..
I cant imagine what I will be able to do with the Equinox after I get a couple hundred hours on it..

Bryan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 06:12PM by Cabin Fever.
March 11, 2018 09:57PM
Assuming your sites have lots of can slaw, how are you able to avoid digging it, if you are?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
March 11, 2018 10:13PM
ncwayne Wrote:
> Assuming your sites have lots of can slaw, how are
> you able to avoid digging it, if you are?
>
> Wayne

Here is a pic.

Cut parts of Mountain Dew can.
All pieces shown in pic are single layer, except one, the one second from right in pic. It is double layered.
ID of targets from left to right.
Smallest on left reads 4-5
Next piece reads 8-9
Next piece reads 10
Next piece reads 12 (double layer)
Last bigger piece on right reads 13 ( this is in nickel range- not high conductor coin range, not even in IH coin range)

Cheers.
March 11, 2018 11:13PM
ncwayne Wrote:
> Assuming your sites have lots of can slaw, how are
> you able to avoid digging it, if you are?
>
> Wayne

I’m not sure what your intended targets are Wayne.. If your after gold jewelry your going to dig slaw all day in a city park.
If your after old coins like me you will only run in to it chasing Nickels.. Most small can slaw comes in 12 and below..
Rolled up and broken Beaver tails hang out in the Nickel range.. If you want to cut your slaw, tab digging to a minimum
don’t stray from 13 for more then a point.. Nickels lock very hard on 13 in my soil.. If you dig only solid 13s you will
dig very little aluminum but you might miss an occasional nickel.. Especially a War Nickel that might bounce a point higher..
If you don’t like tabs stay out of the 15-18 zone.. It’s real easy to cherry pick with the Equinox if that’s your thing..
I use depth as a gauge to help widen my dig range.. I will dig any non ferrous signal if in the Old depth zone of that particular location..
For example you won’t find tabs at say 7” and deeper at a particular area so everything non ferrous 7” or deeper could be a great find..

Bryan
March 12, 2018 02:11PM
It all comes down to different strokes for different folks......a Chevy will get you from New York to California and so will a Mercedes Benz....just a different ride..