Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Which brand of pinpointer do you use?

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
January 01, 2019 03:31AM
I use a Garrett carrot, but am wearing the tip thru. I'll be shopping for a replacement in spring. Which brand is your favorite?
Re: Which brand of pinpointer do you use?
January 01, 2019 04:11AM
At this point in time & after using a bunch of them--the Whites TRX .is the hand help pinpointer I prefer.
January 01, 2019 04:15AM
I have to step in and say; Fisher F-Pulse..... for many reasons.
January 01, 2019 04:29AM
I bounce back and forth between the TRX and F-Pulse. The more I use the F-Pulse the more I don't like it. I keep going back to the TRX. F-Pulse and my GPX do not play together well. Sometimes the F-Pulse just goes nuts on its own and I have to give it a few whacks to get it to stop. I don't like any of the Garretts or the Minelab pinpointers.
January 01, 2019 04:38AM
I have been using a carrot for a few years and have also worn through the tip. Still works though.
In the last year I have bought and tried the Whites TRX, Minelab Pro-Find 35, And Fisher F-Pulse.

After all that I’m going to buy another Garrett Carrot. It’s my favorite out of all of them.
My second favorite is the Pro-Find 35 and then F-Pulse and last would be the TRX.

I actually have a nearly new F-Pulse for sale if you decide you want one.
$85.00 Shipped with original box and Manual. Looks new and is the latest model.
My first one had a couple issues so I returned it and received this new one which only has a little over an hour on it.
Sold

It’s just too finicky for my liking and slows me down too much.

Here is a link to my ad.

[www.treasureclassifieds.com]

Bryan

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2019 08:32PM by Cabin Fever.
January 01, 2019 04:40AM
Way back when, I started with an old Vibra Probe, followed by a SunRay X-1 with my Explorer XS and Etrac, changed to a Pistol Probe to lighten my FBS detector after a shoulder injury and have been using a Garrett Pro Pointer AT (carrot) for the last few years. Likeable, no troubles with it. Battery seems to last forever. I like the size / weight of the Garrett Carrot and the functionality of my Pistol Probe. I will be watching this post as I like having a backup. I hunted for many years without one and don't want to go back to that due to an in the field failure.

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
January 01, 2019 04:52AM
I’ve went through 2 black Garrett’s, one I sent one back and they wanted $100. to fix it, so I said “what you’re telling me is to just buy a new one right?”.
Currently using a TRX.

Aaron
January 01, 2019 05:06AM
F pulse, just make sure you don't use lithium batteries!
January 01, 2019 05:19AM
Fisher F-Pulse.

A little quirky but I like it.
January 01, 2019 05:33AM
I use the xp mi-6 pin pointer but I liked the Whites TRX too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2019 05:34AM by GreenMeanie.
January 01, 2019 05:37AM
Whites TRX. Also Land / Sea Pinpointer pulse (waterproof 20ft).....never any falsing.
January 01, 2019 06:45AM
deteknix X-Pointer = Price & Reliability

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
January 01, 2019 07:40AM
F-Pulse, with an older TRX backup in the truck.
January 01, 2019 08:13AM
I use the Garrett carrot. When I forget to bring it I have a Tek point & a black Garrett in the truck. The Tek point makes my GPX go nuts & falses a lot.
January 01, 2019 10:30AM
Main pinpointer is a original black Garrett,backup Whites Bullseye,DX-1 inline probe for the DFX and also a modified shorter Tesoro Compadre with a 4'' coil on for deep hoard/relic hunting when using either the TDI Pro or Nexus Machines.
January 01, 2019 10:42AM
Deteknix X-Pointer, no complaints.
January 01, 2019 11:33AM
Still using older Garrett propointer. Do use MI-6 occasionally with Deus.

Have the following backups.
TRX
Makro
MI-6

Been tempted to get f pulse. Seems there is a love hate relationship with it had by folks, so haven’t bought.
January 01, 2019 01:34PM
Garrett carrot but I have had some issues with them and will be shopping around before long..
January 01, 2019 01:56PM
Started out with hand/dirt waving over coil..... then used the walkie talkie shaped Whites Bullseye. Black Garrett after that. Garrett Carrot, present.

Waving over coil is too slow and you have to break up the plug on occasion.

Whites Bullseye was ok if you only had "it" to use. Sens on coins, almost had to make contact.

Black Garrett, simple, sturdy, worked well until I broke the switch sliding the board out before taking off the rubber button....had to tweezer the switch back together, it's so small and delicate. Got it back together by luck alone.

Garrett Carrot...I like it overall, had it since it came out. I don't like the method they have for changing sensitivity.

Once you use a pinpointer, hard to go back.....it's just too efficient.
January 01, 2019 02:32PM
Garret PP2 is my favorite. The PP AT and Fpulse/Tek-Point close second. If the fpulse/tek-point fit my buzz bomb sheath better it would probably be #1. TRX depth with garrett 360 detection.
January 01, 2019 02:39PM
Deteknix X Pointer for me it is cheap and works just as good as a Propointer.
January 01, 2019 05:29PM
In addition to the TRX and Land-Sea waterproof Pinpointer (exact performance as Deteknix/Quest)....I still have a Pistol Probe. If the Pistol Probe had a headphone jack it would be great. The speaker is weak, but the Pistol Probe on (In-Ground) depth test will beat my TRX. One of my favorites is the Pocket Probe, but the Pistol Probe is still deeper. All of the Garrett pinpointers I've had will false after a year. The Fisher F-Pulse will false right out the box.....it is deep, but combine that with 360 detection ==== no longer a pinpointer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2019 07:12PM by Arkansas.
January 01, 2019 05:31PM
I am always on the look out for a better pinpointer. I have a carrot in both my beach and field belts so I can swap if I need a back up. I am thinking of carrying 2, a short range and a long range but haven't decided what would be #2.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
January 01, 2019 07:19PM
Tek-point (green version of F-point)...

can anyone speak to the 'quirkiness' they're seeing with these 2. Mine seems to 'lock up' too many times, need to unscrew the battery cap, wait a bit, recap and it comes back to life. this does seem to happen more often when it's cold, say less than 10 degrees C. also, it begins to stop beeping and needs a turn off then on, sometimes pretty often, this is frustrating and it seems to go thru batteries (fresh duracells) too quickly IMHO. any tips to remedy? When it works though it's my favorite.

also, when I use it with my EQ 800 I have to manual noise cancel to -3, to cut down on the interference....anyone else have this issue?
January 01, 2019 07:44PM
Merlin
January 01, 2019 07:50PM
canslawhero Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tek-point (green version of F-point)...
>
> can anyone speak to the 'quirkiness' they're seein
> g with these 2. Mine seems to 'lock up' too many t
> imes, need to unscrew the battery cap, wait a bit,
> recap and it comes back to life. this does seem to
> happen more often when it's cold, say less than 10
> degrees C. also, it begins to stop beeping and nee
> ds a turn off then on, sometimes pretty often, thi
> s is frustrating and it seems to go thru batteries
> (fresh duracells) too quickly IMHO. any tips to re
> medy? When it works though it's my favorite.
>
> also, when I use it with my EQ 800 I have to manua
> l noise cancel to -3, to cut down on the interfere
> nce....anyone else have this issue?

Yes I did. I've owned 5 f-pulse pinpointers and the last 2 I sold before I did any testing other than they work good out of the box. The other 3 hated me.. falsing alot, chattered, locked up regularly and did have to remove batteries to get it to turn off and start over. They would just start going off for no reason no matter what sensitivity settings I used.. just way too much craziness to keep. Garrett propointer AT is great but I've seen several wear through the tip within a year. I have heard if that happened Garrett will not cover under warranty.. the minelab profind 35 is nice so far.. plays nice with all detectors I've had. So we will see
January 01, 2019 08:09PM
canslawhero Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tek-point (green version of F-point)...
>
> can anyone speak to the 'quirkiness' they're seein
> g with these 2. Mine seems to 'lock up' too many t
> imes, need to unscrew the battery cap, wait a bit,
> recap and it comes back to life. this does seem to
> happen more often when it's cold, say less than 10
> degrees C. also, it begins to stop beeping and nee
> ds a turn off then on, sometimes pretty often, thi
> s is frustrating and it seems to go thru batteries
> (fresh duracells) too quickly IMHO. any tips to re
> medy? When it works though it's my favorite.
>
> also, when I use it with my EQ 800 I have to manua
> l noise cancel to -3, to cut down on the interfere
> nce....anyone else have this issue?

Yes, yes, and yes. That's the same thing all of us local guys have ran into with ours. Also why I said, the more I use mine, the less I like it. Seems like more time in the field with it, I discover some other little quirk with it. The locking up thing happens quite regular with me, and I've not used mine in the cold yet.

The TRX though...I think I messed it up this summer by having it on my digging pouch while I was water hunting so much. I know at one point, it quite working all together and water had gotten up into the battery compartment. Then after a week or so, it came back to life. Since then, it will work flawless some times...and then some times it takes a mind of its own and also lock up, just steady beeping in the air...and or when you turn it on, it just wont detect anything until you turn it back off and give it a few love taps.

And just think...those two are the ones I like the best out of the ones I've tried. Haha.
January 01, 2019 08:32PM
On another Forum someone mentioned that the TRX is waterproof, but its water-resistant at best (still like it). I never used the waterproof Nokta pinpointers.....might be good. Always nice to have pinpointer models comparing Pulse and VLF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2019 08:40PM by Arkansas.
January 01, 2019 10:23PM
Whites TRX
January 01, 2019 11:06PM
I've tried many different types over the years and liked the Garrett AT carrot but it falsed on me too many times to keep. Since I have a Deus I use the MI-6 with it because I like the ability to hear it through my headphones as most pinpointers are weak in the volume department. The SunRay X-1 was a good pinpointer also due to it's ability to discriminate as well as be heard through the headphones. I'd like to see a similar pinpointer that could be used the same way as the X-1. Being able to discriminate would be a plus for me.

As far as use with my other metal detectors I have recently bought the MI-4. The F-Pulse works pretty good for me too. However...after saying all this...I have to give some kudos to the Deteknix pinpointer. It is very reasonably priced and is one of the loudest I have owned.

I use these now:
MI-6 with Deus
MI-4 and F-Pulse with other units I own
I also carry a Whites TRX when I need straight out "on-the-tip" depth. Deepest pinpointer I have.

Just my 2 cents worth of info that works for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2019 12:40AM by Charles (Sabre)(Tx).